PDA

View Full Version : Dan McFeeley is Hot in China!

lostnbronx
02-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Check out who one of the references is in this scholarly paper (http://www.wanfangdata.com.cn/qikan/periodical.Articles/zgnz/zgnz2005/0508/050804.htm) in China! Google translates this very roughly, as follows, but better than Babelfish in my opinion:

Different natural spice confrontation honey liquor fermentation and quality influence

Abstract: 醪 center increased the different natural spice to the honey liquor fermentation conducts the research. Initially established the production natural spice honey liquor technical process, became the liquor to each kind carries on 了理 the target analysis, finally indicated: After increases the natural spice, compares the honey liquor with the comparison the fermentation speed has a more distinct enhancement, in the end product liquor precision increases, the remnant sugar quantity reduces, increases 贡 the chrysanthemum and rose's fermentation performance improves obviously, the increase spice ingredient also enhanced the honey liquor quality, caused the fragrance and the feeling in the mouth is more pleasant.
Category number: TS262.91
literature identification code: B

Effect of natural spices on the fermentation and quality of mead

Li ritual (1981-), female, the Hebei prosperous person, master the graduate student, mainly is engaged in the gardening product processing aspect the research.
Li ritual (Chinese agricultural college, agronomy and biological technology institute, Beijing,100094)

□tests Wen?:

[ 1 ] Cao □, 尉 □□, and so on Bee □health care principle and processing technique □[ M ] Beijing: Melts □the labor □publishing house,2002.191-197.
[ 2 ] MCFEELEY D. Honey in history [ J ]. Bee Culture. 2002, 130 (2): 35-38.
[ 3 ] Zhai Wenchun Honey liquor □□value and health care function [ J ] Food science and technology,2004, (8):62-65.
[ 4 ] Gao Yu? Low liquor honey health care liquor □□[ J ] Food labor □,2001, (4):27-28.
[ 5 ] Xiong Jui? Matches 置酒 □□[ J ] □liquor science and technology,1994, (5):40.
[ 6 ] Zhu??, and so on Grape wine labor □hand □[ M ] Beijing: Center □□labor □publishing house,1995.585-586.
[ 7 ] □wears □ Grape wine □quantity and □□[ M ] Beijing: Center □□quantity publishing house,2002.108-136.
[ 8 ] RANKINE B. Making good wine [ M ]. Australia: Pan Macmillan Australia Pty Limited, 2002: 55-59.

Receives the manuscript date: On December 14, 2004

Repairs the manuscript date: On May 23, 2005

Publication date: On August 20, 2005

From what I can tell, the author claims that certain herbs or spices can increase the efficiency and quality of mead production, but there are no details given in this abstract.

Whatever...Dan is the Man in Mainland China!

-David

Miriam
02-21-2006, 07:02 AM
David, how on earth did you find that? :D Amazing!

And Dan, what is this article on honey in history? May we have a look? Hey, you might have met Loong somewhere in that bibliography and never let on... 8)

Miriam

Dan McFeeley
02-21-2006, 02:13 PM

And Dan, what is this article on honey in history? May we have a look? Hey, you might have met Loong somewhere in that bibliography and never let on... 8)

Must be some excellent web searching at work here! Thanks David for posting this.

The 'Honey in History' article was something I'd written for Bee Culture awhile ago. It's not available online, but I'd be happy to s-mail you a copy if you're interested.

Loong is cool, couldn't ask for a better roomie! ::) ;)

lostnbronx
02-21-2006, 05:23 PM

Must be some excellent web searching at work here! Thanks David for posting this.

I hate to undermine my own mystique here, but I cannot tell a lie (to you guys, anyway): I found it completely by accident while researching information on continuous mead fermentation techniques/devices, such as Dan mentioned he heard about at the Meadfest, in another thread. I'd seen something recently in passing, about research into continous mead fermentation being done in China. According to at least one online paper I read, China is the biggest honey producer in the world, but that upwards of 20% or more of it is considered to be of very low-quality (that is, it's from floral sources that impart flavor profiles that most people do not care for). This leaves a large quantity of honey that has no easy market -- even in China. A possible solution to this issue is to turn the low-end honey into ethanol for the medical and general manufacturing industries, as well as for other markets that use distilled alcohol. In such a situation, the flavor of the mead from the initial mash is not important, but it seems to me that such a system could be adapted to commercial meads. It's definitely worth looking into, anyway.

-David