PDA

View Full Version : 1st true mead

jallan6977
03-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Well it hAs taken almost a week, but yesterday my honey rasin mix started producing gas. The % alcohol now reads 12.00
and rising. The taste doesn't realy taste alcoholic yet but is still quite sweet. It may yet turn into something good:>)

Riadfodig
03-11-2006, 04:43 AM
Do you mean 12.00% potential alcohol? That would make a lot more sense since it tastes sweet and not like alcohol (something as early on as this usually would have at least some alcohol flavor)

jallan6977
03-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Do you mean 12.00% potential alcohol? That would make a lot more sense since it tastes sweet and not like alcohol (something as early on as this usually would have at least some alcohol flavor)

I took the reading from the percent of alcohol scale on a standard brewing hydrometer. I took another reading a week later and it has dropped to 9. It is gaining a little alcy flavor, but quite weak yet. I just checked the scale name, and yes it is potential.
I am not sure on my readings so would like to know if 9 is better than 12. 9 would be near 16 brix or 68 sg just by reading accross the scales at the same point. Future readings could be by either of the three scale depending on which would make the most sense to you and others.