• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Instant Trub?

Barrel Char Wood Products

kash

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2006
Www.perverted-justice.com
Hey all,

I've got a question for the great minds here. Granted it's not an emergency or even bothersome really, just kinda surprising.

Today, (just before the games started) I started a 5 gal batch of Meth. I'll post the entire recipe should you want to hear it, but suffice to say, it's spices (peppercorns, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg a little ground tumeric for color, couple oz of ginger), just a tad of citrus (zest and juice only of one each lemon and orange), 10# honey, two or three TBS of molassas, yeast energizer (amount suggested on label) small amount of irish moss, a few raisons and couple dates, along with just a bit of tannin.

I brewed a strong tea (spices) in about a gallon of water with just about everything except the honey and energizer. Combined the water honey and warm tea then pitched some bloomed red star pasteur champaine yeast. Not much action yet, but granted it's about as fresh as fresh gets.

Here's the question, I filtered the tea through the funnel's strainer. OK, it's not an uber fine filter, but it's dang fine for a strainer. I just checked the carboy and there is a layer of sediment, more than I would actually expect to se so soon, given that there isn't any real active fermenting going on yet. I kinda tried to reduce the amount of particulates that I inserted on purpose. No fruit pulp, to bet in the way, yada, yadda yadda...

So what the hell is accumulating on the bottom of my fresh batch of meth? Are my quasi dormant yeasts just taking a vacation down south?

hedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2005
not an expert, but will pass along a few thoughts all the same,
It could be the yeast are just warming up, crashed out and/or on strike.
It could also be some of the spice fines settling out. (ie. if its dark its prolly the fines, if its lighter could be some spices and some fruit fines)
Personally, I would give the thing a good shake/swirling to get everything all mixed up, before passing along a stern reminder to the yeasts about their part in the gig. Then I would just leave it alone for a bit.
rambling as usual,
hedgehog

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns