PDA

View Full Version : Chatroom Saturday Night

lostnbronx
11-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Okay folks,

Howzabout we do an officially unofficial GM Saturday Night Chat, since things can be a little quiet around here on the weekends? Starting at, say, 9:00pm Eastern Standard Time (U.S.A.), and going until whenever...? Any interest? I mean, I'll be there -- hope to see ya'll too!

-David

Consul
11-17-2005, 07:41 PM
I just might show up... Sounds like fun. :D

Mynx
11-17-2005, 09:27 PM
*If* I dont have anything major going on in EQ2 I'll likely pop in ;)

(yes yes, geek girl and proud of it)

BeerBaron
11-17-2005, 09:30 PM
I can't imagine I'd have much to contribute but I'll show up.

Alden
11-18-2005, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't mind showing up, but I have an SCA event that I'm going to on Saturday and will probably not return home until late.

lostnbronx
11-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Cool!

Remember, right now the indicator on the bottom of the main Forum page reads "There Are 0 People Currently In The Chatroom" even when/if there are lots of people in there. It's a glitch the chat people are working on, but in the meantime, if you log on and see no one in the chatroom, check it out anyway.

-David

lostnbronx
11-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Just a reminder about this, one and all, to keep it up on the Recent Posts List.

See ya'll there and then!

-David

Miriam
11-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Wish I could join...but your 9:00 PM is my 3:00 AM! Never mind, someday I'll visit the States and then I'll log on... :D

Miriam

Consul
11-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Are we doing the chat room thing again tonight?

lostnbronx
12-03-2005, 09:14 PM
I'll be doing the chat tonight, 9:00pm Eastern time, for any and all interested. Had a strange, sudden obligation pop up last week -- nothing interesting either. :(

Hope to see some of you tonight in the chatroom!

-David

Consul
12-03-2005, 09:55 PM
For some reason, I've been banned from the chat room for "Patent user harrassment", which is odd, because I've only ever been on twice. I've emailed them about it.

They explained that sometimes, they'll ban an entire ISP, which again is odd, since SBC has a huge userbase, and for some of us, it's the only high-speed option we have.

Can anyone tell me if they've seen my nick around in the chat rooms any other time than on Saturday nights?

Consul
12-03-2005, 10:05 PM
I would also like to say that in no way was I ever abusive to anyone on that network. As I said, I was only ever on in the one channel (room), and only twice.

For anyone who knows how, I'm logged into irc.nightstar.net as Consul. You can join #nightstar_bar and find me. :)

Consul
12-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I suppose I could have said I'd be on AIM, too (thanks for saying hi, Wrathwilde). :)

I also found out last night that it was only the nick that was banned. I was still able to log on using a different nickname and a standard IRC client (I'm using xchat for Windows). For those who wish to use the client of their choice (instead of the Java thing), just point your clients to:

irc.everywherechat.com

It works just fine. I'm thinking there's someone else using the nick Consul that is causing trouble. I never cause trouble for anyone... *cough*

Vicky, some of the others have mentioned that you are still interested in possible alternatives to the current chat application. I'm sure I can help here (I'm a Linux system administration and web development guy in my day job) and I've already found some possible alternatives. Please feel free to let me know one way or the other.

PS - On the current chat, I'll be known as Panurge.

There, coming over Charaton Bridge... (a free cookie to the first to get the reference.) ;D

Oskaar
12-04-2005, 02:22 PM
. . . Look do you see the man who is poor but rich.

That would be Gentle Giant's Octopus Album, song is "The advent of Panurge"

Good old Kerry Minear, LOL. They really cycled through the Shulman bros. too!

Consul
12-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Very rarely has there been such a fantastic group of all multi-instrumentalists: six guys all swapping instruments around as fast as they could on stage to keep up with their own arrangements. That must have been a sight to behold. :D

Mu
12-06-2005, 07:41 AM
I made a brief stop in…Good to see people in the chat room, and chatting <Surprisingly allot of people just sit in a chat room with there username wile browsing other windows?> :-\

lostnbronx
12-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Hah! Anybody waiting on MY sorry typing skills needs to do something to keep from falling asleep!

Still, it's a fun time for those of us with some extra on our hands on Saturday nights. Subjects often start with mead/brewing/etc., but quickly take flight to other lands. Barring incident, I'll be there this Saturday at the same Bat time, same Bat channel.

-David

webmaster
12-07-2005, 04:23 PM
'k, Consul, I did some checking, and Joomla doesn' t really have a great chat host. E me and lets figure out how we can integrate your chat suggestion into the new site.

Vicky - about done with the SMF chat system

Consul
12-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Okay, I'll bring it up with Eric when I get home (which is around 8pm eastern time). I'll find out exactly what the task entails and send you an email. Sound like a plan?

webmaster
12-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Sounds good to me!

lostnbronx
12-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Hey Boils and Goils,

Chat it up tonight, starting 9:00pm tonight until whenever! Be there. Aloha!

-David

lostnbronx
12-17-2005, 06:32 PM
6:00pm Eastern time tonight, folks. See you all then and there!

-David

Dmntd
12-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey David,

I'd love to chat, but there's no x-java-vm plugin that works with my O.S.

Anthony

lostnbronx
12-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Sorry, ya'll -- I meant to write 9:00 Eastern!

Anthony, try going to mirc.org (http://www.mirc.org) and downloading the chat client -- I'm going to be using it tonight, myself, since the GM Java chat client is pretty unstable. I did some tests with the client I downloaded earlier today, and it seemed to work quite well.

-David

Mu
12-17-2005, 11:34 PM
For Australians it’s a Sunday afternoon about 2.00-2.30pm I think.. <Victoria>

Mu.

Dmntd
12-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey David,

Xchat works with my O.S. What's the #name and which server are you on?

Anthony

lostnbronx
12-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Anthony,

It's Gotmead for the room, and EveryWhereChat.com for the server. Hope to see you soon!

-David

lostnbronx
12-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Most people will probably have too much to do tonight to spend it online, but in my house, we aren't up to anything until tomorrow. I'll be on at 9:00pm Eastern time tonight, for any and all who want to pop in.

And if I don't see ya there, have a great holiday, one and all.

-David

byathread
12-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Man, I keep meaning to drop in but....life happens. I'm shooting for the first Saturday in 2006. Or maybe a Sunday afternoon sometime???

Cheers,
Kirk

lostnbronx
01-07-2006, 03:49 PM
I'll be on 9:00pm Eastern time tonight. Hope to see ya'll there!

-David

beesknees
01-08-2006, 02:35 AM
HI there,
new to this site and wondered what's here?
starting a vineyard and adding bees to the mix to formulae mead... what are the other ithing cpoke of in the international entry ...yes i am new
~

lostnbronx
01-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Hey Folks,

I'll be on at 9:00pm tonight. See ya then!

-David

hellbringer
01-15-2006, 07:33 AM
anycase anyone is interested i thought i would mention this.

There are programs out there that let you talk to many people at the same time with a headset, its close to telephone quality if you have decent headsets. And some of you might enjoy this more than typeing.

Anyways here are some websites to check out.

http://www.ventrilo.com/ <--My number one choice

http://www.goteamspeak.com/ <-- I havn't tried this one but heard its great too.

Now the deal with ventrilo and prob teamspeak as well is you need someone to host a server for it, i have no idea whats all involved. I do have a friend who has a ventrilo server and might be kind enough to set up a chat room.

lostnbronx
01-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Sorry, folks, but I'm not going to be home tonight -- that's no reason, though, for the rest of you not to chat, chat, chat the night away! See ya'll later!

-David

Mu
01-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Well ill be in there for a little while, so if anyone’s about and what’s to have a chat, im there.

Mu.

Dmntd
01-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Hey David,

I think it's time to upgrade to a better IRC host for #Gotmead. Everywhere chat is overly messed up, and to worried about bots.

irc.bondage.com may be a better host. At least you can create channels on the fly, and they don't suspect everyone who logs on to the server as a bot or something.

Anthony

lostnbronx
02-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Anthony,

That site is down right now, apparently. I'm in complete agreemant with you, though, about the hinkiness of Everywherechat.com, and the need for something new. Vicky will need to approve anything that points directly from GM to a new chat server, obviously, and I think it would be a basic goal to have another online Java chat client in place of the current one, so people wouldn't need to have a client of their own. I'm not too experienced with the whole chat thing as it is (GM really was the first one I ever went into, barring a few experimental forays here and there), so open suggestions for a replacement for Everywherechat.com might be in order now.

-David

webmaster
02-05-2006, 01:03 AM
If y'all can find something that will integrate in one of the following ways:

1) into Joomla
2) into Simplemachines
3) as a wrapped script or iframe

I'll put it in the site. Just get me the info. I don't have time to work on it just now, too many other disasters breaking out, including 2 client sites to finish before Wednesday night.

teucer
02-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Over in the "chat disabled" thread I suggested irc.magicstar.net, which I've seen an html client for. I went ahead and registered a #gotmead channel, and am going to try to find out about the technical side of making it work without an IRC client. In the meantime, we can chat there with one.