PDA

View Full Version : So, what's in your pantry?

Surfrider
02-18-2006, 09:11 AM
As posted in a related thread (), I got to realizing that I had a lot of ingredients laying around that I should be using up, if for no other reason than to get them out of the way. I wonder what everybody else has laying around, just begging to be used to make something tasty...? I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours:

Available Fermenters
- "unlimited" 1-gallon jugs
- 2 3-gallon carboys
- 2 5-gallon carboys
- 1 6-gallon bucket

Honey, Et Cetera.
- 5 pounds "organic" (it's not certified, from local apiary) wild Blackberry honey
- 10 pounds raw, filtered, grocery-store clover honey
- 7 pounds light malt extract
- 5 pounds "organic" Fireweed honey (I think I have this anyway...)

Yeasts
- 1 Cote des Blancs
- 2 71B-1122
- 2 EC-1118
- 2 D47
- 1 K1V116
- Wyeast liquid Cider yeast
- Wyeast liquid Sweet Mead yeast
- Wyeast german ale yeast (can't recall which strain, exactly)

Fruits
- 3 gallons organic, unfiltered apple juice
- 1/2 gallon organic, unfiltered cranberry juice (100%!)
- 1 gallon organic, unfiltered pear juice
- 5 pounds wild, "organic" local blackberries
- 6 pounds strawberries
- 4 pounds homegrown peaches
- 4 pounds local, "organic" raspberries
- 6 organic tangelos
- 1/2 gallon organic, unfiltered pomegranite juice
- 1 pound dried mango
- 2 pounds organic raisins
- 1 pound organic currants

Spices, Et Cetera
- 2.5 ounces Cascade hops
- 5 ounces Saaz hops
- 5 ounces Fuggles hops
- 2.5 ounces Kent Goldings hops
- organic cinnamon, cloves, allspice, et cetera
- raw, and medium toast american oak chips
- grape tannin
- organic cardamom pods

The Honey Farmer
02-18-2006, 01:58 PM
1100 lbs. of the best Colorado Mt. honey my bees have ever given me. And some other stuff that turns it into mead. ;D :D ::)

Dennis

CheshireCat
02-18-2006, 07:57 PM
One.....thousand?! I..I feel faint..

The Honey Farmer
02-20-2006, 01:48 PM
No, 1100. But that number will go down to by 30 lbs. today. I'm making two more batches.
Have a good day, Dennis

Miriam
02-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Surfrider,

Have you decided what to do with your treasure? I looked at your list again (having intially been overwhelmed by all that good stuff) and it looks to me like you could get at least a oaked cherry-berry melomel, oaked peach melomel, a blackberry honey show mead, and a spiced cranberry cyser out of it. Not very imaginative, and I wouldn't know what to do with the malt and hops, but that's what I would make.

The dried fruit, if I wanted to just clear it out of the cupboard, I'd combine with rice for a rice & raisin wine variation. Actually I'm going to be doing just that later on today: have too much rice and dried fruit in the house.

I have 4 gallons apple juice, 100 grams rosehips, and about a pound of frozen peaches to use up as well: think I'll get out the organic wildflower honey and combine them all into one of those "spring-cleaning" melomels. Those improvised ones have turned out well for me.

Miriam

Scott Horner
02-21-2006, 10:14 AM
anyone else contimplating renting a tanker truck and paying our honey farmer a visit? :D

SteveT
02-21-2006, 02:17 PM
... I wouldn't know what to do with the malt and hops, but that's what I would make.

A braggot comes to mind!