• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

joes anceint orange ???

Barrel Char Wood Products

theshadowhammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
is this mead done quicker than others because of the type of yeast used?

if i made a similar mead using a wyeast smack pack 3632 for dry mead i guess it would take longer
also with this yeast to make it semi dry how much honey would i need for a 5 gallon batch?
and im not really into cinammon so i tought i would use mulling spices (cracked cassia, cloves, allspice, cardamon seed, and mace)

last question has any one triied to make this sparkling?

this is the best mead forum i have found any and all help will be appreciated
thank you

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Welcome to the forums :D
first thing you should be aware of is that Joe spent a veeeerrry loooong time developing that recipe. It was designed as a very simple, good for beginners recipe that would yield good results. The bread yeast will take the meat to about 14% - 16 % ABV. I would encourage you to try a 1 gallon first and then ramp it up to a 5 gal batch. Some on the forum reported using Red Star baking yeast that resulted in a drier mead (higher ABV???) If you decide to use Fleishmans yeast, you might try to use 3lb honey/gallon instead of 31/2, the mulling spices sound really good...as for sparkling, I have no clue how the CO2 carbonation will affect the mead. By all means, plase try it and let the rest of us know.

Hope this helps,
Brewbear

theshadowhammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
thanks

i will start with a one gallon batch
the qustion remains though does this mead ready so quickly because of the yeast choice

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Brewbear said:
Some on the forum reported using Red Star baking yeast that resulted in a drier mead (higher ABV???)

It was probably me. I used a Red Star fast rising yeast and ended up with a dry OA.

No idea what the ABV was, since it's a melomel.

theshadowhammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
ok im going to play a little bit whadda ya think

i bought some summer flower honey (langnese german honey)
some new spices ceylon cloves, ceylon cinnamon(its milder than the normal stuff), and mace(again softer than nutmeg)

i red star bread yeast
and navel oranges

im going to make 2 batches a gallon each
i also bought some orange blossum honey this way i can compare the honey side by side
now, does any one know where to find the original post for joe's AO recipe(i cant find it on the search)
i like semi dry meads will bred yeast poop out with a certain amount of honey so i dont have to back sweeten this is after all supossed to be an easy and quick to drink recipe
thanks

theshadowhammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
i forgot i have one more question i need answered please
when fermenting a gallon batch what do you do it in?
i went by the brew shop and they were closed can i do it in a 5 gallon carboy or will it give it to much air space?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
TheShadowHammer,

Seems like everyone was being polite and being helpful, so I'll ask you a couple of questions.

Have you ever made this mead before?

Have you made mead before?

Did you read Joe's recipe, including the obvious admonitions to follow the recipe exactly to the letter without deviating the first time you make it?

There's a reason, it's because this mead is designed to be made exactly as it was posted, no deviations or all bets are off. So if you want to experiment that's fine, just don't expect the experiment to be ready in the same amount of time, behave as expected, or taste as good as the original posted recipe.

In other words, take a chance, Custer did!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Tyred

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2005
Location is in recipes (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=103&topic=600.0). There's quite alot of posts about it and various comments about how people have gone with making it. You could also check the brewlog as there are posts in there about it as well.

I would also recommend that you stick to the original recipe as well. After making that, you can try experimenting. At least then, you will have a point of reference to compare with.

I'm not sure about doing a one gallon batch in a five gallon bottle. The amount of carbon dioxide created should be enough to protect the brew, but it to me it seems to be wasteful of space.

theshadowhammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
custer man thats a bad omen....

i found the recipe on the home page the search forum would not pull it up.
i plan to stick to the recipe as close as i can when i went to the spice store i followed my nose.

have i made mead ??? i hope so .

i am a newbie
and am triing to learn
got one batch going and i hope it works out (plum pear melomel)
after this weeek end ill have 4 batches going but that does not mean ive made mead. if it tastes great. then ive made mead.
but i can tell with little research this is the place to learn.

tomorrow ill let tou know whats in the oven "so to speak"

theshadowhammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
okay im done mixing and now i have to wait

hear are the meads im tinkering with these are my first tryes so any advice will be appreciated.

