PDA

View Full Version : Share mead with a celeb

NeadMead
03-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Okay, Mead Lovers, which celebrities would you like to share mead with? I will start it off. Pierce Brosnan, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Wills, Cynthia Rothrock, Michelle Yeoh, Jackie Chan, Jamie Foxx, Sam Elliott, Tom Selleck, Enya, Denzel Washington, Kenneth Brannagh, Keanu Reeves, Renee Zelwegger, Morgan Freeman, Alyson Hannigan, Natasha Lyonne and Emma Thompson. That is just to name a few. May the gods grant you great brews.

theshadowhammer
03-14-2006, 10:25 PM
the guy that played Buliwyf in the thirtenth warrior he was awesome in that role

Lugh
03-14-2006, 11:57 PM
The problem is, celebrities are people too. Some I've met are really nice people, and some are arrogant so-and-so's...

I'd rather share mead with a good friend than some celebrity any day of the week.

NeadMead
03-15-2006, 01:38 AM
I liked Herger the Joyous. "Honey, it's made from honey." He got Antonio Banderas to drink even though he was Muslim. I liked his character the best.

--SEmper
03-15-2006, 03:09 AM
I'd go for Sean Connery and Katherine Zeta Jones... As far as I know those are two people who are knowledgeable about whisky, so I think they would also appreciate the complexity a mead can have.

Ooh, and also definetly Michael Jackson. No, not that MJ. I'm talking about the beerhunter.

About the 13th Warrior, is there another movie which instills such thirst to gulp down entire bottles of mead in one go? ;D

NeadMead
03-15-2006, 04:33 AM
The first movie that I know of that mentioned mead was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves with Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater, Alan Rickman, Mary Elizabeth Masterontonio, and Michael McShane. Alan Rickman unfortunately gets cast as a villian too often. I would also have one with him out of pity. LOL

May the gods grant you great brews,
Gerald

WRATHWILDE
03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Hugh Hefner and who ever else happens to be in the Grotto. ;)

Wrathwilde

ken_schramm
03-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Clapton would be at the top of my list, but he doesn't drink anymore, and I'd like it to stay that way so as he keeps making good music. And Stevie Ray quit drinking before he died, so he's out two different ways.

Jon Stewart, because he'd be good conversation, I think he'd love the mead, and if he's that funny sober...

I would be really grateful to hoist a glass with Eva Crane, but I doubt I'll be getting to the UK anytime too soon.

I heard that Kathy Ireland did some homebrewing, so she'd be a good start. I don't know how good the conversation would be, but she could be a Rhodes scholar for all I know.

I'd love to tip one with Robert Parker, just to get him attuned to how good meads can be.

I'd have loved to raise a mead with Richard Feynmann or Einstein. I suppose that as long as it'll never happen, we ought to let the dead guys on the list. Jesus, to find out what the deal really was. Copernicus and Galileo. While we've got the universal translator fired up, Sun Tsu, Tico Brahe, and Ghengis Khan (that would have to be a rippin' good bottle). FDR and Churchill, and you gotta know they'd be into the third bottle before the conversation really got rolling. As for living guys, let's put Hawking on there. Sheldon Glashow, Daniel Dennett and George Will (I know he likes good beer).

Renée Montagne, Cokie Roberts and Molly Ivins for the intellectual stimulation. Kelly Ripa and Angelina Jolie because I have two different 23d chromosomes. Valérie Allain. Jeri Ryan (or Seven of Nine). Just don't tell my wife.

Back to music: Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, everybody from Yes, Genesis (Including Pete, and we'd better have Tony Levin come along, too) and Pink Floyd (even if they wouldn't stop fighting), Page, Carlos, Mark Knopfler, Marley, Fagen and Becker, Jimi, Little Feat - and as long as we can raise the dead they'd better bring Lowell, Stevie Wonder, Duke Ellington, Miles, Bach and that impetuous little Mozart. I'll bet Tsaichovsky would be a scream.

If I invited any of them to a mead kegger, do you think any of them would come? The live ones, I mean.

Neither do I.

