• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Can't clear!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

larooo

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 18, 2006
I have a batch of Mead that I can't seem to clear up. I'm @ .094 & added isinglass, Stirred for several minutes W/drill mixer and even added isinglass a second time W/ no result. Appx 70 degrees constant temp. Any suggestions please? I Have other batches that cleared beautifully under same conditions & I'm stuck!!!!
Thanks in advance.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Sparkolloid works well with mead. Give this one a try and it should clear.

Follow the directions for preparing it, let it sit for a good long time, and you should be rewarded with a clear carboy. If not, come back online, post your recipe and we'll see what we can figure out.

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Larooo,

Can you post your exact recipe, including ingredients, procedure, temps, etc.? There may be a clue there that we'll be able to spot regarding this.

Welcome to the Forums, BTW! Glad to have you!

-David

larooo

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 18, 2006
Re: Can't clear!!!Recipe

T
hank you both for your quick reply, Here is what I did, I'll try the sparkloid unless you guys see something here that I screwed up.

11-5 Mixed 15 lbs honey W/ 6 gal water, added Tannin 1.085
12-9 1.000, Racked & added 1 1/2 oz hungarian oak cubes
2-5 .094, adjusted acid, to 60%, added metabisulphite per directions & added sorbate per directions. then added first pack of isinglass and stirred the hell out of it (alot of air) foamed over a few times so I figured I stirred the isinglass right out the top and when it did not clear in a week tried 1 more pack of isinglass and there she sits, still cloudy!

Thanks so much again, I wish I found this forum a long time ago,

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
Hopefully it's not part of the problem but:

Never "stir the hell" out of a fermentable past the Aerobic stage. Oxygen is needed during the growth phase of the yeast, but after that it's bad news (unless you are making sherry). Gentle stirring so no air is introduced is all that is needed.

It doesn't sound like you did anything bad, but I've never used oak cubes - I believe you are supposed to soak or steam them before use. I'm not sure if not doing that could cause haze. Tannin should have also helped with clearing anything. Sounds like such a simple recipe, I'm surprised it's hazed over at all.

Sparkalloid: 1 teaspoon per gallon. It should be added to 1 to 2 cup(s) boiling water for 15 minutes (some wine journals say just 3 minutes is needed) before adding. Add it in while still hot, stir in gently. I get the mead moving with a gentle stir, then slowly pour. It may take a few weeks to clear completely. Note there is a second type of Sparkalloid that is cold mixed, but not a lot of places carry it. If you have the cold mix type, make sure you don't boil it. ;)

larooo

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 18, 2006
Sparkeloid worked like a charm, Clear & full of lees, Going to rack soon. Thanks for all your inputs. HOWEVER!!!!!
I have yet a third carbouy that is stuck @ 1.080 for the past few months, I have not yet gone to the Stablization phase , I was told to wait until It gets to about .095 or so. Any thoughts or advice from the pros?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns