PDA

View Full Version : a-MAZING music . . . or, what do you play

Oskaar
11-08-2005, 05:32 PM
While you're making mead?

Here's the question:

Do you have music going while you make your mead? If so, what kind of music (Artist, album, favorite song are all fair game)

Or do you watch TV, listen to the radio, point your telescope at the neighbor's daughter home from college as she lays by the pool?

What floats your boat while you maze?

Oskaar

HomeBrew
11-08-2005, 06:15 PM
I always play music and it is usually The Grateful Dead or Bob Marley.

Just say no to TV.

I only listen to NPR on the radio, but can't get any stations down in my dungeon.

I live in the country with no one nearby, so watching the neighbor's daughter is not an option...I am not saying that I would or wouldn't 8), it is just not an option

Peace.

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Hmmmm.... I actually listen to my son's rock band a lot more than anything else.... named Breaking Even... a couple of their songs are available online at www.myspace.com/breakingeven .

Other than that it's 70's rock like Chicago, Three Dog Night, Deep Purple.... My cellphone ring tone is Innagoddadivida by Iron Butterfly.

I tend to be a TV and computer junkie. I love Lost and Surface. Certain reality TV shows entertain me although Survivor and several others seem to reward the worst in humanity so I have quit watching them...

Angus
11-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Jethro Tull, mostly. Winter brewing usually involves Transiberian Orchestra.

Angus

David Baldwin
11-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Enya is often heard playing in the background when I'm mazing

David

mouko_yamamoto
11-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Enya, ewww! Just kidding. I listen to whatever music that fits my mood... Rock, rap, classical, blues, techno, oldies, latin...

CheshireCat
11-08-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm usually listening to various dreampop stuff like Elbow, Black Box Recorder, etc. Although it's not unheard of to hear Great Big Sea or Seven Nations being played loudly from the den. :)

My taste in music is very eclectic, and playlists have been known to include everything from rock to hip hop, classical to Jpop and everything inbetween!

Oskaar
11-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Traditionally I kick off my mazing and brewing sessions with "Bertha" by the Dead. Kind of my song to fend off infections, moochbags and various other dangers to my mead. Once I have everything arranged I generally listen to whatever seems to fit the mood of the brewing session. Last time I was making mead was late in the evening so it was "Fires at Midnight" by Blackmore's Night.

When I'm doing a traditional old country recipe it's usually Legen Paunov Ples (Peacock Dance - Croatian Ethno Ambient tribal music done on modern and period instruments) it's really driving stuff. I like a lot of the Blackmore's Night music when I make mead. Pink Floyd, Green Day, the Dead, LOTR (Fellowship, Two Towers and ROTK) Soundtracks, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and the Suspira Soundtrack are also often heard in the Meadworx. Transiberian Orchestra is great during the colder months, along with Gregorian Chants, Dead Can Dance, Tangerine Dream, and a lot of Ludwig Van are also in the mix.

If the TV is on this time of year it's usually College Football or DVD movies or DVD music. Right now as I type I have the Passion of the Christ Soundtrack blasting away. The Dracula 2000 and Punisher sountracks are great for making high gravity/large volume batches!!

OK Homey, luckily I don't have to use a telescope, the next door neighbor's daughter likes laying by the pool when she's home from College. Just something to sweeten the mead! ;)

Oops, almost forgot the Bladerunner Soundtrack.

Cheers,

Oskaar

abejita
11-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Spanish punk rock - La Madre, Smouk, Los Muertos de Cristo, Necesidad de Luchar, Sin dios

Nick Cave
Kanye West
Team Dresch

Brewbear
11-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Let's see here,
A lot of 70's rock, dipping to the 60's and on up to the 80's and 90's. Also classical, jazz (depending on the mood) greek folk, pop, italian pop, just about anything other than heavy metal and rap.
Eagles, UB40, Bob Marley, The Stones, Beatles, Vivaldi, Bach, Ravel, Mozart, Strauss (all of them)...Garth Brooks, George Thorougood?,Fats Domino, Muddy Waters, Sarah Vaugn, Adriano Celentano, Gianni Morandi, Nat King Cole....

