• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Glogg

Barrel Char Wood Products

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
I've been trading my home made Mead's with a friend for the past 3 years, who makes his own Swedish style Glogg. It's quite good. Anyone have a clue how it is made? It's very different than the recipe's for "Professors Glogg" which can be found on the 'net. And, my buddy would rather die than give up his family recipe... :)

Steve

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks for the links Dan! Looks like I've got some reading to do tonight :)

Now, if I could spice capture taste of Glogg in a mead... my friend tells me he uses 12 different spices!

Steve

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
With 12 spices, maybe you can look over his shoulder while he's preparing it and figure out the recipe. ::)

I used to make a glogg using apricot brandy instead of the recommended vodka. Worked quite nicely.

Here's a few ideas for mulled mead . . . from Clara Furness' book, "Honey Wines and Beers":

Sweet Mead and Lemon Mull

Stick 8 - 10 cloves in a lemon
Place in a fairly hot oven for 15 minutes
Warm about 100g (3 oz) honey in a punch bowl
Place hot lemon on honey
Heat mead in a stainless steel pan and pour over honey and lemon
Serve really hot

From Acton & Duncan's book "Making Mead" (try substituting mead for the white wine):

Honey Bishop

Take a large lemon, make about twelve incisions in it and insert cloves. Roast the lemon slowly in the oven. Put 570 ml (1 pt) of water 100 g (1/4 lb) of honey and a pinch each of cinnamon, mace and allspice into a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer gently until the volume has been reduced by half. Then, in another saucepan, bring to the boil a bottle of dry white wine. Put the roasted lemon and the contents of the two saucepans into a large punchbowl and add the juice of a lemon, a sprinkle of nutmeg and, if required, a dash of brandy. Serve while hot.

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Swedish, Schmedish. Tch! You should branch out more. Use a bottle of Manischewitz for the wine, or, one of the wine ingredients, then you will have a Yiddisher glogg. :)

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Dr. Siggy, I'm sure you're familiar with that old Eastern European household remedy for sore throats and chills: Goggol Moggol.

For anyone else interested, it's just hot milk, sweetened to taste and with an egg beat into it till it's thick. Cinnamon is essential. For grownups, add a healthy shot of slivovitz or brandy. Fior kids, a little vanilla. Goggol Moggol soothed away minor winter ills in those isolated Russian and Polish villages long ago...that, and massaging the chest with hot goose fat. Hey, people had to make do with what they had - early Americans used hot bear fat. I prefer almond oil with essential oils - but Goggol Moggol still makes an appearance in my kitchen on cold winter nights.

Miriam

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns