PDA

View Full Version : Fermentation Questions

GrantLee63
02-23-2006, 09:55 PM
This past Saturday, Feb. 19, I made a 5 gallon batch of 'Traditional Mead' from Charlie Papizan's The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. On Tuesday, Feb. 21, I made a 5 gallon batch of Joe's Ancient Orange. I followed the recipe and procedures to the 'T' with both of these and everything appears just fine to me - a complete newbie. I have these 6 1/2 gallon carboys in my basement where the temperature is approximately 65 degrees F. Both of these are pushing between 13 - 16 bubbles through the airlock every minute. After several days of perusing through this forum, I ran across several threads where other members mentioned that they were getting a bubble every 1-2 seconds. Are my batches going to be OK? I realize that they are in an environment that is a liitle cooler than recommended, but my assumption is that the total time will just take a little longer. Should I be concerned, or should I "Not worry and have a home brew"?

Thanks in advance for your help - GrantLee63

Lugh
02-23-2006, 11:32 PM
B: Not worry and have a homebrew. ;D

You are correct - you are on the lower end of mead/wine yeasties temp range, so they are going to be sluggish. At least you won't have to worry about any off flavors due to temp variance or high temps.

lostnbronx
02-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Actually, 68 degrees is pretty cold for Ancient Orange. Assuming you used Fleishmann's bread yeast, Joe Mattioli has stated that it likes fermentation temps up around 90 degrees, and my personal experience with it concurs. Maybe you can put an electric blanket or something around the AO to help it along...?

-David

GrantLee63
02-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks - Actually, according to the AO recipe posted, Joe indicates that "it likes a little heat - (70-80)". I know mine is in a cooler than ideal temperature environment and my primary concern isn't that it's going to take a longer time, but that I know it will come out OK.

I'll get a couple fermentation pads if necessary, but I'm not 100% sure they're actually necessary at this point.

Thanks again - GrantLee63

lostnbronx
02-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks - Actually, according to the AO recipe posted, Joe indicates that "it likes a little heat - (70-80)".

I'm really sure I remember Joe mentioning in a follow-up to that, that "Fleishmann's likes it warm -- up around 90 degrees", but try as I might, I can't find the post now. :(

It may be just as well, because Fleishmann's is even more prone to throwing phenals and off-flavors at too-high temps, and anything much above 90 causes this (personal experience with it talking here).

Though slower than usual, this otherwise sounds quite good. The cooler temps may actually help it clear faster, so, in the end, it might finish up right on time!

-David