PDA

View Full Version : Well my friends...

Dmntd
02-25-2006, 06:49 PM
I've deised to marry my girl, we've been together nearly 5 years and I really believe this one is right.

Looking for some advice on rings.

This is the ring I'm having made,

http://www.titaniumera.com/ordergraph/carved-adrastea-platinum.jpg http://www.titaniumera.com/ordergraph/Cleopatra_p_1.jpg http://www.titaniumera.com/ordergraph/Cleopatra_p_2.jpg

It's 6-6-2 Titanium, with carved platinum inlays, 6.5mm wide will hold a gem stone of about 1 carat.

Since we've been together I've given her diamond, ruby and emerald jewelry. I want this to be very special, and am thinking of having this ring made with a 1 carat deep blue sapphire.

I understand, diamond is the standard for such a ring, but can anyone think of a reason not to break tradition, and have a truely one of a kind ring made to signify this one time event.

I'm 44 and have never been married, have always said if I ever did it, I'd do it once and it would be an occasion to be remembered.

Anthony

Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage ~ Theodore Roosevelt

abejita
02-25-2006, 06:55 PM
I try to urge people to stay away from diamonds. Apart from being so typical, the human rights issues surrounding conflict diamonds is something to consider.

I don't know a lot about the origins of star sapphires, but I think a star gem would be pretty in that setting.

edit to add: On second thought, a star sapphire wouldn't work. They're cabochons and that's a setting for something faceted.

SteveT
02-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Anthony,

That is a beautiful ring... it is the thought that counts, and a sapphire would be absoulutely stunning.

Your fiance is very fortunate :)

Steve

Dmntd
02-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Thank's Steve,

Your input is bith thoughtful and helpful,

Anthony

The Honey Farmer
02-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Good day DMNTD, we've never posted to each other but I just wanted to say, that ring says "I love you" all over it. Wow, wow and wow again.

Happy honeymoon, Dennis

HomeBrew
02-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Anthony,

Congratulations on the upcoming marriage! That ring is awesome, no matter what stone you choose.

My SE and I were together for +8 years before we were married this past summer. We probably would have never married, but we decided to have kids. Healther insurance, legal issues, etc. make it almost mandatory to be married if you have children.

All the best for you and yours.

Peace.

lostnbronx
02-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Anthony,

That's simply gorgeous. I wish I had an opinion on the stone, but I know less than nothing about such things, and am a Philistine about the finer things in life anyway. I did buy my wife an engagement ring, but the only thing I ever looked at about it was the bill. We did tattoos for our wedding rings.

Your basic design here is fabulous, though, and it shows style and taste. I have no doubt that whatever stone you finally go with will be just as fine. Congratulations!

-David

Dmntd
02-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Thank you David,

I must say, tatto's show much more class and style then most possess.

Anthony

Oskaar
02-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Hey Anthony!

So you and the little lady are going professional eh! Thats just awesome dude! My sincere and heartfelt congratulations to you both! The ring is a true work of art and the titanium/platinum sings out loud for something unique. Knowing how pretty your Mrs to be is (as well as our common weakness for redheads >:D ) I'd suggest Tanzanite, Emerald or Amethyst. They just seem to stand out wonderfully on cute redheads, and my last girlfriend was a PHAAAA-REEEK for Tanzanite so I really developed a taste for it.

Whatever you decide as a stone I'm sure it will be perfect! You have good taste my man, run with it!

Congratulations to you and yours!

Pete

Miriam
02-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Mazal tov, Anthony. May joy and harmony reign in your home, and all who enter feel the blessing therein.

As a woman, I would be thrilled to receive that beautiful ring. There's no reason on earth not to break away from the diamond tradition. If your fiancee is fond of a particular stone, go for that. I can certainly see a diamond, but a sapphire or emerald would be stunning. It will be a ring to pass from descendant to descendant over hundreds of years, Anthony.

Miriam

Brewbear
02-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Anthony,
Congratulations!!!!
The ring is awsome and it shows class. How about setting in it your future wife's birth stone? Just a thought!

