PDA

View Full Version : AO ????

Dalefan
02-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Hello all.

I Started an AO following Joe's recipe and it is in day 51.
It had become very clear with a nice amber color,and fermentation had slowed to a few fine bubbles coming from the bottom.It is a 3 gallon batch and has been kept at 72-74 degrees.I had begun to think about bottling when i noticed a cloudiness had returned.at first look it appears clear but a closer inspection shows fine particles suspended.Could this be coming from the oranges and spices etc. still floating.Should i be thinking of a clearing agent or possibly setting into fridge. Also smell and taste have not changed after this has happened.

David Baldwin
02-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Try chilling it - won't hurt - if you have room in the fridge for it ;D.

If you are in a hurry to bottle, a fining agent should work nicely.

I've used 2-part Super Clear. Brilliantly clear in 48 hours.

David

hedgehog
02-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Just a thought..
another possiblility, is that it could be the yeast getting kicked up. In both of my batches of Joe's Ancient orange, the yeast was extremely easy to disturb, so if i even thought of moving the carboy, poof, it was cloudy again. So I would personally let the carboy sit undisturbed for a few days and see if it goes away on its own, before attempting to add anything...
just my thoughts,
hedgehog

lostnbronx
02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm with Hedgehog, in that I think you should just let this go for a while longer. Bread yeast is very easy to disturb, and even changes in air pressure might be enough to put some of this back into suspension; however, like most yeasts, it will get more settled and stable over time. At day 51, you still have a ways to go, if following Joe Mattioli's time table, so patience is a virtue. Joe has said that if it's clear, it's ready; by derivation then, we can probably say that if this batch isn't yet clear, then it's not ready. This is a "set it and forget it" type of mead, hard as that can be to do with any mead. ;)

-David