PDA

View Full Version : Will you be attending Meadfest this year

Greenblood
12-29-2005, 01:05 PM
It may still be a bit early for some people to answer this, but I am curious to know how many of our members will be attending Meadfet this year. My lady and I will be attending, and will have 2 other mead makers with us, and at least 2 aditional mead drinkers. Will you be attending Meadfest 2006?

Would anybody be interested in having a Gotmead swap? I will be bringing a few different meads to the festival, and it would be a blast to meet up with you all and have a little tasting of our own. If there are only a few people interested, then we could do this in my (or somebody's room) if there are quite a few people interested, then maybee we could do it at some of the tables by the pool during the day. It would be realy cool to try and have an anual Gotmead get together at Meadfest. I have already made 2 mazer friends because of Gotmead, and I am always looking to make more. :)

What do you think?

Greenblood

webmaster
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
I'll be there for sure, with the Podcast setup. I plan to do some interviews 'in the street' and am looking for a headset mike I can hook into a recorder so I can record as I taste meads at the Tasting, as well as planninng 'sit downs' with various folks. This will be the inagural GM podcast.

Dmntd, would you give me a call so we can plot it out? I need your expertise on this.

I'll be in on Thursday, and am traveling on my own this time (had a friend along last time). I'm actually staying in Boulder until Wednesday, as I intend to visit the 4 CO meaderies to do interviews. I'll be staying at the hotel Thurs-Sun, and with Julia Herz from Redstone Meadery Sun night til Wed. Any of you in the Boulder/Denver area that would like to meet up for lunch or dinner, let me know so we can plan. If you're in town and want to go to the meaderies with me, I love company!

I think a Gotmead swap would be great! If I'm on my own for a room, I can host, but I'm waiting to see if I'm pulled as a judge. If I am, then I'll be sharing with someone (Fest judges for the commercial competition get a room credit if they share with another judge)

I think either way, we should plan a party 'round the pool of all the GM'ers that will be attending.

I've attached a 'normal' (not in Faire garb) picture of me for those that haven't met me yet. My hair is a bit redder now, but otherwise I haven't changed much.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dmntd
12-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey Greenblood,

Meadfest, meeting Gotmead regulars and mead tasting, sounds like fun. It'll be a few weeks before I know if I can make it or not.

Happy mazing

Anthony

SteveT
12-29-2005, 02:42 PM
I'll be there for sure, with the Podcast setup. I plan to do some interviews 'in the street' and am looking for a headset mike I can hook into a recorder so I can record as I taste meads at the Tasting, as well as planninng 'sit downs' with various folks. This will be the inagural GM podcast.

That would be way cool Vickie!

Greenblood -- Unfortunately, time and expense in getting there will keep me away. However, one of my meads is there now :D

It would be fun to share meads with the GM crew and meet in person.

Steve

Oskaar
12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
I'll be there, armed and dangerous.

I'm shooting for Thursday arrival as well and plan on being there until Sunday. I think a gotmead "mead crawl" is in order. First one to pass out will rue the day! ;D

Cheers,

Oskaar

Greenblood
12-29-2005, 04:48 PM
I will be arriving on Friday with lots of good mead and leaving Sunday with lots of good memories. Well depending on how much mead is consumed, I may not have many memories. Wish I could stay longer this year, but the majority of our crew has little vacation time. We will probably want to do the tasting sometime during the day. I immagine that evenings will be fairly busy for everybody, and I do not know how constructive a GM tasting will be after a 90+ commercial mead flight. :) Probably just be a lot of slurs and smiles, but little discussion. Not that I get much more reaction than that from my friends when they sample my meads. :) How does Saturday bruch sound?

Greenblood

byathread
12-29-2005, 04:51 PM
I'll be in Colorado for a week hanging out on the Western Slope so my schedule is flexible. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks for a GM party and/or mead crawl!!

Question: Is everyone buying tickets for the mead tastings for both days? I guess I'm not entirely sure how the fest is structured. I assume the tickets are for both mead sampling and seminars? Both of which will be more-or-less ongoing? I did not see any schedule/agenda on MeadFest.org.

Thanks,
Kirk

Dmntd
12-29-2005, 04:51 PM
A mead crawl sounds like fun.

Speaking of lamenting... it was a custom with the gang I ran with in my youth to Decorate the first one to pass out with indeleble marker, lipstick and whatever was at hand (the gals where wicked compared to the guys). I can remember going for BloodyMary's more then one sunday morning when people in the bar looked more then normal, only to find I had multi-color flowers drawn in Sharpie around my eye's and on my face when looking in the mirror while washing my hands in the restroom. At least they put my boots back on after painting my toenails. :P

webmaster
12-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Greenblood: Saturday brunch sounds fine! Lets plan on it.

Kirk: Oh, I *envy* you the skiing...I haven't been out for many years. I'm buying tickets for both, if I don't get picked as a judge. Same thing each night, but its hard to get to all of them in one night without just single mindedly drinking (and I've got too many friends to see for that!). The tickets are for one night and seminars. I don't know what seminars are planned. I sent an email off to Julia, and will try to find out.

Tony: Your friends sound like a scary bunch to get drunk with! LOL....I'll remember not to get too sloshed around you....

Dmntd
12-29-2005, 08:56 PM
ohhh... common Vicky, it's fun waking up in cloths other then your own. ;)

I'd tell you about waking up in a leather mini-shirt with two women I don't recall meeting, but thats another story.

Anthony

p.s. Don't be getting any funny ideas, Oskaarz met me. Me in a mini-skirt is nothing short of plain scary.

webmaster
12-29-2005, 09:05 PM
No, maybe not the mini skirt, but I'll bet I could give you cleavage with my bodice.....LOL...don't laugh, I've seen it done.

Dmntd
12-29-2005, 09:11 PM
LOL, heheh heh heh hehhehhehehehehehheh.

Thank's Vicky, thats the best laugh I've had in months, I really needed it too.

I will say, I don't think even your bodice will lace tight enough to give me cleavage, I doubt it would it would make it around me, I wear a 58 long coat.

Anthony

webmaster
12-29-2005, 09:21 PM
I can get one that *will* fit......::muahahahahahahahahahahhaha:: ::cough::

Dmntd
12-29-2005, 09:24 PM
LOL... it might be fun trying anyway ;D

Anthony

Dmntd
12-29-2005, 09:27 PM
At that, I still doubt you could get cleavage without breaking a couple ribs.

Anthony

Dmntd
12-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Hey if I can scrape up the scratch to gas the car and get a room for a couple of night's, this Saffron mead should at least be clear. That and I can subject you to this root beer Braggot.

Anthony

webmaster
12-29-2005, 09:46 PM
I'll take you up on the saffron, but root beer? Dunno.....I'll give it try, but I usually don't like root beer. Maybe the spice will be ready by then.

abejita
12-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Hmmm. I think I am now officially pouting that I'm not going.

webmaster
12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
LOL...sure wish you could go! We'll miss you. I'll take my camera and get pix of everyone to upload......we'll get Oskaar and Dmntd in some compromising position after they pass out.

memento
12-29-2005, 11:37 PM
meadfest sounds very cool! I wish I could be there, too. :( It would be great to hang with you guys (and girl) for a weekend of mead.

Brewbear
12-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Vicky, I met both Oskaar and Dmntd in person. Getting them both drunk to the point of passing out will take much more mead then the Meadfest will have available! I would like to see the pics tho. Just imagine: Oskaar and Dmntd wearing red wigs and bodices :-\ :-\

Now that's a scary thought! Wish I could be there.....

Cheers,
Brewbear

webmaster
12-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Don't forget the tights! (gotta remember to pack those) And I plan to bring some of my WonderBooze, guaranteed to fell a horse. It took down a guy I shoot with who is both a Marine *and* a Navy puke. Twice. On the *ground*, and still drunk the next day.

Vicky - doing her best to help her team win by making the others too drunk to aim

jab
12-30-2005, 01:21 AM
I don't know BB. With nearly 300 meads between the home and the commercial competitions I think even the mighty Oskaar would fall. ;D

I will be there. Probably on Thu and staying until Sun or Mon.

Dan McFeeley
12-30-2005, 03:24 AM
LOL...sure wish you could go! We'll miss you. I'll take my camera and get pix of everyone to upload......we'll get Oskaar and Dmntd in some compromising position after they pass out.

You might need to open up a whole new forum section for this -- International Mead Festival 2006 pictures!

;D

Dan McFeeley
12-30-2005, 03:29 AM
I'll be there, armed and dangerous.