1.plum pear melomel

juice from 7lbs black plums
juice from 7lbs pears(barlett, bosc, d anjou)
15 lbs mixed flower honey from local supplier
5 gallons water
forma k as instructed
pectic enzyme as instructed
2 pks lavlin 71b-1122

soaked pears and plums in campden tabs 24 hrs
brought 3 gallons water to 110 f, mixed in honey, put in primary with juice forma k 2 gallons cold water
and pectic enzyme finally i pitched my rehydrated yeast as directed
og reading 1.083
on the third day i added 1 pound of honey because i realized i should have topped up to 5 gallons water(im still learning how to read instructions)
its bubbling and looks happy i hope it is
would love to age this with oak in secondary

2.semi dry show mead
13 1/2 lbs trader joes mesquite honey
wyeast 3632 liquid smack pak
3 2/3 gallons water

followed the same plan as above with out the water mistake
og reading was 1.102

3.almost joe's ancient orange

3 1/2 lbs german summer flower honey(langnese)
1 lg navel orange
1 cinnamon stick(ceylon)
1 clove(ceylon)
1 pinch mace(grenada blade)
1 tsp red star fast rising yeast

i canged the yaest in hopes of making it dryer i hope it works

4.not quite joe's ancient orange

this is the same recipe as above but i used 3 1/2 lbs of dawsons orange blossum honey
the color on the german honey looks prettier more golden
cant wait to see witch one tasted better

any tips or things to look out for from hear will be listened to
thanks for the help

theshadowhammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
im two days into the fermentation so far so good

the mead with the german honey looks and smells better than the orange blossum honey mead
also the orange blossum has a slightly brown skin to the top of some of the yeast foam

the german honey has white foam
and is bubbling 1 bubble every 5 sec
orange is at 1 bubble every 10 sec

opinions are appreciated

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Lots of observations and comments in the Ancient Orange thread in the recipe section. Some of them answer questions you are asking. I will try to post more thoughts there...

Good luck,
Pewter

buzzerj

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
San Jose CA
Welcome to Gotmead Allen. If you followed Joe's recipe to the letter and the JAO is fermenting at a more or less moderated temperature in the high 60's to low 70's, the oranges should drop suddenly during the next week. Shadowhammer, your recipes look good. But don't do a one gallon batch in a five gallon container. It may work alright for the first few days to a week but then I'd quickly rack it to a gallon glass jug because the extra air space becomes your enemy after the active fermentation subsides. Oxygen in the airspace is not good after the first week or two in a mead. When it's in a more refined secondary fermentation, your mead needs less available airspace than more because there's less carbon dioxide being produced by the yeast and more oxygen in the remaining air available to mix. The idea is to limit the surface area of the mead in contact with oxygen. So I'd rack your mead to a gallon glass jug if you have it (check Craigslist if you don't) and top up your mead to reduce available airspace and you'll end up with better mead. One other note - using the 71B yeast in your plum/pear melomel will end up with a much nicer, easier to handle yeast layer on the bottom of your container (the lees) than the bread yeast. The bread yeast doesn't flocculate as well so it kicks up more easily when you rack it. Just take a little more care with racking your almost JAO batch and you'll be fine. You'll recognize what I'm talking about when you get the stage to rack both your meads. One other benefit to limit the airspace with JAO is the oranges float in this recipe. Floating oranges in contact with air can spoil and spoilage in your fruit while making your mead is not what you're looking for. That ruined my first JAO batch and with care you can avoid that. Otherwise welcome to the group and read all you can especially the complete Joe's Ancient Orange thread and the Newbee Guide. You can learn from our mistakes and get some great advice to make all your meads successful.

Buzzer

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns