PDA

View Full Version : Cork? Cap? Screw? Keg?

waynes
02-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Ok guys,
I am a Real Newbie here. Been lurking around here and have been Captured by Joe's AO recipe which I am planning to start this weekend. I have also been a little confused (not that its that hard to confuse me ???). Assuming that this AO makes it to bottling, what is the preffered method of sealing the bottle? purists seem to do nothing but cork, progressives screw and/or cap and many keg? Is there a real "best" method? If the AO survives to bottle I will be leaning to 187 or 375ml bottles as my lovely bride and I dont drink that often. Yet. I do kind of lean towards sparkling also.
Wayne

Lugh
02-24-2006, 05:31 PM
The correct answer is: Whatever you prefer. ;)

Switzerland has been using screwcaps since the 1970 - in 1995 they exceeded 60 million caps. So to heck with corks I say! Use bags! http://www.fermtech.on.ca/wine%20dispensing/winedisp.html

It really comes down to how long is it going to be in the container, and how secure, i.e., oxygen resistant, the container is and how stable the mead is. You can cork it, but if you open it, drink half, then recork it, the large amount of air in the bottle will oxidize the mead.

I use EZ-cap bottles with their wire and gasket closure for things that are not going to sit around for very long, cork and bottle for presentation and long term small storage, and cornelius kegs for bulk storage and serving where presentation isn't an issue.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! ;D

Oskaar
02-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Here's a link to one of my posts on this subject (corks, screwcaps, synthetic corks, etc.) which is within a thread with a very good discussion of the aforementioned.

Read up on the links and ask more questions as they arise,

Cheers,

Oskaar

GrantLee63
02-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey Oskaar ..... I don't see the link .....

Oskaar
02-26-2006, 03:18 PM
d'OH!

Forgot to paste the link:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=103&topic=3407.msg29164#msg29164

Cheers,

Oskaar