• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Never buying Dell again

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Well, today the Dell Nightmare finally got me. I've been buying Dell computers for as long as they've been around, and bought my latest one just this spring, and XPS Gen 2. I spent half of yesterday just trying to get service, and trying to buy a new laptop to replace the old one that won't work well for the on-the-road work I have to do now.

Here's the letter I sent to Michael Dell:

Dear Mr. Dell:

I've been a Dell customer for as long as Dell has been selling computers. Every single system I've purchased has been a Dell, and currently I've got 3 desktops and 2 laptops (and a DJ) in the house. At one time I was quite happy with both the product and the service. However, since you outsourced your support (both sales and service, apparently) to non-US sites, that service has become non-existant.

Yesterday morning, after discovering that my Inspiron 8100 appeared to be showing the same motherboard-related problems that required a repair 3 months ago (despite not having been used since that time), I called support to get it repaired under my 4-year At Home warranty program. Your phone system disconnected me in mid transfer. I called again, and was again disconnected, during hold. Finally, I called a 3rd time, and after a 20 minute wait, got a tech. I explained to the non-English speaking person (who could barely be understood) that I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as my last repair call. She pulled the data (after a 5 minute hold), and then wanted to walk through the entire diagnostics sequence *again*, despite having the exact same info from the previous repair call. I explained that I paid for a support contract, and Dell wasn't paying me to fix my own computer. I paid several hundred dollars to have *Dell* fix my computer, as I don't repair laptops.

After nearly an hour of repeatedly explaining the problem, she *finally* began the process to send a tech out. At that point, your phone system disconnected me. Again. After I'd spent nearly 2 hours trying to resolve my problem. I called *again*, waited 20 minutes, got *another* tech, who attempted to make me go through the entire process *again*, despite having just gone through it with the previous tech.

Finally they agreed to send out some memory, which may or may not fix the problem. Not a tech. I can instal memory, but I PAID FOR A SERVICE CONTRACT. If I'm not going to get service, At Home, as stated in the contract, what am I paying for?

Despite that, because I've always used Dell, I decided to give you One Last Chance. I've decided to purchase a new laptop, and went onto dell.com to see what I could find. I wanted an XPS unit, because my XPS desktop works well, and I wanted the same speed and power in a laptop. I discovered the following sale for the XPS140 on your site:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/top...pgrade_payone?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~lt=popup

I was thrilled, because as a one-woman home business (remember when you were like that?) on a budget, I need to maximize my 'bang for my buck'. And $680 of upgrades included in the unit for $1399 seemed the exact thing I needed.

Imagine my shock when I discovered that, contrary to the advertisement, all the listed upgrades were *not*, in fact, included. The page which allows for configuring the system, here:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=iM140u5&s=dhs doesn't include either 1GB of memory or 36 months of virus protection, as was listed in the ad.

The ad says: "Load it up with great features and still pay the same price! Configure one of these special notebooks with an e-value code or order code containing sequence i6000U7, i9300U6, i6000U6, i9300U5, or iM140u5 online and get select upgrades for FREE! You’ll pay nothing extra if you choose any of these items: up to 1GB1 memory, up to 80GB2 Hard Drive, up to 8X CD/DVD Burner3, Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless, 2Yr Ltd Warranty4, 2Yr At-Home Service5, and 2Yr Hardware Warranty Support, Microsoft® Office Basic, and McAfee® Security Center 36-months!

Choose from one of the notebooks below, simply select your applicable upgrades and "add to cart"! Offer is good online only."

The average person (myself included) would take this to mean that you get the listed upgrades. And you are told to 'select your applicable upgrades', which indicates you can choose which ones you'd like.

Well, the unit in the link above won't even allow me to choose memory or virus protection. They're chosen for me, and no choices to add either are allowed. So, thinking that perhaps the page programming was incorrect, I called Dell Sales. I got a non-English speaking woman whose accent was nearly too thick to understand. I explained the situation, that not all of the promised upgrades were available to choose on the web pages, and she *very* condescendingly explained that Dell only offered *some* of the upgrades, not all, and I could take it or leave it. I tried to explain that I wished to have the system with the memory at 1GB, instead of some of the other upgrades, as stated in the ad, and she interrupted me (repeatedly), became rude, and refused to transfer me to someone who could help, despite several polite requests on my part.