Ken

Dan McFeeley
03-15-2006, 04:20 PM
I'd have loved to raise a mead with Richard Feynmann or Einstein. . . .

Einstein, Feynmann -- cool! These names only lead to the logical conclusion of alternate universes. Right? Sure, it makes sense. ::)

So here's my choice.

Hagrid!!!

;D ;D ;D

Dan McFeeley
03-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Next choice, two or three weeks (maybe more) sharing oak aged mead with Albus Dumbledore.

Hey, it's an alternate universe -- why not? ;D

Wonder if two or three weeks would be enough . . .

Angus
03-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Musicians - The Police, just so I can give Copeland and Sumner a smack upside the head for breaking up a good thing. David Bowie, and Queen....RIP Freddie :'(

Authors - Tolkein and Lewis - already drinking buddies, but I would love to hear how they critique each others work. Sir Francis Bacon - "Did you really write all of the plays in his name?"

Actors - None. They can make their own damn Mead. Better yet, buy White Winter Winery Meads and help grow a fantastic little Meadery.

Politicians - All are welcome anytime. Oh, wait. Sorry. Can't ship it to you as it may impact your favorite Special Interest Distributors.

And finally, freinds. In fact, only freinds. Forget the rest. ;)

Angus

Dan McFeeley
03-15-2006, 05:56 PM
And finally, friends. In fact, only friends. Forget the rest. ;)

Amen. Friends come first. Share mead with this one/s:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/mcfeeley/vickyjudge2.jpg

and others! ;D ;D ;D

The Honey Farmer
03-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Halle Berry. Nuff said.

Dennis 8)

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Personally, I'd want to share my mead with Oskaar's red-headed nympho (or several of them), 'cause even though she's not a celebrity, it'd be fun! ::) ::) ::)

It may sound funny but my first choice of a person to share some mead with right now would be Ken Schramm so that I could discuss the finer aspects of meadmaking. Second choice would actually be several of the forum members that I've never met like Oskaar, Mynx, Miriam, Angus, Ancient Joe, Dan, and a bunch of others. Third choice would be those like Vicki, Hedgehog, Wrathwilde, and the others that I've already met but where it's been WAY TOO LONG since we shared our last mead together (already looking forward to War in August)...

I am not into Hollywood that much and would have a hard time relating to someone that makes more money in one film than I will make in a lifetime and then complains about how tough their life is. I am also kinda guessing that nice looking lady stars all have the same sort of attitude that the cheerleaders had back in high school. Can't imagine the preppie attitude would be much fun to deal with...

ken_schramm
03-17-2006, 09:55 AM
It may sound funny but my first choice of a person to share some mead with right now would be Ken Schramm so that I could discuss the finer aspects of meadmaking.

I'm honored, but the thread is: "Share mead with a _celeb_."

So far, not one person has recognized me in the grocery store, and I'm pretty confident that I will die with that record intact.

Seriously, I'll hoist a mead with pretty much anyone who is willing to come over to my house. You've got to leave sober if you're driving. If it's a Friday or Saturday, I can recommmend a cab service and a couple of very nice hotels. If you come during the Summer, there'll almost assuredly be some kind of fruit we can eat from the fourth of July on out.

Ken

Oskaar
03-17-2006, 10:51 AM
I tend to be pretty unimpressed with celebrities across the board. I've been working in the Financial District of downtown Los Angeles for the last decade, and take lunch (when I'm there during normal human being hours) at a Restaraunt that has caught on with the local celebs and elected officials. It was a great place until the stinking paparazzi started crowding around the entrance waiting for a "celebrity" sighting, and now the lens hungry stars are there on a daily basis making it pretty tough to have a nice quiet lunch at the bar ogling my favorite bartendress! It used to be great because I'd sit at the side of the bar where the waitresses would come to pick up cocktails and we'd chat there quietly and have CNN at low volume on the tele next to the bar. Now it's a crush at lunch time, and they're kind enough to have a seat for me (the Oskaar memorial bar stool) there when I call ahead.

Another really annoying thing about celebrities is the number of movies that are shot in downtown LA on a daily basis. They're no good for anything more than blocking traffic, tripling the time it takes to get to the freeway from the parking structures, and pissing me off when I'm in a hurry. Plus, when they're filming in the buildings they try to tell you that you have to wait to go from one elevator bay to the next. Hang that sh!t. I just walk through and let them yell.

OK, so with all of that there's only one celeb that I would consider sharing my hard earned mead with, and that would be Henry Kissinger. He was on the Board of Directors at one of the companies I worked for in downtown LA along with Pete Wilson and a couple of other local elected officials (Richard Riordan, etc.) So these guys would be in the executive dining room swilling wine, noshing on brie, shrimp and pate and generally running up the company food bill. I actually had a very pleasant conversation with Dr. Kissinger who is hilarious with a rapier wit. He was engaging and personable in a setting where many of the other political and celebrity guests were acting like complete "diva" celebritties. There's also a very funny story I have about meeting him in an awkward situation that led to the conversation we had afterward, but that's not for publication here.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE
03-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey Oskaar...

I feel the same way, I met Drew Barrymore when she was filming Bad Girls in Sonora, she was staying at the Sonora Inn just a block and a half from my house. I walked into the local video store and there she was. My first thought was that's Drew Barrymore, then I got a closer look and thought... no that's just some scuzzy 13 year old. About a minute later she threw one hell of a hissy fit because the video store wasn't going to let her rent (evidently the production company hadn't paid their bill for her rentals). We ended up talking about films for 5 to 10 minutes - not hers - I suggested she rent House of Games, which she had heard of but hadn't seen, but she was on a mission... she rented Rumblefish because she said she was going to be working with Francis Ford Copula and wanted to view some of his work. She was nice enough to talk to and we were alone so there was no need for celebrity posturing, but I still had the feeling she was name dropping and more than a little self centered. On the other hand... a number of my friends were extras on the film, so a lot of the production company ended up partying at my place. They were a fun group and eager to help fund all of our party excesses. My house was quite a Party house for the whole run of production, no change there... just a few more people. They said they kept trying to get Drew to party with us but I believe it was just after one of her rehab stints, so no luck there.
She didn't really strike me as the type of person it would be fun to party with anyway, I can't imagine having to deal with her high, drunk or strung out, maybe a good Mushroom journey where she could lose herself for three or four hours... but that's about it.

Wrathwilde

ken_schramm
03-17-2006, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to blow off celebrities all in one swipe.

I was charged with videotaping Chuck Daly's retirement announcement when I worked for the Palace of Auburn Hills. It was at the restaurant he owned at the time in Farmington Hills, and afterward a few of the staff ended up having a drink with George Blaha (the team play by play announcer) and Vinnie "the Microwave" Johnson. George is smart, astute and a really cheerful guy. Vinnie was totally kind and modest, and we ended up drinking and talking for hours. It was a gas. Joe Dumars is a great person, too; also modest, well read, and pretty much a guy you'd like to have as your next door neighbor (although I never got the chance to raise a glass with him). There were guys who were consumed with themselves on that team, but not all of them.

The guys from Rush went bowling with the video crew after one show there (I engineered that show, but I left about 10 minutes before they showed up). Celebrities are humans. Some of them are nice, and some are -ssholes.

KDS

Oskaar
03-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey Ken,

I didn't define myself too well.

I'm just unimpressed with celebrity in general because of the constant exposure to them in the area I where I work. I do get annoyed by the constant filming in the downtown area because they (movie companies) block off streets in three block sections when they're filming on a small section of a street corner. I have met some very nice people in the business and of course I'm generalizing, but I'd stack up the quality of the people I've met in meadmaking (like you) against the celebrity sector any day!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL

Cheers,

Pete

NeadMead
03-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Ken, are you from MI? I am. I have been to the Palace twice. I am not really a star crazy person. Those are just celebrities I would like to meet. There are celebrities I do not want to meet.

Gerald

ken_schramm
03-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Ken, are you from MI? I am. I have been to the Palace twice. I am not really a star crazy person. Those are just celebrities I would like to meet. There are celebrities I do not want to meet.

Gerald

Yeah, I live in Troy. I'm in the phone book.

Ken

theshadowhammer
03-18-2006, 03:19 PM
i was at a bar in springfeild missouri 8 or 9 years ago. i drove a girl freind back to school there. anyway a freind of hers called and invited us to a local bar. we went only to find out the girls knew brad pitt was supposed to be there his bro owns a radio station in town or something.
he showed up it sucked. i was trying to get in this girls pants and her and the whole bar including her wanted to hang out with brad pitt . long story short.
he just wanted to get anyway from all the people who knew him as brad pitt. i was in the corner visibley pissed because i wasnt getting laid. he could tell i didnt want to be there and he didnt want to deal with these people so he came over and said hi we had 2 beers and he left. it was cool but he was sick of being brad at least that night

WRATHWILDE
03-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Most Musicians and bands I've had a chance to party with have been very cool people and lots of fun to talk to and Party with. From Local bands to bands touring medium size Venues and festivals. I've never met or partied with the Stadium Venue MegaStars however.
Wavy Gravy was cool to party with, as was a Candidate for Governor I met backstage at the 100th Monkey Solar Powered Concert in Nevada.
All touring theatre performers I've Partied with have been cool and very appreciative, some even looking me up the next time they were performing in town.
An Exmember of the Oakland Raiders who one of my friends worked for - I wouldn't want to party with if you paid me, a very aggressive guy who owned a Bail Bond/Bounty Hunter Service, I went out with them a few times when they needed an extra body on a bounty hunt.
Most Comedians I've met have been lots of fun to talk with in the bar after performances, some of those conversations have lasted several hours, Most of them are just as animated off stage.
Gallagher who I haven't met seems to have no sense of humour if it isn't his. When I saw him in Milwaukee My Dad had purchased tickets at the very back of the theatre. In boredom, before the show, I decided to see if I could make a paper airplane that would reach the stage out of my program. My first plane landed in about the third row, the second plane I made out of my dads program, it didn't make the stage either... but I had started something. By the time Gallagher came out the stage was littered with Paper Airplanes and he was not amused, in fact I'd say he was closer to pissed off. A friend of mine who has met him said that sounds about right - Evidently he was a complete jerk in person. Too bad... as I've always enjoyed his performances.
I do have a couple of rules I abide by when meeting/talking to celebrities... I never ask for their autograph, I don't treat them any different than anybody else I might strike up a conversation with and unless we've been introduced I don't greet them by name or acknowledge their celebrity. Believe it or not they tend to be more receptive to people who aren't "Chasing the Celebrity". At least that's my view on it.
There were a lot of films shot up in the Sonora Area and they hold a festival of sorts every year that Celebrities turn out for. Back To the Future was filmed there, as well as a number of westerns, Little House on the Prairie and who knows how many others. So I have met more than my share.
The one celebrity I do have an Autograph from I never met - George Burns sent me a birthday card when I was a kid... this was just after "Oh, God!" came out... My mom worked with his daughter at the time. I was one lucky kid. ;D ;D ;D

Wrathwilde

NeadMead
03-19-2006, 02:25 PM
You are lucky, Wrathwilde. I would love to have had an autograph from George Burns. Him and a lot of the older comedians were better than the ones we have now. And they weren't as vulgar. That is not to say I do not like the vulgar comedians today, but I like the older ones better. George Burns did have a dirty mind; just not vulgar. I did meet Nazareth when I still lived in MI. They were pretty good Scotsmen, especially considering one of their original members had recently passed away before their performance.

Gerald

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Ken,

I guess for me there is a basic difference between "sharing a mead" with someone and "having a drink" with someone. And anyway, you and Vicki and possibly Oskaar are already celebrities when it comes to mead. With mead, you aren't just "sitting down to socialize" but there is a focus on the mead that could not be present with a celebrity that was a complete stranger, might have an attitude, may never have had mead before, and might not care for mead compared to their Chateau de Rothschildt Lafite.