I'm shooting for Thursday arrival as well and plan on being there until Sunday. I think a gotmead "mead crawl" is in order. First one to pass out will rue the day! ;D

It's already an established practice! The two years I attended, last year and the first Chicago Meadfest, there was a room set aside for the home meadmakers to meet, mingle, and share meads. Last year we had two hotel rooms set aside for the afterhours hospitality party. Both nights, both rooms were well attended and well filled. ;D

This was a lot fun. Meadmakers are great people to hang out with. Lots of "Here, try this" and "How is it? What do you think?" There were some truly excellent meads being passed around. I even got to try one of David Meyer's *very* first meads, his first batch of mead which he still had.

Dmntd
12-30-2005, 03:41 AM
Heh, getting me drunk is the easy part, getting me to cooperate...

Sounds like a lot of fun Dan.

Anthony

Oskaar
12-30-2005, 03:50 AM
All right all you boozy HO's! ;D

Like Tony said, getting me drunk is the easy part, getting me to shaddup, well different story. Sounds like a good group of people to party with. Whoo hoo!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley
12-30-2005, 07:22 AM
All right all you boozy HO's! ;D

Like Tony said, getting me drunk is the easy part, getting me to shaddup, well different story. Sounds like a good group of people to party with. Whoo hoo!

Oh, it was. Great crowd, great people.

Most of the people there were what I might call "quiet drinkers." Not a bunch of people getting blasted and then raising the roof with partying, just lots of dedicated meadmakers enjoying the opportunity to share the fruits of their labors, and trying out others.

There were folk there who were more serious drinkers, but I'd retired after 11:00 pm and only heard stories of people stumbling back to their rooms afterwards. ;D

Heard one interesting comment while standing on the balcony, looking out over the crowd during the tasting session. Somebody said something about all those people, all that alcohol, and the potential for trouble. The quick reply by his friend -- "Are you serious? They're mead drinkers." The "mean drunk" doesn't seem to be characteristic of mead drinking.

Something else on this thought -- some time back I passed on a bottle of traditional mead to one of my co-workers, who had never tried it before. This guy likes vodka shots, and he can be mean when loaded. After trying the mead with his girl friend (they finished the bottle together) he was describing the experience. It was a "happy drunk," as he described it, something that had never happened to him before, at least, not quite in the way he'd experienced compared to trying mead for the first time.

WRATHWILDE
12-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Dan McFeeley is currently on sabbatical... and is rerunning the best of Dan. ;) Just kidding Dan... I remember the story from a previous post, I was thinking I might catch you at a cut and paste, but alas you seem to be content retyping them.

Wrathwilde

Dan McFeeley
12-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks WW -- a good story is alway worth retelling! :D

Alden
12-30-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm not going this year, but maybe next year (2007). I'm planning on submitting a couple meads for the Home Mead Competition in 2007, whether or not I can go myself. My blackberry melomel seems to be coming out *really* to my liking, and I'm planning a sparkling mead with my killer bee honey. If both of these turn out well, I'll be submitting them.

Dmntd
12-30-2005, 11:19 AM
I'll take you up on the saffron, but root beer? Dunno.....I'll give it try, but I usually don't like root beer. Maybe the spice will be ready by then.

Hey Vicky,

At best the saffron will be young. I'm not speaking for the root beer braggot, it's like a redheaded step child. A fine example of what can happen when I make mead after an afternoon of drinking and just start adding to the pot with out a plan.

Anthony

Summersolstice
12-30-2005, 12:40 PM
I'll be attending as well. I'll arrive Thursday and depart on Sunday. I hope to meet everyone and share/sample/trade some mead!

webmaster
12-30-2005, 01:02 PM
I just got word that I'll be judging in the commercial competition on Friday, so I vote for Saturday brunch for the GM gathering, if everyone thinks they will be there. There will be seminars on Saturday too (I'm waiting for a list right now, should have it soon and will post it here), and the hobby meadmakers meeting will likely be Saturday morning. The IMA main meeting is Saturday after lunch til 3, and the tasting starts at 4:00, so a GM gathering between the two meetings would work for me (looks like I'll miss the seminars again this year! - too many committments, and not enough time!)

I think we should also consider having a gathering room. I can't do it, as I expect I'll be sharing with another judge, and don't want to mess up my roomie (unless my roomie ends up being another GM'er or potential GM'er!). Any takers for Hostest with the Mostest?

Vicky - working on paying work for another customer today

Greenblood
12-30-2005, 04:13 PM
I would be happy to volunteer my room. I will likely have 2 ajoining rooms, so There should be plenty of space. WE tend to be up till the wee hours. So it should work out fine.

Greenblood

webmaster
12-30-2005, 05:37 PM
PARTY IN GREENBLOODS ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Vicky - back from the bank, working on real estate software