• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My first AO batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

daagoodr

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2006
I followed Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe, using a yeast purchased from an organic store. After an initial bit of bubbling, the fermentation seems to have stopped. Should I try more yeast, more honey, a different type of yeast? I'm sort of lost here. Thanks for your help. :D

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
How long did it bubble before it quit? Are we talking about a few hours, or a few days?

Also, one of the best tools available for troubleshooting is going to be a hydrometer. Knowing where your must is at in the process of fermentation helps to decide what to do next.

I know this isn't much help so far, but we'll really need some more detailed info.

David

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Welcome to the forums ;D
Even though you followed the recipe to the letter, you did use a different yeast than the one specified.
As David asked, was it a few days or a few hours?
If it was a few hours, most probably the yeasties pooped out :-\ in which case I would repitch using Fleishman's yeast from the market. Keep in mind that using Fleishman''s will yield a sweet mead where as using Red Star baking yeast will yield a dry mead.
If it was a few days, I would mive the jug in a warm place (around 80 deg F) for a while and see if that gets them going again. Since baking yeasts prefer a warm environment, moving the fermentation vessel closer to warmtm should help.

Hope that helps,
Brewbear

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns