View Full Version : Preparing for my first mead

02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm new to the forums here, to mead, and homebrewing in general. I was thinking of doing Joe's Ancient Orange because i like the simple procedure, and the one gallon bach size is even more convenient for me. I wanted however to do a straight honey, water, and yeast mead. I was thinking of just modifying the AO recipe to the basics. Has anyone done a similar variation of AO? I would Siphon and filter it to a bottling bucket from the 1 gal carboy. What would the shelf life be after bottling. I saw a modified can of nitrogen gas for sale that extends the shelf life of opened bottles of wine and thought of using that. I would want a sweeter mead so i would expect little to no aging? I would appreciate any help or advice.

02-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the forums Pilgrim (in my best John Wayne stagger and voice)

OK, did you read the entire AO recipe from beginning to end including the part that said don't change or modify any of the recipe?

That's a really important thing to understand and embrace. When you change a recipe, you change the end product. Bottom line, if you want something like Ancient Orange, then make it, if you want something else, then post up a recipe in the recipes section, and ask for some ideas. We have a lot of people here who are totally willing to help, including me.

More importantly, if you don't have an idea of what you want to make, then give us a description of what you think you'd like to have as an end product and we'll give you a lot of options.

Best of luck.