PDA

View Full Version : Cyser final gravity ?

Granite
12-08-2005, 05:07 PM
When should I stop the fermentation of my still cyser? Original gravity was 1.102 and it's down to 1.030. I'm using montrachet yeast to keep it sweeter then dry.

Here are the Ingredents for 5 gallons-----4 gal fresh NH unpast cider(Mac's, Honey crisp and golden D), 8 Lbs Clover honey, 1 lb muscavado brown sugar 1/2 lb black raisins, 1/4 dates and 1/4 figs. I used a huge 1/2 Gal starter, alot of yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme and an hour long airstone/hepa/fish pump set-up.

Brewbear
12-08-2005, 05:20 PM
You cyser should stand at 10% ABV give or take .5% or so. If you like the way it tastes, rack it, put it in cold storage/refrigerator to put the yeasies to sleep. After a week or so, check the SG and if it has not changed, rack onto K-metabisulfide and K-sorbate. The sorbate will prevent restarts, the metabisulfide will *take care* of any yeasties that didn't go to sleep. Check SG again in a few days, if there's no change, you're good to go.

Hope that helps,
Brewbear

P.S. Welcome to the forums. For more info, feel free to use the search (the one between Help and Profile buttons) you'll get a truck load of info.

byathread
12-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Welcome! This is the best place on the web to talk/learn about mead. Your cyser recipe sounds like a good one. I have to echo Brewbear's advice. Montrachet is capable of fermenting to about 14%, so if you let it go to alcohol tolerance, it should finish in the 1.000-1.010 range. If you want it sweeter, you'll have to stop it with chemical intervention (sorbate and sulphites) when it gets to your desired level of sweetness.

I'm an organic kinda dude so I say "Just say no! DARE to keep your mead off drugs!" :D LOL

WRATHWILDE
12-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the forum Granite!

I prefer back sweetening to artificial means of stopping fermentation. A guide to gravities for sweetness follows. Less than 1.01 is considered dry. 1.01 - 1.025 is considered semi-sweet. 1.025 + is considered sweet. I'd suggest letting it go to completion then back sweetening with some quality honey.

Wrathwilde

Granite
12-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm going to let it go a couple more days to hit 25 gravity units. Now when I rack it off the trub to condition, Is 50 degrees to warm for the yeast to fall out? I have 2 alts and four bocks in my lager freezer right now and I can not lower the temp much lower then 48 for the next 10 days. Thank you again and I'm sure I'll have alot more question in the near future. I live a few miles from Mclure's/Dutch gold, 6 gal pail of clover or wild flower for 70 dollars. I'm going to put in a special order for 6 gal of buckwheat honey,They only carry 1 lb bottlies at the factory so I have to wait till the next bottling session. . I'm going to make 4 or 5 different style braggots. I'm new to mead but I've been brewing all grain for about a year.

Hey brewbear, is the old guy/gal a mastiff? I have a 4 year old that i rescued a few years ago.

Oskaar
12-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Surf to your yeast manufacturer's yeast specifications page and check the temperature parameters, that will tell you what the optimal temperature range is for your yeast.

Cheers,

Oskaar

byathread
12-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Granite,
50 degrees will slow but not stop the yeast. It may not be enough to cold-shock them to clear the mead either.

SteveT
12-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi Granite,

<montrachet yeast> most charts show this one optimally operating between 15-25C or about 59-77F. Which means that 50F will slow it down.

Are you still in Bethlehem? Used to have a cabin in Dalton, NH...

Steve