PDA

View Full Version : Brewer's yeast? LostnBronx, por favor...

Miriam
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I came across an older thread where David (LostnBronx) mentioned using brewer's yeast if yeast hulls are not available. I thought that interesting, because yeast hulls are not for sale here, while organic brewer's yeast is. My question is, wouldn't it lend its characteristic flavor to the drink? Or does that disappear with the fermentation?

David, have you done this?

Miriam

WRATHWILDE
11-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Here's a suggestion if you want to increase the amount of dead yeasts available for your pitched yeast. Make a small starter with the yeast you plan on using, let it go for a day or two. Boil the heck out of it to kill the yeasts then add it to your must for the pitched yeast to feed off of.

Wrathwilde

lostnbronx
11-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Miriam,

I have not personally done this, since I've had yeast hulls packaged as a homebrew additive available to me since I first heard of using them (mumble-mumble) years ago. I have read of brewer's yeast being used in this fashion several times though, with no mention of off-flavors due to it. Remember, you're only adding about 1/2 tsp. per gallon, so I doubt that something which is oftentimes a reprocessed and packaged byproduct of the brewing industry (probably not the organic stuff, though) will lend much in the way of yeast tastes to your meads.

Wrath has a great suggestion for making your own yeast hulls. Killing a package of wine yeast just to add the nutrients to a batch might get expensive, but what if you were to just save your sediment from the next straight mead you make? Pour it into boiling water, then strain it out through a few layers of cheesecloth; dry it in a slow oven or dehydrator; put it in an airtight bottle; and ta-da! (More-or-less) organic yeast hulls!

-David

Miriam
11-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Wrathwilde, thank you, this sounds good. I'm going to try it

David, Wrathwilde suggested using part of the yeast package for a small starter. My batches are 2 gallons max, so I could spare a little yeast, I think. No?

I like the salty, nutty, yeasty taste of brewer's yeast, but it makes me noivous to imagine it going into wine, even in the tiny quantity you mentioned. I've never used anything but plain yeast nutrient - now I'll have to go back and read about yeast hulls again.

Miriam

byathread
11-09-2005, 03:36 PM
I use yeast hulls in most of my meads. When brewing beer I normally throw a couple packets of dry ale yeast (the crapy kind that come with brew kits - my LHBS gives them away) into the boil as nutrient. Has not negatively impacted my ales.
I also sometimes save a bit of the lees after racking and throw it into soups and sauces for human nutrient. Never thought of making my own yeast hulls. Think I'd end up with more than I'd ever use, but a great idea.

-Kirk

WRATHWILDE
11-28-2005, 03:16 AM
Wrathwilde, thank you, this sounds good. I'm going to try it

Always Glad to help.

Wrathwilde

Talon
12-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Also, you might like to look into yeast culturing so that you don't have to use 2 packages of yeast for one batch. You could ostensibly use one package to innoculate closer to 20 batches.

I'm personally looking into this myself and will let you know how it goes... Getting myself the equipment for Yule/Christmas.

Talon.