PDA

View Full Version : Cherry jack vs cherry wine?

Charlene
01-16-2006, 02:36 AM
What's the difference between cherry jack and cherry wine?

Dan McFeeley
01-16-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm assuming cherry jack is a varient on apple jack, where an apple wine or cider is frozen, then the ice is lifted out to increase alcohol content (illegal, BTW).

Take a look here:

http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~goodwine/applejack.htm

Wikipedia has some info on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_distillation

Take note that freeze distillation is more likely to concentrate the more dangerous volatile products such as methanol.

Igor
01-17-2006, 12:26 PM
I found this recipe for apple jack in the book wild wines and meads

This will yield about 1.9 gals
3 lbs honey.
1 gal apple cider, use fresh cider.
1 tsp acid blen.
1 tsp pectic enzyme.
1 package champagne yeast.
1 tsp yeast nutrient.
1 1/2 cups orange jucie, at room temp.

Directions;
1 In a large enamel or stainless steel pot, boil honey in water( 1 part honey to 2 parts water) for 10 to 20 min. ( They fail to mention the water in the ingredents, I used 2 gals of water. This is the smallest batch I have made to date. ) . Let the nixture cool and then transfer to a 2 gal container. Add the cider, acid and pectic enzyme. Add the campden tablet, if desired, and let the mixture sit, for 24 hours.
2. In a jar make the yeast starter. This is by far the best starter I have every used. It will provide cirtic acid the mixture as will, giving, if I remember right a small bite. Mix togetherethe orange juice, yeast, and yeast nutrient. Cover with a lid and shake madly, every 15 min for about 2 hours, open lid before shaking to let CO2 escape. After 2 hours or great bubbling add to the must.
3. All the mixture to ferment. rack after 2 weeks or so into a 1 gal carboy. I had more. Rack after 3 months, then after 6 and then 1 year after start. Bottle and age 6 months in bottles. Currently I have roughly 6 months to go befor bottleing. This is very clear in the carboys. I used two diffent 1 gallon batchs. I missed collecting 10 gal of cider this fall so will try this next year.

I will post this in the recipe section after I have tasted it.

byathread
01-17-2006, 02:31 PM
I found this recipe for apple jack in the book wild wines and meads

Sounds like a cyser to me but it sure sounds good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applejack

Charlene
01-19-2006, 02:42 AM
I was wondering because I have a (relatively) cheap source for cherry juice, but didn't know whether what I was making was cherry wine or cherry jack. Apparently it's cherry wine.

I'm also making a gallon of cherry melomel, which after 3 weeks tastes quite nice.

webmaster
02-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Hi Charlene!

I use cherry juice from near my old homeplace in MI when I manage to get it on my trips home to see the relatives. I'm a big supporter of juice in meads. Peach cider (juice) makes great peach cyser, and the last time I made a cherry mead, I used juice and it worked great.

Juice is a Good Thing.....LOL

Vicky - heading out to eat chili and cheer for the Steelers......

mouko_yamamoto
02-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Eeww, the Steelers. :P I've found, but this is not always the case, that juice seems to make the mead take off quicker than fruit alone. I had a cherry mel that was limping along, added tart cherry juice, and after a few weeks it has just started to calm down.