PDA

View Full Version : How do you shop for the holidays??

Oskaar
12-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Are you a brick and mortar, click and mortar or a digital diva? Or, do you make your gifts for that personal touch?

Did you do most of your shopping online or at the mall, or a sub/superset thereof?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,

Oskaar

mouko_yamamoto
12-10-2005, 10:42 AM
The only thing I've got so far is a rose I made out of steel for my mom. Everything else I'll buy two days before at the book store.

Angus
12-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Both, but I much prefer the personal touch of holding it in my hands first. There are some things that you just cannot buy in the mall though, so online it is.

Angus

Way behind in the Christmas shopping.

Dmntd
12-10-2005, 02:16 PM
All the above, depending on whom the gift is for.

Anthony

Miriam
12-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Well, you guys...I don't shop. Nobody here does either, except heads of companies come Rosh HaShannah and Passover time, when the employees get gifts (better, a bonus). Even for Hannukah, gifts are mostly for the kids and not expected to be major.

As a child growing up in the States, I always received a good number of brightly-wrapped boxes at Hannnukah time. What with the advertisements and general shopping atmosphere, and every other kid getting gifts at that time of year, I would have been offended if my parents hadn't provided us with the same. But here it's not like that. We focus on family gatherings and festive meals, which like in any society require some planning ahead and expense; some gifts may be exchanged among the grownups too, but the whole gift-shopping thing is not present in most of Israeli society. In sober truth (you should pardon the expression ;D): I am glad to be out of the consumer madness that floods the States at this time of year.

Miriam

Wolfie
12-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Suprised this hasnt come up: I give out bottles of last winters mead. I bake for the non drinkers or children.

Brewbear
12-19-2005, 01:17 AM
Mostly brick and mortar. Went and done it all! I usually get 2 for mom, one she is "aware " of and spends a few days untill she finds it, and another I buy during extended lunch from work and keep at work untill the last possible moment. I leave it in the car and sneak out during the night and put it under the tree! I also make it a point to buy something I really want, have it wrapped at the store and put it under the tree with a card that reads : From Me To Me with love ;D

Cheers,
Brewbear

Miriam
12-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Once a year or so, usually for my birthday, I'll do the same: buy something I really want as a gift to myself. My husband has no idea how to buy good gifts, bless him. Last birthday it was a 6-week refresher course in French (awful how my accent has deteriorated!). Another time it was two days by myself in a spa. Hey - I hold everyone up and keep the world ticking over for a bunch of people; I'm worth it.

Miriam

Mu
12-19-2005, 07:17 AM
I usually go out and buy gifts but I like to make the cards. I haven’t really got anything of line, I did get the parts for my computer that way however…I built it with a friend. But I usually like to go out and find things, so a brick and mortar I guess.

memento
12-19-2005, 12:00 PM
I've done nearly all my shopping online for years - even gift certificates. Amazon and iTunes gift certificates will be popular this year. :) Never liked holiday shopping - too stressful and time consuming! Why get a toaster knife set from Filenes when you can order one from Amazon with free shipping?