PDA

View Full Version : Storing nutrient and such

mouko_yamamoto
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I just got a bunch of nutrient, yeast, sparkaloid, campden tablets, etc., for Christmas, and was wondering. I got the yeast in the fridge chillin', and I'll just keep the campden in a bag, but how do you store nutrient and other powder? If you open it, but only use 2 tsp, how do you keep the powder from getting everywhere? I was thinking of storing in a bag or jar, or just taping up the hole in the bag.

Oskaar
01-06-2006, 05:11 AM
Store it in the fridge as well, I do. I do put a small packet of dessicant inside the baggie to keep condensation at bay.

Cheers,

Oskaar

mouko_yamamoto
01-06-2006, 08:35 AM
I was wondering about that as well. Well, got a whole closet stolen for mead, why not a whole area in the fridge? :)

Thanks Oskaar.

SteveT
01-06-2006, 09:13 AM
I just got a bunch of nutrient, yeast, sparkaloid, campden tablets, etc., for Christmas, and was wondering. I got the yeast in the fridge chillin', and I'll just keep the campden in a bag, but how do you store nutrient and other powder? If you open it, but only use 2 tsp, how do you keep the powder from getting everywhere? I was thinking of storing in a bag or jar, or just taping up the hole in the bag.

I use smaller, empty brown glass vitamin bottles for storing nutrients and such. Mark the cap with a sharpie identifying the contents along with a date. I store mine in a dark dry place... I only refrigerate my yeasts.

Steve

seeGarzz
01-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I store them similiar to Steve. All of my nutrients and chemicals go into plastic bottles and get stored together in a plastic container. I use masking tape and a sharpie on the lid and sides to mark what is in each bottle. They are stored in a pantry closet that is cool and dark most of the time. I am not sure what the shelf life is on the nutrients or the chemicals.

seeGarzz

SteveT
01-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I am not sure what the shelf life is on the nutrients or the chemicals.

That is a good question... I know K Metabisulphate has a shelf life of about 1 yr... after that point it's only good for sanitizing solution mix. I'm not sure about the nutrients, I'm sure like vitamins they must have a shelf life. Anyone know?

Dmntd
01-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Where I buy nutrient, DAP, Vitamix & other chemical's they are sold in plastic jars. I keep jars in a cupboard where it's cool and dry, yeast in the refrigerator. Shelf life? About three months... at least thats how often I'm going to the HBS to get more.

Seriously though, that is a good question, which begs other question's.

How long did it sit in a warehouse before being shipped to the retailer?

How long was it on the shelf before purchase?

I've got more the one packet yeast which was no longer viable, can't say that I'd know if the Superfood was bad.

Happy mazing,

Anthony

Oskaar
01-08-2006, 03:57 AM
Generally for the Lallemand nutrients they say that stored in a refrigerator, and controlled moisture (which is why I use dessicant) it will last for a year (two crushes).

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

SteveT
01-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks Oskaar -- sounds like a plan...

Steve

Greyfox
03-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Generally for the Lallemand nutrients they say that stored in a refrigerator, and controlled moisture (which is why I use dessicant) it will last for a year (two crushes).

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Is this the real case though, or is it similar to everything else nowdays - labeled with a expirey date just because the law calls for it?
Believe it or not but the put best-before dates on just about anything - latest thing that caught my eye was diapers.(!!)

I have a few chemicals stores away in a cool and dry place, in brown medicine bottles, cap tightly shut. They are all a coupple of years old, but I think I will use them for my new batch. How much do you think they could possibly have degraded over time?