PDA

View Full Version : low/no cost bottles

NeadMead
03-03-2006, 10:22 PM
I am on a budget, so I was wondering if it is possible to use beer and wine bottles from other makers (ie. Budwiser, Miller, Asti, et cetera) obviously after they have been properly cleaned and sterilized (of course).

Brewbear
03-03-2006, 11:09 PM
You can use any bottles you have (properly cleaned and sanitized), just keep in mind light exposure issues (more so for beer) and the fact that some european bottles have a larger diametes than theit US counterparts.

Cheers,
Brewbear

WRATHWILDE
03-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Isn't there an issue with the bottles that use the twist off bottle caps? I seem to recall reading that they don't work so well with home capping. I don't do any bottle capping so anyone else want to join in, I've had only sporadic luck with the search engine of late.

Wrathwilde

Brewbear
03-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Wrath,
You are right, the twist off bottles ate a pain in the arse, stay clear of them!

Cheers
Brewbear

agfisher
03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Isn't there an issue with the bottles that use the twist off bottle caps? I seem to recall reading that they don't work so well with home capping. I don't do any bottle capping so anyone else want to join in, I've had only sporadic luck with the search engine of late.

Wrathwilde

The glass in the necks of twist offs afre thinner so more fragile. They can be capped put are tough and can break.

Adam

WRATHWILDE
03-04-2006, 12:26 AM
agfisher,

Like your tag line... Army of Darkness is one of my all time favorite horror/comedy movies. Have you seen Dead Alive?

Wrathwilde

WRATHWILDE
03-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Anyone ever try corking a beer bottle, and if so do they use an #8 or #9? I have no Idea since I only use wine bottles and don't recall ever running across a post dealing with the subject.

Wrathwilde

SteveT
03-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Anyone ever try corking a beer bottle, and if so do they use an #8 or #9? I have no Idea since I only use wine bottles and don't recall ever running across a post dealing with the subject.

I wouldn't do it... the glass walls on most beer bottles are too thin, except perhaps a long neck 12oz. And, in that case, i'd use a cap.

Steve

WRATHWILDE
03-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks SteveT!

NeedMead had messaged me about the possibility of corking beer bottles and I found myself at a loss (a rarity I know, but it happens). Thanks Again.

Wrathwilde

palecricket1
03-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Wrath, I've corked beer bottles before -- mostly to hold chemicals and solvents when I've short on flasks though, never for wine. I can pretty easily fit a standard wine cork -- the ones that come with commerical wines -- and they fit pretty snug, enough so that nothing leaks, but so that I can ease it out with my bear hand when I need with some force. So I guess you'd use a size larger with a homecorker to get a more snug fit.

NeadMead
03-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the input. I might just go with capping long necks or wine bottles. Of course, on the other hand, I might just go with ordering bottles and loosing an arm and leg due to shipping costs. >:( :'( May the gods grant you great brews.

SteveT
03-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the input. I might just go with capping long necks or wine bottles. Of course, on the other hand, I might just go with ordering bottles and loosing an arm and leg due to shipping costs. >:( :'( May the gods grant you great brews.

If you want no cost, get your friends, or stop at restaruants and pick up their free wine bottles!!

I've got cases of wine bottles this way...

Soak them in a tub overnight, I use dishwasher powder and hot water. Most of the labels fall off...

Steve

SteveT
03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Need -- One other great source I forgot to mention... the local recycling center! I've gotten most of my Grolsh style flip top's for 5 cents each!

Steve