PDA

View Full Version : Rome: Total Realism

Oskaar
11-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Anyone playing the 6.2 update yet? Beats the heck out of vanilla Rome Total War! I love it because you can play the Illyrians as a faction. I just finished wiping out the Greeks, Macedonians and Romans. Now it's on to the Selucids, Puniis (Carthage) and Egyptians!

Life is good . . . dead Romans under boot, rapine, plunder and burning villages topped off with a frosty glass of mead!

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE
11-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Ah, the real reason your posting rate has slowed. LOL

Wrathwilde

Oskaar
11-01-2005, 09:33 PM
I have to admit that once the business is finished for the day RTR really is taking up a lot . . . and I mean a LOT of my time. They (totalrealism.org) have really done the research on each of the empires, armies, battle tactics and especially the graphics of the ancient era. Everything is very well researched and nicely authentic. As with anything there are some differences between history and game play, but that's inherent when translating history to entertainment. The music is great and so is the whole battle experience. Lots of screams, clanking of sword and spear on shield, it's just great stuff.

The number of historical battles has been knocked down to two (Magnesia, and Cynoscephalae) and they're in the process of writing more of them so hopefully in the next patch we'll be able to go up against some really one sided odds in the historical battles.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Jmattioli
11-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Hey Pete,
Take it easy on the Romans in the future they are friends with the Croatians
lol, :D
Joe

Oskaar
11-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Don't worry Joe, I'm going after the Romans but taking it easy on the Italians, Apuglians and Latiums. I'll leave your relatives alive to make sure you're still around in the future! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear
11-03-2005, 02:06 AM
Please take it easy on the slavs and dacians, they're my ancestors. If you pulverize them, I'll fade away :'( LOL

Ted

lostnbronx
11-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Ha!

Gauls, Germans, and Anglo Saxons here! We're like cow shit dung...we're everywhere! Who will be the 21st Century's Eurotrash America, if not us?

-David

Mynx
11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm an Old World Mutt myself.

Mostly Scottish, then German, Ukrainian, and English. Born in Seattle and raised in Canada ;)

HomeBrew
11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Yet another mutt here...

Mainly German (Schleswig-Holstein) and Irish (Couny Cork) with a smattering of Scottish, French and Spanish.

Born and raised in SD and currently serving a self-imposed exile in IA.

Peace.

Angus
11-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Hey, if your talking about the Romans attacking and taking over, we Brits are still looking to repay the favor and build a wall across your country.

So bring it on, you little skirt wearing, straight road building, couldn't stop a bunch of elephants from walking over the Alps and invading losers!

Sincerely,

Boadicea.

P.S. The Vandals said to say hi and that they'll see you next spring.

;)

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-03-2005, 05:41 PM
My heritage is mainly English. We can trace back to Kent County, England in 1640 and I actually stumbled on some older records while trying to validate my personae name for the SCA.

Angus, you needed to preface your invitation to invade England with a "take a chance, Custard did!". It seems to apply really well in this case... ;D ;D ;D

Oskaar
11-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Too late Angus,

I wiped out the Romans and am now decimating the Puniis (Carthegenians). I'm playing as the Illyrians (Modern day Croatians).

Hadrian's wall was quite a feat of engineering for those short little Romanii. 15 foot ditch eight feet across, with a berm of the dirt they dug the ditch with behind it, and then the wall proper behind that.

I'm pretty sure it was to keep the Northern Brits (Scots) from coming in and asking to borrow money from them every day. "Can yoo loan me three quid til Tuesday?" LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Angus
11-03-2005, 07:16 PM
True, it was to keep the Picts out.

The amazing thing is that, even though the wall was built north of Yorkshire, which is north of Sherwood forest, Robin Hood and his Moore companion walked there in half a day on their way from Dover to Sherwood ??? ??? ???

'Build it, and he will come...way past where he should be.'
'Don't be too hard on him. He is American you know. Probably just lost.'
'What's an American?'
'Don't know. Some sort of Bible salesman I expect.' :D

Angus

Oskaar
11-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Just finished wiping out the Punii and the Ptolemys. Those stinking Ptolemaic chariots did a number on a couple of my armies. I finally ended up lobbing arrows at them with my Scythian Horse Archers while I moved my foot troops back and then brought the phalanxes into formation and skewered the bastards. Geez, all of that so I could capture the Pyramids and the Pharos at Alexandria.

On to the Selucids and Parthians next.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Oskaar,

What are the minimum machine requirements for the game?

Thanks,
Pewter

Oskaar
11-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Here are the specs from totalwar.com

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

* English version of Microsoft® Windows® 98SE/ME/2000/XP
* Pentium® III 1.0GHz (1000MHz) or Athlon™ 1.0GHz (1000MHz) processor or higher
* 256MB RAM
* 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
* 2.9GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 500MB for Windows® swap file)
* 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
* 100% Windows® 98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
* DirectX® 9.0b (included)
* 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.
* ATI® Radeon 7200
* ATI® Radeon 8500
* ATI® Radeon 9000
* ATI® Radeon 9500
* ATI® Radeon 9600
* ATI® Radeon 9700
* ATI® Radeon 9800
* All Nvidia® GeForce 2 and higher

Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipsets listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Rome: Total War™. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility.

Multiplayer Requirements:

* Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported.
* Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers.

LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers

You can get the Rome Total Realism mod at http://www.rometotalrealism.org

I finished off the Numidians, Parthians, Pontians, Iberians, Selucids and Bactrians in the last session. Now it's time to move on the Scythians and the Germans.

I love this game.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Looks like I need to get a new computer for Christmas! Thanks for the excuse....

Oskaar
11-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Sho `nuff.

Watch yourself because it can get addictive! ;)

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Sigh....

Went out and bought Rome: Total War. My computer runs DirectX9.0 since SIMS2 runs for my kids. Installed it and started the Prologue. Works fine through the video and the first four or five steps on the strategic map, then it dies back to the desktop when it starts to switch over to the first battle... I am assuming that this means I need a new computer to run it?

But it looked good... so now I am searching the BestBuy adds for a better computer...

All your fault Oskaar... gonna blame you when my wife asks... ::) ::) ::)

Oskaar
11-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Bummer dude,

Good news is that you're getting a new computer out of it!

If it keeps peace in the house blame it all on me 8)

There are some great support forums for RTW at http://www.totalwar.org, a lot of good strategies and ideas.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Good news is that you're getting a new computer out of it!

If it keeps peace in the house blame it all on me 8)

Oskaar,

Well, rather than buy a new computer, since the salesman told me none of the new ones they had would run the game, I went out and got a fancy graphics card (Nvidea 6800?) and installed it last night. The game works! A lot of good stuff in the game. Playing through the prologue is fun. But a bit frustrating in that things move so fast in places. I looked for a speed setting and couldn't find one. Need to play with it some more tonight. I did manage to get to bed before midnight! Such willpower...

Pewter

Oskaar
11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
That prologue game is a fairly good intro, but it does move a little fast in some places, I had the same experience.

Here's a link to Frogbeastegg's Guide to Rome: Total War:

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=38382

Lots of great information, and plenty of strategy stuff in there along with some tweaks you can use on the game to make it a bit more user friendly for you.

Have you decided on a faction yet?

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-22-2005, 02:45 PM
No faction decision yet... are the Brits a viable faction?

Oskaar
11-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Not as I remember. The Gauls, Germans, Iberians, and Illyrians are the barbarian factions I remember off the top of my head.

Have a look at rometotalrealism.org because there are ways you can modify the various configuration files to enable the playing of certain factions.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Osakaar,

Consider yourself chastised for introducing me to something that burns so much time! Actually, it has been a godsend since I had the flu for the past three days and needed something to do other than watch soap operas. Doing a basic imperial campaign as the House of Juli? and have defeated Gaul, Greece and Carthage. Am finishing off Spain and starting on the rebel cities in Turkey...

It is interesting how the various factions have different weapons/units. First battle with Macedonians spearmen was a bummer...

Thanks,
Pewter

Oskaar
11-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Yup,

Them Makedonac are pretty tough customers. I usually pin them with some cheap infantry backed up by some better infantry and roll their line up from the sides with my cavalry. Of course my last campaign was as Makedonija and I made the entire campaign map black. The Selucids and Ptolemies were the toughest factions (damned pachyderms!!) but I buffed up my archers to 6 units and just rained flaming arrows on them until they ran amok! Nothing like the sound of elephants running amok amongst your enemies! LOL

I'm on the last of my turkey too.

Oskaar <----- Thinking of making more stuffing

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Macedonia and Spain fell last night..

I can vacation on any of the islands in the Med since I own them all...

Turkey has fallen into rebellion and the individual cities are falling before my Roman hordes...

Bribery is a good thing... I do hate having to slaughter conquered populations, but they revolt if I spare their lives and just I have to kill them anyway. It's what I get for trying to be nice...

I keep getting told it is time to take Rome. Not sure I want that yet...

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Turkey has been crushed by Rome and her allies...

Egypt is crumbling under assault by Roman cohorts...

And plunder is our friend ! Looting large cities is good for your economy ! ;D ;D ;D

Oskaar
12-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Hey Pewter,

Addictive isn't it!! Which difficulty setting you using at this point? It's a kick to start up another campaign as a different faction too. I like running the Makedonijans and in Rome Total Realism I like running the Illyrians because the overall campaign difficulty is really high because they're not supposed to be able to take over the world.

Anyhow, it's a totally intense game, I really like it.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Oskaar,

Playing version 1.0? (no patches installed yet) at the default (normal/normal?) setting. My 9 year old is playing easy/easy as the Gauls. My daughter was playing one of the other Roman factions but lost interest and went back to SIMS2. After I win this campaign I will likely install the patches up to v1.2 and look at playing something else. I was thinking being the Brits but might take some faction over in Turkey. Dunno yet but it is addictive!

You still get blamed if my wife complains...