I eventualy persuaded her to transfer me, and was transferred twice more until eventually I was placed on hold, apparently indefinitely, as I waited on hold for over 20 minutes in silence, no music, no 'we'll be with you shortly', just silence.

Finally, I hung up. I had wasted a total of over 4 hours on Dell. And half of that was trying to give you money.

No more. I'll be buying from Sony or HP from now on. And I'll be telling all my customers (I'm a web designer) to purchase something other than Dell as well.

Being abused while trying to spend money with your company doesn't cause me to want to buy. But it *will* cause me to recommend to all my clients, friends, relatives, blog and forum readers, and the 40,000 people per month that visit my website to purchase anything *but* Dell.
====================================

Vicky - looking for a 2.0Ghz laptop with at least 1Gb of RAM, 80Gb of storage that is light and has multi-media feeds for less than 2K - any suggestions?

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
That's a shame, DELL used to be the premier brand -- let us know if you hear anything back?

You might find a Toshiba that fits those requirements, however may be a bit over $2,000.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I'm looking at Toshiba and Sony right now.

Last time I griped, about the non-English support, I actually got a phone call from a minion. Amazingly. We'll see this time.

abejita

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
bottlebombs.blogspot.com
I had a terrible time with Dell back in the late 1990s. That's when my partner and I switched to Apple. Despite some minor irritations, I don't regret it a bit.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hell hath no fury... ;D ;D ;D

It's funny that everyone is running into the same problems with many companies when the "support" is outsourced.

You have a lot more patience than I do Vicky! Maybe Santa will bring you a new computer?

Good luck,
Pewter

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Bought a Toshiba laptop last year.

LEMON!!!

Graphics portion of the board overheats sending unit into blue screen; memory went bad; power inlet broke.

Second time I've heard of the graphics problem in Toshiba laptops.

Angus

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hmm. Any opinions on the Sony boxes, or HP? I'd lost confidence in the Compaq units years ago, they went from great to abysmal in such a short time. I don't have much of a read on the HP/Compaq merge, how it affected their systems....Sony seems to be getting decent reviews in the rags, but I've never owned one.

::sigh:: I'd buy an Apple, but a) half my software won't work on them , and b) they're too durned expensive.....

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
About a year ago I was about to buy a computer, and I looked at getting a Dell or Microsoft computer, when a friend of mine who works in a computer shop totally discouraged me. I looked at what they had in them, sourced the parts and found I was been over charged.

I built mine from scratch for just under 2000, that includes a new 17’’ flat panel, <BenQ> case, keyboard, mouse….1gig ram, Sony DVD burner, 3gh CPU (pent 4)… and I got to see how it all clips together <I have a 256mb graphics card as well> basically I found you can build your own cheaper, and better then anything those companies can offer you, and usually shops that sell pars are happy to help.

As for a laptop I have never owned one. But I do know that the ibooks are very nice. Apple makes nice computers.

Mu.

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Angus said:
Bought a Toshiba laptop last year.

LEMON!!!

Graphics portion of the board overheats sending unit into blue screen; memory went bad; power inlet broke.

Second time I've heard of the graphics problem in Toshiba laptops.

Darn -- Toshiba used to be a good brand :(

Vicky, The HP server line is good, don't have a good read on the laptops... our company is moving away from HP on the desktop/laptop platform and moving to DELL (shaking head).

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
That's the poops Vicky! Hope you find something soon.

I'm a Franken-puter type myself...much easier to upgrade only portions of a box that isnt chock-a-block with propietary crap, and as Mu mentioned, it's hella cheaper.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
That works fine for desktops, but home-sourcing a laptop is an exercise that mostly ends up making you bald (from tearing your hair out). I've built computers, and yeah, its a lot cheaper.

::sigh:: I really did want to buy a Dell, but I've never had them work so hard to not get my business. Time to vote with my dollars.....

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Vicky,

Have you thought about IBM? My dad has had a number of them (supplied by his employers) over the years and has always been happy with them.
Here's a short review of a Thinkpad x41... it's an ultra portable... but other models might fit your need better.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1819038,00.asp

Being an avid modder for most of my life, until I switched to OS X, I had discarded Dell early on as their components were not industry standard, If you wanted to upgrade your Motherboard you couldn't just go out and buy the best ATX board and swap it in. Only a dell board would fit because they used a non standard hole mounting pattern.