Health, wealth and happyness to you and yours,
Brewbear

Charlene
02-26-2006, 06:51 AM
I try to urge people to stay away from diamonds. Apart from being so typical, the human rights issues surrounding conflict diamonds is something to consider.

That's never a problem if you buy a Canadian polar bear diamond from an authorized registered supplier. There are absolutely no human rights issues whatsoever to them.

Consul
02-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Congratulations on your marriage! I must say that that's a great looking setting.

A friend of mine back in Colorado is a jeweler and a goldsmith, and his number one stone is amethyst. I personally think that a nice, deeply-colored purple amethyst would look great in this, but that's just my opinion. In the end, any good-quality stone would work great in that setting.

abejita
02-26-2006, 01:18 PM

That's never a problem if you buy a Canadian polar bear diamond from an authorized registered supplier. There are absolutely no human rights issues whatsoever to them.

Thanks for the info, Charlene. I knew there were conflict-free diamonds in existence, I just wasn't sure how to get them.

Oskaar is right about tanzanite. It's gorgeous. Something different, too. It's a really unique shade of violet. Iolite might be another nice stone. It's sort of indigo colored. Peridot might look nice as well.

Dan McFeeley
02-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Hello Anthony -- congratulations and best wishes. Just remember, once you've proposed and given her the ring, then the fun really begins (i.e., planning the wedding! :o ;D ).

I understand, diamond is the standard for such a ring, but can anyone think of a reason not to break tradition, and have a truely one of a kind ring made to signify this one time event.

Do need a reason to "break" tradition? ;D ;D ;D Make your own!

Mynx
02-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Holy jeebus that's pretty!

Sapphires are beautiful, IMO... what is her birthstone tho? That might be a plan :D

Also, congrats!!!

byathread
02-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Congratulations Anthony!

The ring looks incredible. She'll love it whatever you decide!

Cheers,
Kirk

hiddendragonet
03-03-2006, 05:36 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Boy, are you in the right place for a Honeymoon, or what? Dmntd, it will be the greatest day of your life. :)

Have just gotten married a year ago myself, the ring process is fresh in mind. I LOVE your stellar choice, by the way! Awesome design. Anyway, I originally got my wife a platinum ring, but we ended up trading it in for a white gold one instead. Now I know, I know, platinum is really cool, more expensive, and seems worth it. But! It's a much softer metal, and it nicks, scratches, and wears really easily. You can get it polished, but each polishing takes off another layer. White gold looks almost exactly the same, and it lasts longer. The downside to white gold is that it eventually shows a little yellow through, but that can be easily remedied by a quick "dip" in some chemical at the jeweler and it's bright as ever! Now what I'm not sure about is, if you were to get a white gold inlay in that titanium, what would the effect of the dip be on the titanium. (My guess is nothing). Anyway, might be worthwhile asking about the white gold option because it is depressing when your intricate design shows wear and tear after a month, ya know?

Congratulations to you, and best wishes to the future Mrs. Dmntd!

HD

David Baldwin
03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Anthony,

Let me echo the many voices of congratulations!

The ring is beautiful. My wife (11 years this April 1st) requested a sapphire for her engagement ring. It is beautiful and she still gets comments on it. Her wedding band wrapped the sapphire solitair with two smaller diamonds.

A good sapphire would be spectacular in that setting (My own seriously biased opinion) ;D

David

Mynx
03-03-2006, 06:07 PM
/applauds David for getting married on April Fool's Day ;)

David Baldwin
03-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Mynx,

It seemed appropriate... ;D ;D ;D

We started dating in August, were engaged about six weeks later, and married the following April 1st.

It happened to be the best weekend available during Spring Break. I graduated (finally after 10 years) with my BA about 8 weeks after our wedding.

It has had it's benefits. I have NEVER fotgotten our anniversary! ;D

NeadMead
03-04-2006, 05:52 AM
1st: Congratulations, Sir, on your upcoming nuptuals. 2nd: It is the thought that counts. 3rd: I personally feel that diamond is overrated as the "token of true love." True love should be determined by your treatment of her, not the gifts you give. 4th: Sapphire would look spectacular in that band. I am not so sure about the diamond. Good luck. May the gods grant you great brews.