View Full Version : first batch

01-23-2006, 02:35 AM
I am completely new to brewing, and now have my first batch of mead in the making. For my recipe I used:
1 1/2 lbs clover honey
25 raisins
1 gal spring water
2 packs red star yeast

I didn't pasturize or boil, I just used the ingredients straight. For the first day or so, the fermentation was crazy. Now it has slown down significantly. I didn't take a hydrometer reading before fermentation. I was told if it is a very dry mead, I could use a vinometer to get the % alcohol, but I'm not sure if it will end up being dry or sweet. How do I find how much % alcohol is in it, and when fermentation is done. Does this recipe sound like it will turn out? Thanks in advance for you help.

01-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Honey’s sugar content will vary from batch to batch but you could use they mead calculator found here:

Probably about 7-8% for your mead, and id say your yeast should make that easily so a dry mead. Then again I don’t know what your yeast will ferment to. 7-8% is that considered a short mead?

01-23-2006, 04:16 AM
Mu is right on the money...

1.5 pounds of honey in a gallon equates to about 7.5% alcohol, your yeast should make that easily, so it will be quite dry at finish, and probably quite thin without much character... partially because I'm assuming you used a commercial store bought clover honey, and second because of so little honey used. Most mead recipes are from 2.5 pounds to about 4 pounds per gallon. It may take many months before it's considered drinkable, so don't be discouraged. I would suggest, at the very least, finding a pound of a high quality speciality honey to mix in there as well, it should still ferment dry... about 12.5% alcohol with more body and character.

01-23-2006, 11:53 AM
That was what I did with my first mead years and years ago. I do recommend adding another pound of honey, assuming you like dry wines. If you don't like dry, then maybe 1.5 pounds, but that will depend on the kind of red star yeast you have.

01-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Or you might try to spice it to add character and make your next batch with a little more honey. Ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon are all popular. I'd recommend tasting it before you restart the fermentation. Do you like dry?

Good luck,