• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

World Cup

Barrel Char Wood Products

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Yes, it is almost time for the greatest sports competition in the world.....

THE WORLD CUP

La Copa Mundial

Le Coupe du Monde

Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft

I thought I would incite some hooliganism here by throwing out the topic and asking the question:

Who will win in '06?

The USA is in trouble in Group E with both Italy and the Czech Republic.

Mu - tough draw man. Australia in Group F with Brazil and Croatia

Serbia against Holland and Argentina in Group C. Good luck there.

Mexico has it easy, with only Portugal to contend with in Group D.

As for England in Group B, easy sailing chaps. Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago, and Sweden. See you guys in round 2.

Angus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4466032.stm

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
I saw <places hands over face and shakes head> there is an interesting story behind Australia’s world cup qualification I may as well mention here.

John Safran who hosted a series here called “John Safran vs. God” learnt of a curse on the Australian soccer team, that’s right a curse.

“According to Warren, the Socceroos in 1970 asked a Mozambique witchdoctor to place a hex on their opponents Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, ahead of a World Cup qualifier.

The Australians went on to win the match but they refused to pay the witchdoctor, who then cursed them to World Cup failure.

While the Socceroos went on to reach the 1974 finals, Safran said the team's agonising failure at the last qualification hurdle in the three World Cups meant he wanted to take no chances ahead of the tie with Uruguay.

He found a witchdoctor in Maputo, Mozambique, and was able to settle the decades-old debt and lift the curse.” – Source: http://www2.sbs.com.au/national/index.php3?id=65502

So now that the curse has been lifted we managed to get into the world cup, but games before that were hit and miss in terms of wins.

We have beaten Brazil before so we might be in with a shot. My friend was saying if we can score 4 goals in total, and not give away any we could get it. I just say win every game 2 nil.

Mu.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You guys pulled Croatia? I'll make sure to watch that game, my brothers better kick some boo-taaaay or I'll make sure they won't be coming to LA for a tour! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Hey Mu,

Why not have the team pick up the ball and run with it a la Hawthorn Hawks?

Hell, Argentina were allowed to use their hands in Mexico to beat England. Why shouldn't Australia?

:D

Angus

"Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you. Amen"

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
Well we do have a game like that, we play against Ireland, um god I can’t remember what it’s called. It has football goals <AFL> and a soccer goal. They use a soccer ball, and you can tackle.

But hey if you can get away with using your hands…Why not a hip and shoulder?

Mu.

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Angus,
It's supposed to be: Ausie, Ausie, Ausie, Oy, Oy, Oy!!!!!
It sucks that Romania didn't qualify, I'll stick with the Croatian bretheren!

Cheers,
Brewbear

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
My Bad :'( :'(
I'm only aware of it from an aussie aquaintance!

Cheers,
Brewbear

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
The toughest thing about the World Cup being in Germany is the time difference. I will be at work when the games are going to be on. Thank god for digital recorders in HD.

Starts June 9th with Germany playing Costa Rica. Big party that day and I will have a batch of something kegged and ready to consume (I'm thinking a Braggot, although the Ancient Orange is very popular and would be ready by then).

Hey Mouko. You're from the Chicago area, right? Plenty of Mexicans, Irish, Croatians to watch games with. Go to any of the European or Mexican bars and ask to have a game put on. They will oblige with a smile.

Angus

"This here's the wattle, the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand."

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Hey Angus... It's good to be the King.

Oh yes, and....

"Your Majesty the Peasants are revolting."
"You said it... they stink on ice."

Wrathwilde ;D ;D ;D
(Who's going over to start that film in his DVD changer now, Changer 1, disc 343)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
History of the World Part 1,

Sheesh, that was too easy!!

We get together at Croatian Hall to watch the games at three in the morning, raising hell and having a good time!

Cheers,

Oskaar

--SEmper

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2006
I normally always support two teams, and also one team I wouldn't wanna see winning.

Normally Belgium and Holland are top. But for once Belgium did not qualify (being moved to second place for most qualifications ever for the world cup :'( - not counting automatic qualifications. Now the honor is Italy's alone)... Mjeh...

Either way, this year I'll be supporting Holland and Poland. When Belgium and Holland are not playing against each other, we're always supporting each other :) And I lived with dutch people for two years ;D Poland, duh, I live here :)

I guess that Poland'll get to the second round as runner up to Germany. Which means we'll have to play England in the second round, so count us out after that ;)

Holland'll have to go up against Mexico or Portugal in the second round, so they're likely to get to the quarter finals. Then they'll come out to Germany or England. Which will become a nice battle.

And for soccer, I prefer to have a nice binge drinking of beer in a bar with a couple of pals ;D Poland plays the first day, after the opening match, so a friday of drinking and shouting loudly like I know what I am talking about ;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I have two favorite teams Hrvatska (Croatia) and anyone that's beating France. Which means I usually have two favorite teams at a time! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
France has a fairly easy group and will probably make it through to at least the Quarter Finals, unless their opponents just go round the sides of their defence to win ;)

And as for Croatia, gonna have to face Italy in Round one of the elimination. 50-50 there.

Angus

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yup, we pulled a tough group. Italy and Brazil!

We have a plan for Italy though. We'll just cruise a couple of tour buses full of Blondes from the USA past their buses and flash them. They'll be a no-show, we move on, life is good! LOL ;D

As for France, we'll just send a planeload of Boy Scouts with Pea Shooters to take over France. When the French surrender (right after the Boy Scouts de-plane at De Gaulle) they'll declare a boycott of the world cup games because of the latest French Military Joke:

Q: What is the first thing you are taught when joining the French army?
A: To say "I surrender" in German

Voila, the French are a non-factor . . . yet again!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns