• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

2006 IMF Home Mead Competition Results

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=441&Itemid=1

Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday, this is the first time I've been able to use the computer except for podcasting recording since I got here.

I'll give y'all a full run down of all the cool stuff, soon's I have a few minutes to rub together

Vicky - grabbing 15 minutes to eat, put this up, and run to set up for the next podcast.....

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks for posting this... any idea when we will get the judges tasting notes?

Thanks,
Steve

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
We'll be going through them this week, stuffing and sealing envelopes, and you should see them by the end of next week.

Vicky - hanging out with Julia in CO until Thursday

Brewboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 7, 2005
Green Bay
So, okay...I'm sure most of the "GotMead"ers have checked the results. I'm a relative newbie...did any "GotMead"ers win?

C'mon...it's time to drop the modesty...who won? (I don't recognize the names on the winner's list---but the names on the winner's list may not be part of this forum)

Trevor

Beertracker

NewBee
Registered Member
OK. I'm not modest, but a little surprised! :D I won 1st in Category 24B with my varietal Tupelo and 2nd in Category 24C with a varietal Orange Blossom. I also entered the world's only smoked maple sack braggot made with mesquite honey & maple sap in Category 26C which I thought was probably my best chance at a medal, but obviously that was one of the toughest categories minus the other fruit melomels (25C)! 68 entries...wow! I would've definitely enjoyed drinking the leftovers from that flight. :p

It sounds like everyone had fun? Thanks to everyone who judged, organized or helped out with the competition and congrats to the other Got Meaders who won! I've never got to go to the Mead Festival...maybe next year? ???

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
I've been waiting for someone else to make the anouncement, but the grand prize winner must be too modest to blow his own horn. Gotmead.com's very own GntlKnght took first place in the cyser category and that same cyser took Best of Show!!! Considering all the entries, he has a lot to be proud of. Congratulations Mr and Mrs GntlKnght!!!

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Congrats Beertracker!

and yes, our Cyser won gold medal and Best in Show. Being there was an awsome experience anyway, but throwing that on top made it just amazing!!!

Hope to see more GotMeaders out there next year!!! Let's fill the awards list with GotMeaders!!!

Alden

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2005
So is there any chance of getting recipes for these medal-winning batches, or are they going to be closely guarded secrets? ;)

Brewboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 7, 2005
Green Bay
I have to admit to being pleasantly shocked at taking third place with my dry mead. Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to everyone involved with organizing and running the competition!

Trevor

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Alden said:
So is there any chance of getting recipes for these medal-winning batches, or are they going to be closely guarded secrets? ;)

Took the words right out of my mouth, I'd love to know what it takes to brew a best of show cider. Beat you again oskaar, saw you were about to post. ;D

Wrathwilde

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'm really happy that we had winners and BOS in the Gotmead gang.

I feel especially proud to have been seated on the panel that judged the Best of Show category. It was an awesome collection of palates that really knew what they were talking about on the subject of mead.

It was also great to meet people from the forums, SummerSolstice, Byathread, Viktor, Dmntd, Greenblood, Gntlknight, ScottS, JAB, and of course the Wench herself Vicky! We drank like fishes this weekend and everyone was very cool. No passouts early on! Wow, fancy that! LOL. Apologies in advance if I left anyone out.

David Myers, and Julia Herz of Redstone were just so busy making sure the Festival was going off well ,that it was crazy watching them zip around all day and night with little or no rest or downtime. They did an incredible job of putting this whole thing on, coordinating the volunteers and dealing with logistical issues, and problems as they arose. Hey deserve a GIANT Thank You from everyone for sticking their necks out once again.

I had a great time meeting everyone there, and drinking mead from early on Thursday to early Sunday morning before I hopped a jet back to LAX. Great time, great people, great mead. I want to see many Gotmeaders there again next year, and more winners in the competition from Gotmead.

Hey Wrath, looks like you got to post in front of me again. This is cool, I have my very own Gotmead stalker! Can you spell P R O Z A K boys and girls! ;D

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Oskaar,

I happened to be viewing the member/guests online section that shows what people are viewing, and noticed that it also tells you if they're posting and where. I saw you were there and edited the post I already made :p

An odd thing the other night... a guest user seemed to be trolling the member profiles, it seemed to be random, but every time I updated the screen, they were viewing a different users profile, must have been a good 6-10 different names at least... while I was watching, since then I've visited the screen a bit more frequently, and I am amazed at the topics some of the guests find themselves in.

Wrathwilde

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Congratulations to the GotMeaders who did so well in the first IMA home meadmaker's competition, as well as all the others.

Kudos also to the chairman of the IMA home meadmakers committee who was the driving force behind all the good people and good things that happened at this year's amateur competition. Our very own {drummmmm rollll} Oskaar!

smeagol2.jpg

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Wrath,

I see a lot of guest browsing member profiles. It's a quick way to see their posts and read up on them. Kind of like what you did with the Oskaar in a nutshell thread. I saw you in my profile for quite some time. What happens is when you hit the view the posts function it launches a new window and leaves the profile window open so you can view the posts in another window all on their own. It's a pretty cool function.

When I first saw you browsing my profile I was like "Ok, this guy's spending an awful lot of time browsing me" I wonder if he's trying to backtrace my IP etc. Which of course you weren't, far from it. I Keep an eye on the who's in where and for what reason because I can backtrace their IP to their ISP in case there is a problem and I have to ban them, and notify the ISP. Which for a forum of this size happens remarkably infrequently.

There are the usual trolls that happen through and are kicked out on their butts, I usually get to them before anyone notices. The most recently was the "canned spam" banning from someone just being a nuissance.

Anyhow the meadfest rocked, we all hoisted a glass to you and the other absent gotmead regulars . . . and Pewter too.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Oskaar said:
Kind of like what you did with the Oskaar in a nutshell thread. I saw you in my profile for quite some time.

It takes a long time to wade through 2000+ posts ;D ;D ;D

I was just wondering about that particular guest because every time I refreshed the page they were viewing another profile. Thought they were trolling for emails... they might have been just before they registered from what Vicky posted.

Wrathwilde

Beertracker

NewBee
Registered Member
Congrats Beertracker!...and yes, our Cyser won gold medal and Best in Show. Being there was an awsome experience anyway, but throwing that on top made it just amazing!!!

So is there any chance of getting recipes for these medal-winning batches, or are they going to be closely guarded secrets?

Thanks, but my hat's off to you & your wife! I'm just a lowly newbie around here, but I'd be most interested in your Cyser recipe if you would like to share? I'm looking to make a good spiced Cyser this Spring/Summer with some fresh harvest Apple varietal honey. Anyone know a good source? ::)

No guarded secrtes here, just persistence & lots of patience! Here's my sweet mead recipe from last year...the only difference between the one that won at the AHA NHC last year & the one that placed 2nd at the IMF is the honey. The 2005 OB honey came from Tulare County, CA vs. Rio Grande Valley, TX for the 2004 batch. PEACE! ;)

Mongo's Candy Mead
http://www.alemakers.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=29

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
No closely guarded secrets here. However, the first line in my brewlog for this cyser says "stinky meadmaker took no notes". My lovely wife is the one who typically writes in the brewlog. I will try to gather as much information as I can and post it later.

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Any idea what spices and in what proportions you used?

Thanks,
Steve

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns