• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

upcoming meads...

Barrel Char Wood Products

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
Hello,

What are planning on brewing (meading/mazing?) this weekend? I have two batches I am planning (maybe three) for this weekend.

A Straight show mead with cranberry honey,

a spiced ginger/honey brew,

and an Orange mead with honeybells and orange blosoom honey.

Of course, my wife might have something to say about this!

Brian

ciderman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 26, 2005
Thinking about AO. I'd really like something to drink while I wait for my Sweet to run its course. Also toying with trying lostnbronx's flash method for a cranberry mead made with orange blossom honey + crasins. That might be above my head at this point, but I guess I wont get any kind of payoff if I don't take some chances.

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Well, I've got community service on Saturday, and I have to move furniture Sunday, so nothing this weekend. Next Friday I have free from school, so I'm planning on starting a rhodomel. Never tasted one before, so I'm really excited! (Not that I can say I've tasted any meads before, with the exception of my orange mel.)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well,

I'll have a little over three hundred lbs of honey by next weekend so I'll be making some new batches which are old recipies from my early mead making days, and some from Croatian Antiquity coming up.

Plus I have about thirty gallons of apple juice on order from TJ'S. Guess what's going on at Oskaar's place!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
I brew during the week, as Saturdays are Sabbath, a day dedicated to other things - and Sundays in Israel are already the start of a new week. No Sundays off in Israel! But I finally caught up with an apricot melomel I've been thinking of for many months. Pulled the frozen apricots out just before the new apricot season starts, sigh. All the same, it smells divine already.It has some frozen green table grapes and a little ginger in it, and the honey is organic wildflower. I have never tasted such an evocative honey; it was like standing in the middle of a wild field in on a warm spring day and breathing in the perfumes of all the wild flowers.

Oskaar, this is intriguing...what are these meads from Croatian Antiquity?! Inquiring history hounds want to know.

Miriam

woody

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 14, 2006
hi miriam,
im a new professional meader. im, for obvious reasons, interested in organic honey from around the world. where did you get yours, hows it certified, and can they get a bunch do you think? the way you describe the nose is exciting! your recipie sounds great! do you leave skins on the apricots?
thanks woody

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Still learning, so I am keeping the Meads simple.

1 gallon Sweet Show Mead - Orange Blossom (have to perfect this one)
1 gallon Sweet Show Mead - Blueberry Blossom

(not Mead, but I will be starting 5 gal of Belgian Wit)

Angus

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Miriam said:
Oskaar, this is intriguing...what are these meads from Croatian Antiquity?! Inquiring history hounds want to know.

Likewise. From the reading I've done (not much, and mostly from your own recommendations), it looks like there was a mead culture in what was to become Croatia, prior to the influx of Greek winemaking. Is this accurate?

So, how far back are we going here? ;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Dan McFeeley said:
Likewise. From the reading I've done (not much, and mostly from your own recommendations), it looks like there was a mead culture in what was to become Croatia, prior to the influx of Greek winemaking. Is this accurate?

So, how far back are we going here? ;D

Supposedly it goes back a long way. It's pretty simple recipe wise, I'm going to modify it slightly, just based on material and process. This is a no-heat mead based on what I've been told by the guy who put me in touch with the winemaker that read off the recipe to me over the phone. It's from Vis Island and it is pretty interesting. I'll hold off on saying any more until I have it underway because I want to be sure of how I'm going to approach it with modern measurements and ingredients. It has lavender, rosemary and a couple of other herbs in it that are "esoteric."

Based on what the winemaker told me this recipe is supposed to be from around the time when the Illyrians and Macedonians were making war on each other before Phillip began to move into Greece. That could be true, but I'd really be surprised if it is that old. Who knows, because there's no documentation on the recipe and it's a verbal hand me down from times past.

More as I get underway.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
woody said:
hi miriam,
im a new professional meader. im, for obvious reasons, interested in organic honey from around the world. where did you get yours, hows it certified, and can they get a bunch do you think? the way you describe the nose is exciting! your recipie sounds great! do you leave skins on the apricots?
thanks woody

Hi Woody,

Just turned the computer on after the Sabbath. I'll be happy to put you in touch with the supplier of the honey: there are several organic honeys here in Israel, but this one beats all the ones I've tried before. I don't know if it has any certification, Woody. There is an Israeli Bio-Organic organization here that's linked to the Bio-Organic people in England, and they qualify to certify products, but some organic products come from idealistic small farms and they just have to be taken on trust. I get the feeling that this honey is one such. It was crudely packaged into a 1.5 kg. jar with a little hand-written sticker on it. I'll ask the distributor on Monday - he delivers a crateful of organic produce every week, and sells this honey as well. Anyway, when I get the details I'll PM you.

I just rinsed and stoned the apricots before freezinging them. They release plenty of juice once thawed. I sanitize a bag made of a new nylon stocking and pour the thawed fruit in (amazing how much one knee-high sock can hold!), then mash it with a sanitized potato masher in the primary. Primtive methods, and no doubt you will be employing modern ones in your meadery. But the smell of the must is so delicious I keep strolling over to the primary for a little sniff. :)

Every success for you and the meadery - the world needs more mead. :D

Miriam

HomeBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
I currently have a morat that is ready to bottle and I am in the process of brewing a pLambic braggot. For 2006, I will be focusing more on beer brewing (stocks are dwindling). The planned brews:

Mead:
Sparkling Wild Rasberry/ Ginger
Cyser

All-Grain Beer:
Cherry Dubbel
Saison (been putting this one off for awhile)
Wild Rasberry Weiss
Wild Mulberry Weiss
Tangerine Porter

Peace.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns