• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead as an anti cancer agent

Barrel Char Wood Products

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
I was helping our library at work test out a software install of Scifinder (software that allows you to search databases for scientific references). On a whim I tried mead and found a scientific article done 1994 where Lithuanian mead...

Edit: Darnnit. cut and paste from the software didn't work (it seemed to). I'll see if I can find the abstract again...
Edit 2: Here it is. Dang, looks like they patented it:

Lithuanian mead drinks as prophylaxis against cancer. Semenas, Valentas; Semeniene, Vida-Bronislava; Valaviciene, Janina; Valavicius, Juozas. (Lithuania). Lith. (1994), 10 pp. CODEN: LIXXFS LT 3004 B 19940825 Patent written in Lithuanian. Application: LT 92-120 19920909. Priority: . CAN 126:14752 AN 1996:753878 CAPLUS

Patent Family Information

Patent No. Kind Date Application No. Date
LT 3004 B 19940825 LT 1992-120 19920909

Priority Application
LT 1992-120 19920909

Abstract

The mead drinks "Stakliskes" or "Bociai" are of value as neoplasm inhibitors. Thus, expts. with white rats and mice show that these drinks have antitumor activity (av. inhibition of tumor growth 44-45% against sarcoma 45, 47-55% against Lewis lung carcinoma) and enlarge splenic mass 42.8%. The animals were made to drink 0.125 to 1.5 mL doses of the meads on various schedules.

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Let's not confuse Lithuanian with Croatian :p
Drink mead for your health! Woo Hoo!!!!

Cheers,
Brewbear - runs to get his "dose" of mead

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
Well I guess next time im asked what im doing with allot of honey and why im taking so much time in the kitchen, I can answer “Im curing cancer” with an of truth. :-\

Im a university student so I get free access to allot of journals, I should have a look when I remember how to get access to them.

Mu.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I just have to wonder what kind of test animals they used...(picturing drunk hamsters)
And what is the equivilant dose...er...liters per killogram would be it right?

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Wolfie said:
I just have to wonder what kind of test animals they used...(picturing drunk hamsters)
And what is the equivilant dose...er...liters per killogram would be it right?

Hmm, I wonder if given a choice, would hampsters choose mead over food? :D

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Coming back to this thread . . .

Here's a couple of recipes for Lithuanian mead, given to me by one of my co-workers Casmir Petkunas. They're taken from a cookbook put together from ethnic Lithuanians in the Chicago area, maybe from around the 1950's, but I suspect the recipes are much older than that.
Here they are:

---------------------[snip!]--------------------------------------

Mead (Midus)

1 handful juniper berries
2 nutmegs
1 handful hops
7 quarts honey
14 quarts water
1 oz yeast
1 tsp sugar

Break and crush berries and nutmeg. Tie with hops in cloth bag. Place in honey and water, boll about 1/2 hour, skimming off foam. Cool to lukewarm (about 100 degrees F.) Pour into a 5 gallon bottle. Do not overfill, allow about 4 inches space from surface to top of bottle. Cream yeast with sugar and 1/2 cup of honey-water liquid, set in warm spot for 10 - 15 minutes until it begins to bubble. Slowly pour into liquid in bottle. Stopper bottle with cork into which a glass tube (thistle tube or medicene dropper with bulb removed) has been set (to allow fermentation gases to escape). Allow to ferment at temperatures of 60 degrees no less than 6 months. At end of that period, filter off with rubber pipette or siphon, pour into botles, cork. Ready to drink a month after
bottling.

N.B. -- aging improves mead. It is at its best 2 - 3 years after making.

Mead
Ancient Recipe
Midus

2 quarts honey
5 gallons water
1/2 lb. hops
yeast
1 slice bread

Measure and pour exactly half of the honey and water into a large kettle. Using a stick, mark on the stick the distance from the top of the kettle to the surface of the contents. Pour in remaining honey and water. Bring to boil. Tie hops in clean cloth, place in kettle. Boil until one-half of the liquid remains (ascertain by using the marked measuring stick). Cool. Strain through several thicknesses of cloth into a barrel or crock. Spread enough yeast on bread to cover thickly. Place bread in liquid. Mead will begin to ferment in 3 days. Strain again, pour into bottles, set in cool spot. Mead can also be stored and aged in barrels (oaken preferably).

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Dan,

You have some very interesting recipe's... and with your knowelge of the history of mead... every think about publishing a book?

Steve

PS I'd buy it!

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Hello Steve --

Yes, I've been working on gathering stuff for a future book, but I'm not sure when to quit gathering info and start writing!

Mead is just as much a world wide culture as that associated with wine, beer, and other beverages, so much out there but not enough that's been investigated. Right now it's impossible to do the subject full justice.

I'm working on getting some articles published, hopefully soon.

Thanks for asking!

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
When you have enough for 200 pages id stop, remember you can always release volume 2. ;D

Oh and I did some reading on the skimming of foam. Apparently you do it when you use fresh honey, the stuff with bees legs and wax in it, as the wax and legs float to the top in the foam and you skim them off. If you use honey that’s already been filtered you might be able to skip that step <just a thought>

Mu.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns