PDA

View Full Version : how can i stop fermentation?

kersme
02-23-2006, 06:55 PM
is there any way i cant stop my mead fermenting further? (i like it just as it is, i dont want it fermenting anymore), someone said something to me about putting it somewhere cold. would putting it in the fridge be enough? after how long could i bottle it without any chances of the bottles exploding? (i have campden tablets, someone suggested that too, but i was also told they leave a nasty taste)

Oskaar
02-23-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't use campden tablets, rather I use powdered suflite at the minimum dosage. Check on http://www.morebeer.com for the recommended dose based on volume, pH and in conjunction with sorbate.

You can put them in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks to "cold shock" the little beasties, but if you have a really vigorous ferment going, it may not stop it so you can easily slide by your final gravity target. I recently purchased an Enolmatic filler/filter and a .4 micron filter to run it through the filter and remove the yeast and bacteria in order to stop it at target SG if I have a batch that is going longer and may run past my final brix/SG target.

With a .4 filter, you remove the yeast, and you will not affect the flavor, color or aroma. Anything smaller and you lose character, pigment and flavor.

BTW, morebeer.com will match St Pat's prices on just about anything you order. Talk to Olin if you have any problems.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

kersme
02-24-2006, 06:54 AM
thanks