Ted - trying to remember the others

Brewboy
11-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Transiberian Orchestra (year round, especially with their "Beethoven" CD.) Emerson, Lake and Palmer. MeatLoaf. Moody Blues. ELO. Queen. Three Dog Night. Crosby, Stills and Nash. BB King. Duke Ellington. Louis Armstrong. Bach. Beethoven. Tchaikovsky. Wagner.

(I dare you to try making a "small" mead or ale while listening to Beethoven's "Fifth", Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" or Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture". You just can't do anything subtle with that music in the background!)

Trevor

Miriam
11-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Astor Piazzola (very evocative to me)
Keith Jarret's Kohln concert
Irish: the Chieftains and the Coors
Spanish classical guitar
...no Beatles anytime anymore - I saturated myself with Beatles for 25 years and now I've had enough...
Bossa Nova
Sometimes I just turn on the radio and listen to whatever's going on in the local stations. I like quite a lot of Israeli music, both oldies and new. (But I don't like hearing the news every hour.)
Classical - especially Bach
Madrigals and motets
Jazz, on the quiet side
I listen to music that enocurages introspection while I'm working with the drink. Or indeed while I'm making soap, or any other creative/manual job. The stuff that makes the blood run faster and gets you on your feet to dance is for other times.

Miriam

Angus
11-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Miriam,

Exactly why I listen to Jethro Tull while I am brewing, because it encourages introspection. 'Songs from the Wood' is music that seems to have been written while drinking a nice Ale or Mead and it is just right for putting me in the mood to brew. The songs are earthy and natural.

Trevor, I thought I was the only one to listen to TSO year round (not just the Beethoven disc). Bit strange listening to Xmas music in July, but hey, it's winter in Australia!

Angus

P.S. One of their guitarists has a most excellent name too!

memento
11-09-2005, 09:49 AM
interesting lists. Good to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra listed twice! I've seen them every tour since day 1. Their roots go back to a band I grew up with - Savatage. They did an album about Sarajevo called Dead Winter Dead and one song on that blossomed into the whole TSO phenomenon. "Christmas Eve". If you're willing to explore TSO's roots and listen to something heavy but very moving, pick up Savatage's Dead Winter Dead CD. I always wonder, with the TSO audience, how many of those people would still be there is they knew where TSO came from! :) And interestingly enough (or not), I've been a huge fan of Alex Skolnick for years. He started in Testament, then helped out Savatage when their guitarist was killed by a drunk driver, then ended up touring with TSO on their East Coast shows.

But back on topic, when I'm working on my mead, I've always seemed to end up wanting to hear Bathory. Either Hammerheart or Twilight of the Gods. Some real norse music, Quorthon being of norse lineage himself.

Mynx
11-09-2005, 01:28 PM
The playlist on our network is close to 6000 songs, so I usually just have that on random. Course that encompasses anything from Rammstein to Nine Inch Nails to the Pogues to New Model Army to Medieval Babes to Bjork.

If I'm making beer, I put on Flogging Molly, Black 47 or the Pogues. Good, toe-tapping Irish/punk/folk music :)

David Baldwin
11-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Well, aside from my fondness for Enya, I also enjoy the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, the Chieftans, Josh Groben, and Owain Phyfe while I am mazing. Most anything with bagpipes will do too.

Most fo my mazing is done in the late evenings, so I like something soothing and contemplative while I am working.

David

Dmntd
11-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Some of my favorite pieces to brew by include, Johann Sebastian Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - concerto for two violins - volin-harpsichord sonatas - violin concerto No. 1 in A minor - violin concerto No. 2 in E major and Brahm's violin concerto in D major.

Bands I like to brew to include, Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs, King Crimson and Buffalo Springfield.

Anthony

Oskaar
11-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I like mixing my must to Beethoven's Coriolan Overature! It's really intense, driving stuff that makes you want to hammer on something! Good to beat water and honey to!

Cheers,

Oskaar

JamesP
11-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Mixing up a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange would require some music from a past era ;D

Angus
11-10-2005, 10:39 PM
In the Hall of the Crimson King. Great musicians, wierd music.

Fripp has to be one of the most incredible guitarists in the world, but out there.

As for the drumming, Brufford still is amazing, but get off the electronic drums and get back to tha classic Rimshot!

Angus

WRATHWILDE
11-10-2005, 11:07 PM
"It's like, my pleasure in other people's leisure." Doin' a little Trainspotting Angus? Great movie... I haven't felt that good since Archie Gemmil scored against Holland in 1978. ::)

Wrathwilde

Angus
11-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Ah, Wrathwilde.

Again you chase my quote down. Have to change it again! No Googling now ;)

Angus

P.S. '78 World Cup. One of the best goals ever! Perhaps the 'Foot of God' there. Only 7 months more to go till Germany :D

WRATHWILDE
11-11-2005, 12:54 AM
You'll have to pick a harder one than that! :P

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=103&topic=1481.msg11620#msg11620

Check out my reply to Oskaar on 7/31/05

Wrathwilde

Miriam
11-11-2005, 03:26 AM
Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs! Aaaagh! I used to love him, he was outrageous.

Miriam

Bands I like to brew to include, Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs, King Crimson and Buffalo Springfield.

Anthony

WRATHWILDE
11-11-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm not even breaking a sweat here Angus, I got your quote Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

Wrathwilde

andrew_buhl
11-12-2005, 12:23 AM
I like to listen to lots of stuff

Thunderstruck ACDC
Cry - Philosopher Kings
Home For a Rest - Spirit of the west
Ride of the Valkeries - Wagner
Fighter - C Aguilara

Odd stuff - I never said I was average!

Brewbear
11-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Hey David (Baldwin),
Do you listen to Josť Angel Hevia?
Try http://www.higheroctave.com/HOalbum_set.php?thispart=HO265 he plays electronic bagpipes.

Ted

David Baldwin
11-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Ted,

I've never heard of Jose Angel Hevia, but my wife recognized the name. I have been trying to download the samples, but my DSL connection is being a brat tonight.

Electric bagpipes - now that's a concept that takes a bit to twist my mind around.

David

Brewbear
11-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey David,
Just happened to see his show a while back (actually it was the soon-to-be ex-girlfriend that made me sit down with her and watch it) on PBS and I must tell you, that was one of the best suggestions she had :-[ It was a great show!

Ted

Angus
10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
It's been 3 years since this one made the rounds, and we have a whole new batch of Meadmakers to provide their input. So, I will resurrect the topic.

What music do you listen to when brewing?

I have recently gone mental on Irish music and drinking songs. Here is a link to one of the latest I found:

Barleyjuice (http://www.imeem.com/groups/BQXX3Lup/music/1Fa8HLy0/barleyjuice_all_for_me_grog/)

Enjoy!

liff
10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
For me, sometimes I get frustrated and a little mad when I enjoy the hobby. So I generally listen to mellow music.

When not making mead, Otep and Arch Enemy are the 2 bands I listen to most.

Oskaar
10-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Duing the crush for my Zin it was Deep Purple - Made in Japan (Live) Extended Version. During most of the punch down sessions it was Evanescence.

For the Cysers it was Gong - Expresso and Passport - Iguacu.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Vino
10-31-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm a noob, but generally for all brewing I listen to Reggae from Martha's Vineyard, Club Trini (Greenidge & Utley), and the Republic Tigers...slows me down from my normal break-neck pace.

Angus...The wife and I love TSO...we usually see them every year in DC, this year we have great seats for their Birmingham show on December 20th...but I can't imagine trying to brew to that...

Bryon
11-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I've only recently gotten back into brewing so the music I listen to is what I've been into lately

Irish punk/folk Dropkick Murphy's, Flogging Molly. Pogues, Great Big Sea.

Ther e is some Folk Metal in there too. Tyr, Korpilkaani.

If Music isn't playing that I'll have the movie "The Boondock Saints" playing in the back ground. love that movie.

Sountracks are always in the mix as well.

Another few weeks and it'll be time to dust off the Mannheim Steamroller.

Pretty much anything up beat and fun.

I'm always finding new stuff that I never heard of before and adding it to the list.

Medsen Fey
11-09-2008, 06:02 PM
The yeast at my house seem to do their best work when I play Steely Dan! And funny enough, if I drink enough mead, the lyrics start to make sense. 8)