Thanks for the recommendation,
Pewter

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Well, I have my 50 provinces conquered and the next step is Rome. I am assuming that all hell breaks loose when I attack Rome, right? Maybe I should take the two other Roman factional capitals and reduce them to rebels before taking Rome itself? Advice?

Oskaar
12-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey Dude,

I like offing the other factions before I hit Rome, but it works fine either way. You'll pound them to dust without much of a problem. Have you had the Senate send you messages to kill your faction leader? I always tell them to piss-off. That way I can take Rome since they declare you an outlaw when you do that in the Vanilla version.

I hit Rome with a good stack of 20 units mixed missiles, artillery, infantry and cavalry. I also have a couple of my armies close laying siege to the City as well, that way I'll be able to bring up reinforcements if the battle becomes protracted.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-05-2005, 02:55 PM
If I take the capitals of the Roman factions, do they fall into rebellions like the barbarians do?

If I take Rome, do I get control of her navies?

Oskaar
12-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Once you take Rome the SPQR faction is destroyed. You don't get their navies as they become rebels, and the vanquished become rebels as well, or mercenaries. I make sure that I exterminate every man in any army I face. It doesn't stop the rebels, but it helps to cut down on them ones that travel the countryside and sit on the roads.

With cities that riot and then rebel I move my army outside the city gates, let them rebel and take the City, then I go back in and re-take the city and exterminate the population. You can also give the City and some money to another faction, then turn around and re-take it and wipe out the population. Either way you pick up some denari and that's a good thing. Also a large navel presence at all ports in your sphere of influence helps to cut down on rebel activity both at sea and on land.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Mu
12-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Most of my university friends are addicted to this game…..Im yet to get my hands on it, not sure I want the kind of addiction it creates…Then again, Im a university student on holidays, what am I expected to do? <Other than brew and play computer games>

And as for heritage, im one heck of a mutt..

English, German, Swedish, Irish…And im sure im missing a few, but it means I like tea, beer, im good looking, and I talk fast ;D

Mu

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Well, I had my 50 provinces and Rome fell to me as number 51. The crowd cheered, the Senate hailed me as Emperor, and the game ended... kinda anti-climatic...

I started a new campaign, this time as the Greeks. Rapid expansion plus I am a financial powerhouse.

Fighting Brutii? in Sicily and holding my city there with little chance of expansion right now. Hoping that Carthage, which has the 3rd city on Sicily will start fighting the Roman allies and get them off of me...

Macedonia is gone except for some rebel remnants. The core and south end of the Greek peninsula is mine...

Bribing entire cities is fun if you have enough money...

But yes Mu, IT IS ADDICTING !!!! :o :o :o

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Anyone heard anything about Barbarian Invasions for Rome: Total War?

Oskaar
12-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Yup,

It's really popular. You can actually download mods for the vanilla RTW and apply them. Rome Total Realism is the mod that I play, and there are a ton of them out there. If you go to http://www.totalwar.org/ there are some great threads on modding the game and some great FAQ's on playing the mods, vanilla RTW and threads about strategies, etc.

Great stuff. Have you applied the patches from totalwar.com to your game yet? They increase playability and sharpen up the units.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-12-2005, 04:48 PM
My kids have games in process and so I wasn't sure if the mods would ruin them.

I have read the threads you provided earlier and they listed that the 1.2 patch messed up some things. Also 1.3 is supposed to be the patch for those not getting Barbarian Invasion. I am expecting to get it for Christmas since everything else I need I have to buy for myself (CO2 setup, mead filter, etc.).

My second campaign as the Greeks is about 2/3rd's done. The Italians are about finished and I am working on Gaul and Egypt...

I really enjoy the larger battles with the phalanxes of spears although the Romans are the only ones that are a real challenge. I may do my next campaign as Egypt and use the chariots or get someone that has elephants...

Is there a way to relocate your capital?

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, the world finished falling to Greece last night or should I say early this morning...

I will probably do a short campaign as Macedonia next... I want to try elephants since I saw what they could do to my Romans the first time...

Oskaar
12-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Cool, you should be the Macedonians and attack the Selucids too, they have elephants, and then you can match your phalanx up against the Selucid and Greek phalanxes too.

Have you played any of the historical battles yet? They rock, put them on hardest difficulty level and play Trazemine, Syracuse, Charrae(sp?) etc. The odds are stacked really heavily against you, but you learn alot about the enemy's strategy when they come after you. Good Stuff.

Also, you can move your capital by getting your City information scroll and going to the city statistics. There should be an option in the lower left of the stats scroll to make that city the captiol. The further away from the capitol your furthest cities out are, the more corruption. Sometimes when I have a city with a lot of corruption I'll build about ten full stacks of peasants from my totally loyal cities from my homeland, and ship them off to the cities in that area. Then I'll stage them outside the city, set the taxes on high, and withdraw my troops until they revolt. Then I go in and massacre the inhabitants, and send in my peasants, then disband the peasant units to repopulate the city with loyal subjects.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar.