PDA

View Full Version : lindemans cassis lambic

Dmntd
12-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Was in the store when I spotted this big bottle in with the beer, having never had a lambic I desided to try it. This is by far the most interesting beer I've ever had. Red in color with a big pink head of fine bubbles, it taste more like a sour country wine then beer. Even my girl liked it, and she doesn't beer, mead or wine, just tequila.

It's 4% abv, which has me wondering what sort of braggot 12lbs of honey in 4 gallon of this lambic would make.

Is this a typical lambic style beer?

Happy mazing,

Anthony

Brewbear
12-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Howdy,
From what i understand, mostly the www.basicbrewing.com podcasts, there are several lambics available in the US. The one you had is the raspberry. The style requires the sour taste to be present but some have it more than others and fermentation is still done (in Belgium) using wild yeasts.
Not much help, but that's all I have :-\

Cheers,
Brewbear

byathread
12-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Lambic beers are a fascinating style unique to the Senne valley in Belgium. They are wheat beers fermented with wild yeasts and other organisms (including lactic acid bacteria - LAB). Lambics can be straight sour beers though more commonly include fruit in the secondary. Popular choices of fruit include raspberries (framboise), tart cherries (kriek), cassis (black currants) ans well as apricots, peaches and various grapes, etc.

Besides the spontaneous fermentation, what sets these brews apart is that they are made with a high proportion (30-50%) of unmalted wheat, utilize aged hops (so as to virtually eliminate the hops flavor/aroma but maintain its preservative qualities), have complex flavors like sweaty horse hair, goaty and other barnyardy odors along with the lactic tang, and they're aged extensively in old oak and commonly blended. Sadly, like many complicated art-forms, lambics are a dying breed. However, the popularity of lambics seems to be on the rise, especially in the US and among homebrewers. However, as its essentially impossible to reproduce lambics outside of its native valley near Brussels, domestic and homebrewed versions are best considered "lambic-style" brews and include mixed lambic cultures (brettanomyces, pediococcus, etc) which are available to the homebrewer as well.

I'm a big fan of black currants and Lindemann's Cassis is a good one, and fairly typical I suppose. Lindemann's is probably the most widely available, though I recommend any of the Cantillon selection if you can find it. Also excellent are the "lambics" from New Glarus brewery in Wisconsin. I've also tasted several homebrewed lambic-style beverages including a pineapple, blackberry, peach and blueberry, which ranged from moderately bad to very good. I do love sour things in general and sour beers like lambics, geuze and oud bruins in particular.

And, yes, chicks dig 'em.

David Baldwin
12-27-2005, 05:17 PM
I have readily found Framboise locally and am a huge fan of it. I've not yet found any others, but I do keep looking.

David

Miriam
12-27-2005, 05:33 PM
byathread, if you like sour, make Tej. Sour!

Miriam

byathread
12-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Its been awhile since I read your article. I just may have to take you up on your suggestion!

Kirk

Alden
12-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I've had cherry, peach, and black currant lambic....they're all good.