Wrathwilde

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Santa was really cool last year and got me a Toshiba Qosmio G-15 l. Initially he got me the 17 inch Sony Vaio, the graphics used shared memory, you had to burn your own recovery disk (the stuff was on your HD eating uo 20 Gigs of the 100 total) and the images on the screen were OK. So.. the elf (read me) went back to the store and exchanged it for the 17 inch Toshiba. I never had any problems with it, once home and plugged in it recogized the wireless network and aked me of I want to use it! That was it...great straight out of the box Much better screen, works like a champ inspite of all the abuse I put it through.
I'm still waiting for the Mac powerbooks due out early next year ;)

Cheers,
Brewbear

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Compaq had a history of cracked hinges. Not sure of any recent issues. HP never really built a unit I liked, although I have heard nothing bad about them.

I would have to second Wrath's IBM suggestion. The Thinkpad's are very durable, and work well with few glitches that I have encountered. The T42 is a very nice unit, slim and light, although the screen could be a bit bigger.

Brewbear is right about the "straight out of the box" ease of use with Toshiba. Pity the hardware was not up to the same standard.

Angus

CordiallyYours

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 4, 2005
Hi Vicky,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Dell. I have Dell servers and really can't complain since (knock wood) they run well. But I've gotten away from Dell client machines. And the company I consult for is also dumping Dell as their standard and I believe they're going with HP. Considering they have a workforce of over 120,000 employees worldwide, and most use laptops, I think that's a pretty good vote for HP. When I spoke to some of the internal support people, they told me a key factor was the lack of support from Dell. So you're not alone.

Personally, however, I use a Toshiba P25-609. It's a couple of years old, but it runs well and I haven't had any trouble with it. My only complaint is that the top of the keyboard panel where I rest my wrists while typing tends to heat up on the right side, even to a point where it can be a little uncomfortable after a while. But an external keyboard for long sessions fixed that. And I love the extra wide screen, especially since I'm a designer and developer. I use either .NET or Dreamweaver MX, and for both there is plenty of room for the canvas, and the controls on the edges.

Anyway, the machine was close to $2600 when I purchased it, but I believe I've seen them now advertised new for less than $2000.

Best of luck with your search,

-Cordially-

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Laptops: IBM Thinkpad or Toshiba, (I have one of each at home along with an Inspiron 8100 that works quite nicely)

Desktops: HP/Compaq (in a business environment) at home I build my own using Thermaltake cases and ASUS motherboards, etc.

Servers: IBM or HP/Compaq (pretty much bullet proof and very strong service and support departments)

I'm under contract now with a large law firm and we are ripping out all of the Dell Power Edge rack mount servers in the US, Europe and Asia. Just scaled a couple of IBM Rackmounts last night in the LA office. Sweet boxes. Dell has just gotten too big and started acting like IBM, Compaq, HP, etc (pick another success story that turned it's back on it's customers until they revolted and left) buying sh!tty parts and maintaining no consistant manufacturers or suppliers that held to strict quality standards. Their support sucks out loud and they have really lost the drive to deliver outstanding quality and service that they used to have.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Consul

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2005
A guy here at work actually got a really nice MSI laptop with an Athlon 64-bit proc, XP 64-bit Edition, DVD burner (I think), and other niceties for $1800. I'll ask him tomorrow where he got it (online somewhere) and pass that along ot you.

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
On Apple - can you wait a couple weeks? I expect them to announce some great laptops on Jan 6th. Much more bang for the buck and also the possibility that your existing software will run on it. Even though they can get away with quad processor liquid cooled desktops, they're getting hosed by IBM/Motorola on PowerPC chips for laptops. They're switching to Intel. Probably January. And possibly that it will run windows, but that part is just speculation on my part. If not in the announcement, then SOMEONE will figure that out shortly after.

But if you REALLY wanted to catch Dell's eye, you should have told him that you were switching to Apple. :) He has always seemed to have a thing against Apple. Even to the point of rediculing Steve Jobs. kinda funny.

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
I had the same support problem with Dell. About 6 months ago the thing conked out, wouldn't load past the boot screen. Called tech support, under warranty, and got someone in India who couldn't understand us, and we couldn't understand her. Went through about 5 different people, none of them could help. Finally when we joined back up with my dad, he fixed it, being the uber-techie that he is.

Moral of the story: Outsourcing saves companies money, and they don't care if they lose a few customers in the process.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns