PDA

View Full Version : Acid

Rintrah
03-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Soooooo..... one of my batches of mead is abit too acidic in taste. Its clearing as we speak and I don't know what to do about it. Its made of honey, orange juice and lemon juice and some raisins. Any tips? Could lactose help?

Oskaar
03-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Would you post your exact recipe and what your desired end prodct is please? That way we can get a good sense of the overall composition of the mead, as well as what you're looking to produce.

Thanks,

Oskaar

Rintrah
03-11-2006, 04:58 PM
well this is a 5 gallon batch with lemon juice from 8 lemons, 3 pints of orange juice, 13 pounds of honey and two handfuls of raisings. Spices include Ginger, cinammon and clove. I used nottigham yeast and I had it standing in room temperature for 3 weeks before I racked it a couple of days ago and placed it outside in the cold. I am not aiming for any particular taste, but I'd like it medium dry and thus I can add some sugars. Its 12%. It might have been somewhat contaminated either by wild yeasts or bacteria because I have never had any problems with my batches and the yeast residue looked somewhat strange. But really the only problem with it is that its to acidic and I would like not to use chemicals to even it out.

Rintrah
03-11-2006, 05:11 PM
i am drinking it right now. The aroma is abit yeasty because its not completely clear yet, there is also a weak lemon and orange smell. The taste is boring and was little flavor from the honey. Could I use liquid maltextract? It could use some sugar and well... taste.

Oskaar
03-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Well,

IMO too much citric acid up front, not enough honey up front, lots of aggressive spices up front. Really this shouldn't be a problem to backsweeten to a point that you feel suits your taste. I'd rack and let it settle for a bit, make up a honey water sweetener solution, and rack onto the the honey water to the gravity you feel matches your sweet tooth.

I don't think that LME or DME will be a good addition here, I'd stick with honey and give it some time. Then start adding spices once you have your sugar issue cured.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar