PDA

View Full Version : Beer caps not sealing on beer bottles

Charlene
02-23-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm having problems with closures these days. The latest is some sparkling cyser I put up a few weeks ago in beer bottles with beer caps. Today one of the caps was leaking. I removed it - the cyser is slightly sparkling but not as much as beer.

Why did it leak? What am I doing wrong? I thought beer caps were really foolproof, that you put them on and they stayed on no matter what.

SteveT
02-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Normally beer caps hold very well... what kind of capper are you using, does it dimple the top of the cap when you seat it, and what kind of bottles are you using?

Charlene
02-23-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm using an Agata stand beer capper and regular Old Speckled Hen 500 ml bottles.

The other six in that gallon seem to be holding fine.

Oskaar
02-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Check and see if you can move your capper down one more notch, or add a couple of pieces of cardboard under the bottles so you get a full stroke on the lever when crowning them.

Can you photo one of the bottles top down and sideways, so we can see the lip

Cheers,

Oskaar

Charlene
02-23-2006, 08:46 PM
I've recapped the other six according to your suggestion, Oskaar. Thank you. Don't have a camera available, I'm sorry.

The cyser is very good, though - smooth and integrated already. I only bottled it on the 6th.