PDA

View Full Version : Question about Moving Racked Mead

Raleigh
01-20-2006, 09:46 PM
I have a newbee question that probably doesnt get asked very much around here....

I have 3/4 gallon batch I just racked yesterday, and a 2 gallon batch that will need to be racked soon...Problem is that I might be moving outta state in like two to four months.......My question is that if I load up the racked mead in my truck and drive across country....Is it going to affect the mead in a bad way? I mean it very possibly would slosh around a bit driving for a few days in a vehicle. I cannot see this as being good for clairity or for taste.....What should I do? Or does it really matter? It it even legal?

mouko_yamamoto
01-20-2006, 11:17 PM
I think some people may see that as illegal, as the mead is readily accessible. Drastic temp changes (from one region to/through others) probably won't be to good for the yeast. I think you are right that sloshing would be bad for it, I don't know about oxygenating it, as it would be closed, but it may knock some CO2 out of the must, and this will have to be reproduced.

Tyred
01-22-2006, 02:50 AM
It will probably be dependant on the type of yeast being moved. Some yeasts may cope better with moving than others. The vibrations from moving may also shake all the CO2 out of the must. If you have a proper lid on your containers you will probably need to open them regularly so that the lid doesn't get blown off. Other people with alot more expeience will probably be able to help more than me. Good luck with your move.

Mu
01-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Well itís not something I have done before, but if your going to move a carboy you would want to pack it right. With decent packing you should be able to limit the amount of light itís exposed to, and the amount of vibration.

So how do you plan on packing these? Have you got a few boxes with packing material? Have you looked at other ways to move them, or thought about cutting the ferment short, and having a short mead.

You could buy some polystyrene containers <there good for keeping a decent temperature> then you need some decent packing material, perhaps ring a courier company and ask how they transport fragile goods like that?

Anywho Iím just rambling to attempt to give you some ideas.

Mu.

SteveT
01-22-2006, 09:15 AM
I have a newbee question that probably doesnt get asked very much around here....

I have 3/4 gallon batch I just racked yesterday, and a 2 gallon batch that will need to be racked soon...Problem is that I might be moving outta state in like two to four months.......My question is that if I load up the racked mead in my truck and drive across country....Is it going to affect the mead in a bad way? I mean it very possibly would slosh around a bit driving for a few days in a vehicle. I cannot see this as being good for clairity or for taste.....What should I do? Or does it really matter? It it even legal?

It's legal as a home brewer as long as you are not going to sell it. Is it done fermenting? If so, rack into beer bottles and cap -- these would withstand some pressure if fermenting kicks in with the movement & vibration. I have read of people moving full carboys, I'd recommend placing in milk crates and wrapping, with success.

Steve

mouko_yamamoto
01-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Are you sure it is legal Steve? Even closed, screw-cap type bottles can get you in trouble here if it is in the car.

Riadfodig
01-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Closed as in previously opened? I've heard of 'open container' laws, but it doesn't make sense that even unopened full bottles of alcohol would be illegal to transport. How else is it supposed to get from the store to the house?

mouko_yamamoto
01-22-2006, 07:01 PM
No, unopened! Trunk. If it is an open trunk like on a Jeep, that's fine, but they don't want it immediately accessible. But hey, I live in a state where you have to be registered just to buy ammo.

They go lax though, I've only heard of it enforced a couple times. Either way, a carboy is definitely open, so I'd put it under a blanket. No prob.

Mu
01-22-2006, 08:53 PM
If itís in a box with packing and the lid is taped down im sure that would be fine to move. Why not ring up the local police station or send them an e-mail, iv done it before regarding legality of things and got e-mails back saying ďno thatís not legalĒ and im yet to have a house raid.

Mu.

mouko_yamamoto
01-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Mu's idea is good. Along with being out of sight and light, you can pad it, as others have said.

Raleigh
01-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all of the input.....I will most likely, get a U/haul truck....So I would probably have the mead in the back of the truck where nobody would see it anyway, and I would not have access to it either........I might have to get a storage unit.....My mead might be in storage for a few weeks before it gets moved, who knows, It might even be done by the time I actually leave. Im not really sure exactly of my plans yet, but I would like to be outta here by next summer anyway.

agfisher
01-23-2006, 02:51 PM
You could also transfer it into a corny key. Completely sealed, and can take the pressure no problem.

Adam

Boston, MA

Pewter_of_Deodar
01-23-2006, 03:24 PM
In two to four months the stuff should be done fermenting and cleared. You could probably bottle it for moving...

Good luck,
Pewter