• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

is this normal???

Barrel Char Wood Products

perrydave

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 10, 2005
hi, i just started my first of mead two weeks ago 15lbs honey in a 6 gallon batch. I also added 12oz blueberry puree, 14oz blackberry puree and and 1 pint cider into the must before cooking to 175f for 15 minutes. i cooled it to 70f before pitching with dry champagne yeast[don't really like very sweet mead]. after two weeks fermentation had slowed considerably, 1 bubble every 5 to 6 seconds. today i racked it into a carboy. i used a siphon hose and sanitized it and the carboy before racking. after about 2 hours in the carboy this started going nuts, blowing foam up into the airlock. there was no foam on top in inthe primary.is this normal or do i have a problem? did I rack to soon? i put the hose all the way to bottom of the carboy to avoid oxidizing.i would greatly appreciatate any advise or comments. Thanks, Dave

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Usually when you rack during the frequent bubble zone (anything more than one or two beats per minute {1-2/bpm}) you'll experience an activation of suspended yeast and driving-off of CO2. It should be fine in a couple of days.

What was your original gravity, and can you post the exact recipe in tabular format please (in the recipe section)

e.g.

15 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
H2O to 6 gallons
yadda
yadda
yadda

Thanks,

Oskaar

perrydave

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 10, 2005
thanks a lot, you were right it has settled back down and is behaving nicely. PS: i did post the recipe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns