PDA

View Full Version : Want to help move Gotmead into the new content management system?

webmaster
11-29-2005, 06:28 PM
If you'd like to see Gotmead become more intuitive, and be able to post your own recipe blogs and lots of other cool things, I need lots of grunt work done transferring data from the old layout to the new one.

Stuff that needs doing:

- enter glossary terms
- enter recipes
- enter content
- lots of other stuff

If you're interested, PM me, and I'll set you up with a editor login on the new site (at http://www.gotmead.com/index.php) and show you how to do the thing you'll be doing.

Meanwhile, folks, I'm going to be 'opening the doors' for folks to submit articles and lots of other stuff to the new content management system version of Gotmead. First thing to go on there will be Miriam's book, and Angus' article on newbie mead-making.

Interested? Then tell me what you'd like to see, what you'd like to put in, and what sorts of things we need to have there.

NOTE: The site is still in 'layout' mode, and all sorts of stuff is still either unpopulated or just plain not finished, so work with me here, this is a work-in-progress.

Vicky - off to help her daughter with her mythology project for a couple hours

Greenblood
11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
What skills must one possess to help you out with these tasks? Is this just a simple matter of data entry, or are html/php skills needed?

webmaster
11-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Mostly data entry, though some areas will need a basic understanding of HTML. A lot is just copy and paste, pretty simple stuff.

Vicky - who has found some *cool* RSS feeds to add to the site

Brewbear
12-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Hi Vicky,
I have no clue of HTML but I can surely copy & paste!
Count me in to help the best I can! what I lack in skills, I'll make-up in motivation ;D
Cheers,

Ted

CheshireCat
12-01-2005, 01:08 PM
I can lend a hand. I can cut and paste like a champ. My grasp of HTML is little at best, but I have been known to dabble.

webmaster
12-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks to all y'all who've responded here, in PM and via email!

What we need is specifically the following (for all you who asked):

- copy and paste the recipes on Gotmead into the new format

- copy and paste *valid* links from the old layout to the new layout. This is copy and paste, just gotta check if the link is live, and make sure to put it in the right category (I'll have those set up)

- enter the meadery data (copy and paste)

- enter the honey supplier data

- enter the equipment supplier data

- transfer articles (will require some HTML basics)

- copy and paste the MeadLoversDigest data (already set with HTML, copy and paste only required) - this one is *huge*, there are over 1000 digests out there

That is what I have right now.

If you want to play, then set up an account at http://www.gotmead.com/index.php (those of you that had problems, I fixed it, sorry), and let me know what you're interested in. I'll set up your access level and send instructions on how to get to the data (or send you a zip file with the data).

Vicky - pathetically grateful and heading back to figure out menu structures on CMS systems....

Brewbear
12-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey Vicky,
That is one SWEET looking site ;D
Sign me up for the C&P job! If you want to send Zip files, I can handle them, you tell me what you need me to do, PM me if you want, I'm ready ;D

Cheers,
Ted

JamesP
12-06-2005, 01:49 AM
I volunteer for the recipies.

Does that include Bees Lees II, or just the list of GotMead & submitted recipies (http://www.gotmead.com/mead-recipes/gotmead-recipes.shtml) ?

Also, is there a way to add them without all the recipies appearing to be mine (I'm not that good!)?

webmaster
12-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Want to tackle the meaderies? It's not for the faint of heart, you'd not just be c&p the data in the old site, you'd need to go to each meadery's site (it they have one) and get a list of their meads (some are wineries or breweries that make mead, we'd only want the mead) and put that in too.

Thanks for the complement on the site! I'm fairly happy with it....

Lemme know......

Vicky - working on menus for the new site today

Hey Vicky,
That is one SWEET looking site ;D
Sign me up for the C&P job! If you want to send Zip files, I can handle them, you tell me what you need me to do, PM me if you want, I'm ready ;D

Cheers,
Ted

webmaster
12-06-2005, 09:18 AM
It includes the recipes on the old site (and the BLII & I), recipes here in the forum and any others you think are good. There is a field for who originally submitted it, so you won't look like you created them all....LOL

Vicky

I volunteer for the recipies.

Does that include Bees Lees II, or just the list of GotMead & submitted recipies (http://www.gotmead.com/mead-recipes/gotmead-recipes.shtml) ?

Also, is there a way to add them without all the recipies appearing to be mine (I'm not that good!)?

Brewbear
12-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Meaderies??? I'll drink to that!!!
Shoud I make a document in Word and then C&P them, each as a separate entry?
I can do that. Let me know how you want it done, also, do we have a list now? Do you want them by state/country?

Cheers,
Ted

webmaster
12-06-2005, 12:24 PM
You can find my latest list here: http://www.gotmead.com/commercial-mead/index.shtml

Each will have its own entry. Don't worry about sorting them, the software will do that, once I get the code tweaked (working on that today after menus). We have US meaderies, Int. Meaderies, Brewshops, Honey suppliers and Stores that carry mead as the categories in the lists.

You can view the existing entries here: http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_contxtd&catid=30&Itemid=55

If anyone wants to see other types of lists, lemme know. This doesn't include Links to personal mead websites, thats another section. (And on the list to get transferred). If you want to submit your own mead website, you'll need to sign up for an account on the new website. (Yeah, I know you've already got one here, but the bridge software for SMF to the new CMS isn't working right....::sigh::)

Vicky - whoohoo! I got flyout menus on the new site ::doing the menu Happy Dance::

Meaderies??? I'll drink to that!!!
Shoud I make a document in Word and then C&P them, each as a separate entry?
I can do that. Let me know how you want it done, also, do we have a list now? Do you want them by state/country?

JamesP
12-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Vicky,

two of your added recipies cannot be found, and it didn't take the one I tried to add.

I think the recipe database has got itself all mixed up.

webmaster
12-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I'm having issues. Its weird, they're all there in the table, but the system isn't seeing them. I'm working on it.

Vicky - working on the recipe layout too

webmaster
12-06-2005, 07:31 PM
OK, happy DB for the recipes now. I had to go and manually fix the data. I'm trying to get a field in there for the recipe owner, but the php code isn't happy with the way I'm doing it, that's what messed up the index for the recipes.

James, the code is easy enough for me to figure out, but I'm missing something that messed up the cookbook_recipecategory table when I uploaded the new code and tried to add a recipe with the new field and then display it. I've got the code saved, but can't figure out where I'm dropping it (it's probably an extra ; or something......)

::sigh:: Nothing like reverse-engineering a recipe db.....

Vicky - learning PHP on the fly here

JamesP
12-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Don't forget to modify the sql that gets run when the form is posted - just try'n to guess - if that helps.

JamesP
12-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Vicky,

Some feedback to add to the list of things to get around to (maybe):

The Ingredients and the Direction & log notes overlap each other with long lines (eg,
Black Raspberry Horilka)
It would be nice if there was a three-level tree listing of Mead, Mead Category, Recipe name (rather than the current two level listing)

webmaster
12-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Strange you should mention those. I'm working on figuring out the recipe display, it worked with the original site template (which was a default template for Joomla, the CMS), but not with this one. I'm messing about with the PHP code (I've trashed the page about 20 times so far) to get it worked out.

The display from 2-level to 3 level *would* be good, except I expect to have several hundred recipes in there, and that will make a pretty long list. I'm working on getting it to display, tho.

Vicky - heading off to bed, only got 3 hours last night, and 6 am comes early...

JamesP
12-07-2005, 03:12 AM
Vicky,

a few questions on the recipies:

Where does Maple Mead fit in? (Answered this myself when I found out what Acerglyn was :-\ )

Where do the non-mead entries go (wine, Liqueurs,...) ?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I have been adding initials (or something that identifies the author) as an addendum to common "Recipe Titles", to make each title quasi-unique.

I have left the added recipies as unauthorised recipies. So if the naming convention is OK, I will "authorise the recipies" - or better still, someone else can do a sanity check on them.

webmaster
12-07-2005, 01:08 PM
I have categories for Wine, Liqueurs and Beer, just gotta create the types. I'll try to do that today.

I don't suppose anyone can help me figure out why the new design is appearing too wide in IE? I've been up and down the code, and no joy so far. It looks fine in FF, but in IE it's about 5% too wide. I'll be happy to send the main template file to anyone who thinks they can see what I'm missing on getting this sucker to display correctly.......

Vicky - working on coding/layout changes today

Angus
12-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Send it over and I will take a stab at it. Use the us.ul.com address.

webmaster
12-07-2005, 03:58 PM
OK. Is anyone other than me seeing http://www.gotmead.com/index.php too wide at 1024x768 in IE? I'm seeing a scroll bar at the bottom, and 'search' is off the screen.

Vicky

Oskaar
12-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Nope! But I'm at 1600x1200 on this workstation. I'll check out my others and my laptop as well, but they all looked OK to me earlier on!

Cheers,

Oskaar

webmaster
12-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks! I'm not going to mess with it if it looks ok to everyone else ("It's just you, Vicky!"), so I'll table it until I get some feedback on this and continue moving content.....

4 pages down, 1496 pages to go.....LOL

Vicky - getting ready to HTML the MLD archives with a new layout to fit in here......gotta figure out if I can do a DB upload and do it wholesale...

lostnbronx
12-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Looks good to me in both IE and Netscape at 1024x768. Nice layout, too!

-David

webmaster
12-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Aghhhhh! I've gotten all the MLD digests converted to HTML, and there isn't a decent importer for Joomla to bring them into the site in a pile. There's over *1200* of the bloody things, and I'll be *danged* if I'm not going to figure out *some* way to dump them into the database without having to do this one at a time......

In other notes:

- I've imported all the quotes (under the header on the new site)

- I've created *most* of the sections and categories for the files, and will start dropping in the old pages. Once that's done, I'd love it folks could check out the pages in the new site and give me feedback on what needs updating, things you'd like to see, etc.

- JamesP is working on recipes (and meanwhile I'm working on getting them to display right, and the list to show up opened)

- Hedgehog is doing the glossary (which I haven't linked to the menu yet, but I'm getting there, it will be under mead resources)

- I'm creating a booklist (submit yours that aren't already here: http://www.gotmead.com/stores/mead-bookstore.shtml)

- I'll HTML Dan's Bibliography so there are clickable links

- Link in the *NEW SHOP* with a brew shop and a honey shop (inputting data this week), as well as GM pins, wooden mugs and lots of other cool stuff

Things I need: (via email please)
- list of beer types (for the recipe program)
- list of wine types (for the recipe program)
- your mead links (I'll be mining the forum for these too, as well as my personal bookmarks and my list at OpenDirectory)
- any recipes you'd like up there that aren't already here in the forum

Stuff you can do on the new site (either now, or soon)

- Your own brewing blog! Post your brewlog on GM so others can benefit from your skills, you can either allow comments or not.

- Podcast download - when we start podcasting (I'm getting equipment this month, I hope) you'll be able to pull it right from the site

- Newsletters sent with the latest GM updates

- Your own GM homepage (coming soon) at http://www.gotmead.com/yourhomepage

- Your own GM email address - Want to have a GM address? For a paltry sum, you can have yourname@gotmead.com (soon)

- File uploading and downloading - we'll be providing you a place to up/download recipe files, cool tools, etc.

::whew::

Thats just the start. More to come, time to read a bit, then sleep....

Vicky - programming my fingers 'til the prints are gone...

byathread
12-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Flippin' sweet! Some very exciting new features...you ROCK, Vicky!

Kirk <--- still waiting for Vicky to send me stuff to do ::)

webmaster
12-13-2005, 11:47 AM
::sigh:: If you've tried this morning to login to the new site, you probably can't. I can't login either. I'm talking with my hosting company, I think I have a sessions issue. Whenever I try to login, a session is created on the server, and in the DB, but it doesn't let you in.

I'm ticked, and pursuing it. Bear with me, folks.

Vicky - pissed at losing a day to fixing something that shouldn't be broke

webmaster
12-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Dangit. Something happened last night, and now the system won't let anyone log in to the new site. I'm working on it. *I* can't even log in. I might have to re-install the whole thing tomorrow.

Sorry guys, others have had this issue, something got glitched somewhere in the customization.

Vicky - frustrated and going to bed in hopes of a dream revelation on what the heck to do to fix this

webmaster
12-15-2005, 04:50 PM
For those of you that are helping with data entry, the logins are now fixed (after a complete re-install). If you have trouble logging in, use the 'forgot my password' function on the login box on the main page to get it sent to you.

Email me at gotmead@gotmead.com if you have problems, and thanks for your patience!

Vicky - vastly relieved that whatever database glitch caused this is fixed

webmaster
12-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Yay! Data is going in, and we're getting the *ALL NEW* Gotmead.com going. Angus is writing the Newbee Guide to Meadmaking (check it out!), Miriam has donated her fab book as a fundraiser, LostnBronx is going to be heading up our new Cartoon section, and several vunderbar, fab folks are toiling to get the *entire* archives of the MLD up on the site (you know who you are, and if I ever get a chance to bottle, yer all getting mead in the mail from this grateful Webwench).

I'm in the process of contacting as many of the old authors from the AMA Journals as I can find, to get reprint permission for their articles, and hope to lure Ken Schramm into penning some stuff for us.

Those of you out there visiting meaderies, let me know, and I'll arm you with questions for an interview, and *I need mead reviews*.

I'll be putting up a beekeeping section, and need folks who know about that stuff to help work out how it should be put together, as I'll be just getting into it later this year, so I'm a total newbee (LOL) in this.

Nows yer chance to tell me what you'd like to see. All the old site data will be transferred, but if you're wanting new, cool articles, nows the time to tell me!

Dan, I don't suppose I could sweet talk you for some of your historical expertise?

Vicky - happy things are working, and going off to *finally* get some sleep (LOL)