• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Carbonation

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rintrah

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2006
Does anyone know which brewing processes determines wheter the mead will end up carbonated like a stout beer or a regular lager. Does it depend on the yeast?

palecricket1

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2005
carbonation depends on alot of things, but yes yeast strain does have to do with it. Some yeasts are designed specifically for carbonation. Look on the manufactorer's webpage to check the yeast description. But it also depends on how much sugar you prime it with. More sugar equals more carbonation. Less sugar will give you a lighter, finer carbonation.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Rintrah
Are you asking about the difference in carbonation texture between stout and lager, or the amount of carbonation?

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
To my knowledge the creamy texture of some stouts that you are interested in has little to do with the type of yeast used. That type of mouth feel is obtained by a combination of creating a beer with a certain texture itself and serving it from a nitrogen pressurized system rather than a CO2 pressurized system. The ability to serve such beer out of a can (Guinness draft for example) was developed when someone discovered that they could seal the can with a certain dose of liquid nitrogen inside along with a plastic widget that would simulate the agitation of being poured from a draft. Its something that is difficult to replicate at home.

HomeBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
JoeM is correct, the "creaminess" of stouts is due to the grain bill and not the yeast type. Oats in particular are used to add creaminess to brew. The nitrogen sparge may inhance the affect due to the smaller bubble size, but it is not necessary. If you are doing a straight mead, it may be difficult to duplicate this affect without adding grains. You could use a non-grain, non-fermentable additive like malto dextrin. This will increase the mouthfeel, but you probably won't achieve creamy goodness.

Peace.

Rintrah

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2006
thanks alot, I guess I'll try with some grains then. It would be neat with a stoutish mead:)

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
Which yeasts are best to avoid carbonation and which ones are best for inciting carbonation?

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Carbonation (by the priming method) is achieved when a must has a starting gravity that will produce an alcohol level lower than the yeasts tolerance, and it is allowed to ferment to completion and then more sugar is added at bottling (to produce carbonation). This set of conditions is easier to achieve with a yeast that has a higher alcohol tolerance, but its not a necessary feature as long as the gravities are calculated accordingly. In other words any yeast can be use to produce carbonation or not produce carbonation, it all has to do with how much sugar is added and when.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns