PDA

View Full Version : mead to vineger

wyrmsson
02-12-2006, 07:07 PM
My maple mead has been brewing for 2 weeks and has a very slight vineger smell to it. Do i toss it or let it go?

WRATHWILDE
02-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Need more information, recipe, brew temps, yeast used, nutrients... was it oxygenated properly, etc.

Wrathwilde

wyrmsson
02-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Brew temp is around 60 is still perking nicly I used red champange yeast 1 pack added 5 tsp yeast nutriant it is a 5 gal batch used 2 and a half gals pure mable syrup and it has been oxygenated properly
I have had it stored in a closet in the center of my house no sunlight at all
I must say this is only my second batch and am really new to this my first batch was a strawberry and rassberry measd using dark wild flower honey reviews on first batch so far everyone says it is killer

WRATHWILDE
02-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Everything was sterilized before use, yes?

Wrathwilde

wyrmsson
02-12-2006, 08:39 PM
yes twice everything that came in contact with it was sterilized using a bleach solution

WRATHWILDE
02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
You should be fine as long as there are no "growths" on top of your mead.

Wrathwilde

Dmntd
02-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I'd let it ferment out, time will tell.

If the batch somehow got infected and does turn to vinegar, all is not lost. Mead makes a wonderful vinegar. Just be sure to sanitize everything before it's used next.

When life gives to vinegar, make Marinade,

Anthony

HomeBrew
02-12-2006, 09:33 PM
wyrmsson,

You may get "off" smells depending upon the honey type, other sugar source (maple syrup in your case) or yeast type. Subtle smells shouldn't be anything to worrry about. It sounds like your sterilization was fine, so you are probably all right. If the smell gets more pronounced, you may have a problem. If it does get more pronounced, pull a small sample for taste. There will be no mistaking the twang of an infected batch.

Peace.

woody
02-15-2006, 11:57 AM
i agree about not throwing it out if it is vinegar!! wow a maple mead vinegar thatd be just wonderful i bet! but a common reason this happens unintentionally is from must being touched by fruit flies. was you airlock ever open/clear?

Wi1s0nX
02-15-2006, 03:42 PM
I got the same type of vinagerry smell out of my first acerglyn, it fermented out just fine, let it finish and bulk age and see what happens....

-EEg