Sharing mead for me is like our tasting at last Pennsic War or even better like the evenings around the campfire sharing mead and staring into the fire while ladies with hauntingly beatiful voices sang old ballads. There is a comraderie that I am not certain I could ever find with a movie star that I have already found with Vicki, Hedgehog, and Wrathwilde and I am certain would be there with you, Oskaar, Joe, Dan, or most anyone else here. Maybe the bond is a common love of mead and is there before we ever even shake hands. Maybe the bond is a shared hobby. But it is a basis upon which I have found that friendships form very quickly.

Pewter

The Honey Farmer
03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Well said Pewter.

Dennis 8)

Fwee
03-21-2006, 02:22 AM
I'd like to sit down and have a drink (and cigar) with Samuel L. Clemens. (a.k.a. Mark Twain)

Then I'd like to chat with Dave Matthews. (or the entire band)

CindyY
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
I can hardly believe my good fortune, but this really happened - I got to share (well sort of) mead with Alan Lee, the Lord of the Rings conceptual artist, and one of my favorite artists of all times. He was in town at a book signing and afterward I gave him a bottle of my mead as a thank you for all his wonderful work. He got terribly flustered, then accepted, then asked me to drink it with him. Unfortunately (damn, damn, double damn), I couldn't stay so he gave me a big hug instead. RED LETTER DAY in my life.

WRATHWILDE
03-25-2006, 09:51 PM
CindyY,

Welcome to the forum!!! It's awesome that he invited you to share it with him, very gracious behavior. Have you seen the LOTR extras on DVD, wonderful interviews, Alan Lee included.

Wrathwilde

CindyY
03-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Dear Wrathwilde,
Yes, I have MEMORIZED all the LOTR extra stuff, and I think that's where I became such a fan of Alan Lee. Besides being so very talented, he is, as you pointed out, a very gracious man. In person, too.
CindyY
And thanks for the wonderful welcome.

NeadMead
03-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Two things. One, CindyY, welcome to the forums. Two, I would also like to drink mead with Alan Shepard and John Glenn. I actually met them when I was a kid. I got to see Alan Shepard when his son, Alan Shepard, Junior, graduated combat pilot school At (heh heh) Shepard Air Force Base in Wichta Falls, Texas. That was cool.

Gerald

Miriam
03-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Folks I'd like to drink mead with (leisurely, over a 3-hour lunch): Shakespeare; Queen Elizabeth I; Gertrude Stein and Picasso, together; Peter Jackson; Virginia Woolfe and her sister, Vanessa Bell.

Miriam

lostnbronx
03-27-2006, 02:17 AM
If I could choose a fictional character, it would be a toss-up between Lord Peter Whimsey (from the Dorothy L. Sayers mystery books), Captain Nemo (20,000 Leagues, of course), and Cheeta Torpeda (a wistful super-hero robot from the Love & Rockets comics of the '80's).

Real people: Ben Franklin, Ghengis Kahn (as an honored guest, thank you!), Homer (of The Iliad and Odyssey), Dr. George Washington Carver (who, sadly, didn't drink, but this is my daydream), George Gershwin (in full post-show-party mode), and Robin Williams (in his hyperkinetic, coked-out days -- just for the laughs).

-David

NeadMead
03-29-2006, 03:54 AM
Well if you go for fictional characters I would choose Beetle Bailey, Hagar the Horrible, Yoda (have you seen him on weed? ;D), Rube and Roxy.

Gerald

David Baldwin
04-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I had the opportunity to meet Owain Phyfe again this past weekend. He's a regular entertainer at the Oklahoma Medieval Fair, and his home stage is the Jewel stage at the Michigan Renaissance Festival.

I was able to present him with two small bottles of my mead. The first was an oaked batch of the Ancient Orange, and the second was my semi-dry concord pyment (also oaked). I'll have to wait until I see him at Mich Ren Fest to see how he liked them, but he told me that he was having fun showing off the bottle of AO. When I gave him the AO, he gave me a huge smile and asked "Is that mead?"

Unfortunately somone seemes to have taken the tankard he has used during these fairs for many years. The mead wouldn't bring back the tankard, but I think it brightened his day a bit to have a "hometown" fan meet him a thousand miles from home with a bottle of homebrewed mead.

David Baldwin