PDA

View Full Version : I'm in! I'm finally in! WOO-HOO!!

Fwee
03-18-2006, 03:06 AM
:cheers:

NeadMead
03-18-2006, 04:36 AM
Welcome to GotMead. I am new here myself. I have been a regular on the forum since the beginning of this month and just became a subscriber a couple of days ago. I have not tried nor seen mead myself. I do not do home brewing yet either, but I am looking into trying it soon. I ordered two bottles of mead earlier this week, and am looking forward to its arrival. You will find the people here to be very friendly and helpful. You can also find beer and wine recipes on some of the boards on this site. Keep looking at the posts and asking the older mazers. I hear a lot of praise for Ken Schramm's book. The people here think that it is the best around. I am going to get it before I start my own home brewing.

May the gods grant you great brews,
Gerald

GntlKnght
03-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Welcome Fwee and NeadMead!
As I'm sure you will find, Mead can be as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it. It is, after all, just fermented honey/water. You can make a very simple recipe in a few minutes or make one that is much more complicated that takes hours, depending on your personality and patience!

Definitely get Ken Schramm's book, the Compleat Meadmaker. It is what finally made me think I could do it! I had read two other books on winemaking (that had a small section on mead) and they scared the crap out of me!

Joe's Ancient is a good one to start with. It is simple and fun. A Simple Cyser is another good one to try, when you want to try something else.

Most of all, enjoy!!! Mead should be fun! ;D

Brewbear
03-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the forums ;D
First you must decide if you like sweet or dry mead (kinda' like wine but better ;)) and then look for the recipes. The Ancient orange is a really good one to start with ;)

Cheers,
Brewbear

Angus
03-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Welcome Fwee,

I would love to get some more feedback on the NewBee guide from you (and anyone else reading it). If it is too complicated, let me know and I will adjust it accordingly. Just Email me at Angus@Gotmead.com.

Thanks,

Angus

NeadMead
03-19-2006, 02:14 PM
I tried my first mead lastnight. I liked it. ;D Unfortunately, I liked it so much I drank the entire bottle. :( Now I have only one bottle left. :'( I think I should change my name to NeadMoreMead. ::)LOL

Gerald

NeadMead
03-20-2006, 01:29 AM
contemplated having this "problem" also. ;D

That's why when I start, I'm going to try and start a batch every week for about a month and a half or so. That way, if I like it, I'll have a steady supply for a while until I get myself a larger carboy. ;D

Unfortunately, I have not started to brew yet. I ordered it from a meadery here in NC. Now I am in worse shape. I am wiping out my second and last bottle. :'(

Gerald

Angus
03-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Fwee,

Actually, you are in the perfect position to critique it as it was written specifically for someone just like you. I will go back and read it all again. It may be that my little experience may have carried over into expecting others to understand something because I have already done it myself. Thanks for the feedback.

Angus

Thurisaz
04-15-2006, 01:36 PM
...An online aquaintence of mine (from Germany - who might show up here sometime soon) kept mentioning mead on another board...

He's here now ;D

pearlheartgtr
04-16-2006, 04:02 AM
Welcome!

Just like you I am a newbee who had no real experience with mead. I had it once a while back and that was about it. I am not a wine drinker. I am more or less a chick who likes beer and whiskey and relaxing with a good Absinthe. But wine isn't much my thing.

I started a couple months ago with a metheglyn, a cyser and a pyment. The pyment at bottling is close to Merlot (couple of weeks ago) and the others just need their time to settle.

I have a batch of Ancient Orange brewing along with a batch of Blueberry at the moment.

With my extreme inexperience I was scared at how things would turn out (initial smells and tastes) but after cruising through the forum here and asking questions, I found that these things are normal and well on their way to something good.

All I can say for those of us who are real imapatient is that you really have to wait it out. Leave your AO alone and just forget about it for a bit. Though I still check to make sure things are bubbling right. Look but don't touch.

Welcome and I hope you yeild good results.

Thurisaz
04-17-2006, 04:09 AM
Everybody, meet Thurisaz. He's from Germany, and he's the only person on the face of the Earth that has the Poetic Edda completely memorized!

Go ahead, quiz him.
He likes it when you do that. ;D :D

:o

Some day I'll get you for that! >:D

Thurisaz
04-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Wanna bet? :D

webmaster
04-18-2006, 09:07 AM
OK, Fwee, better hide, 'cause here goes.... >:D

Thurisaz, how about giving us a bit of the Vafthrutnismol, The Ballad of Vafthruthnir?

Danke!

Vicky - ::grinning, ducking & running::

Thurisaz
04-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Thurisaz, how about giving us a bit of the Vafthrutnismol, The Ballad of Vafthruthnir?

Danke!

Want English or German version? ::)

Thurisaz
04-19-2006, 11:53 PM
There's no need to duck'n run. He's nothin' but a big'ol teddy bear. :P

You've been talking to my wife in secret - confess now! :o

>:D

WRATHWILDE
04-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Talking? Is that what they call it now days? >:D

Wrathwilde

Oskaar
04-20-2006, 02:32 AM
Talking?

I was going to say wrong verb . . . but that would just be . . . wrong.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Thurisaz
04-20-2006, 01:35 PM
He's only a teddy bear when he has to be.

I guess now's a good time to clear that up... ;D

Before we really got together, after a certain rather bizarre happening, we invented some nicknames for each other. While I call her "verrŁcktes Huhn" (crazy chicken) she christened me "BlŲdbšr" (silly bear)... >:D

Thurisaz
04-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Do you think now would be a good time to tell them that you don't even like girls? http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/dmbuds/Neat%20Expressions/001.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Fweethawt/Tiny%20Smileys/z7shysterical.gif

You know, I really don't like girls... I'm absolutely hot for them 8)

WRATHWILDE
04-20-2006, 01:55 PM
You two must be in Europe, girls will get you arrested here in the States... we have to be content with young women. :'( ;) >:D

Wrathwilde

Oskaar
04-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Hey, no one squawked when Maurice Chevalier sang "Thank Heavens for Little Girls!!"

Besides, in Europe there are plenty of countries where the age of consent is lower than here in the USA.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE
04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Come to think of it... I don't remember too much fuss when Oingo Boingo's "Little Girls" was getting lots of airplay in SoCal. For those of you not familiar with the song...

I love little girls they make me feel so good
I love little girls they make me feel so bad
When theyíre around they make me feel
Like Iím the only guy in town
I love little girls they make me feel so good

They donít care if Iím a one way mirror
Theyíre not frightened by my cold exterior

They donít ask me questions
They donít want to scold me
They donít look for answers
They just want to hold me
Isnít this fun
Isnít this what lifeís all about
Isnít this a dream come true
Isnít this a nightmare too

(repeat first verse)

They donít care about my inclinations
Theyíre not frightened by my revelations

Uh oh take a second take
Uh oh itís a mistake
Uh oh Iím in trouble
Uh oh the little girl was just to little
Too little, too little, too little, too little, too little, too little...

Isnít this what lifeís all about
Isnít this a dream come true
Isnít this a nightmare too . . .

And I donít care what people say
And I donít care what people think
And I donít care how we look walking down the street

For those of you not familiar with Oingo Boingo, you will most likely be familiar with its driving force... Danny Elfman, who has gone on to become the most sought after film soundtrack composer of all time. Films he did the soundtrack or opening theme for...

Peewee's Big Adventure, Weird Science, Beetlejuice, Scrooged, Batman, Batman Returns, the Simpsons (Theme), Dick Tracy, Darkman, Edward Scissorhands, Army of Darkness, Nightmare Before Christmas (also was the voice for Jack), Dolores Claiborne, Dead Presidents, Mission:Impossible, Peter Jackson's "The Frighteners", Mars Attacks, Men In Black 1&2, Flubber, Good Will Hunting, Sleepy Hollow, Spy Kids, Spiderman 1&2, Chicago, Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride... and that's only 1/2 of them.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar
04-20-2006, 04:05 PM
I used to go watch them at Madam Wong's in Chinatown, in the Downtown LA area when they played the very (and I mean very) small club circuit before they released Only a Lad and got really popular. There were some good parties with the band and very much a personal concert experience. It was a lot of fun.

Back then they were still called the "Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo" and Danny would come in wearing the pajamas with the feet in them. They' all be dressed up and going crazy.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE
04-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Oskaar,
It looks like Richard Elfman has another film project, the Sixth Element, that Danny will be doing the soundtrack for. Should be weird, lets hope it's a throwback to the crazy Forbiddenzone days.

Wrathwilde

WRATHWILDE
04-21-2006, 03:44 AM
Update... it may very well be a throwback to Forbidden Zone... as it's a cross dimension tale with Danny Elfman, once again, playing Satan.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar
04-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Groovy, we'll see what they whip out to the theaters!

cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE
04-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Bwahahaaaaa!!!

Sit down and nobody will get hurt... our demands are simple, a couple of Blondes, a couple of Redheads, a selection of aged meads... and we'll be entering the forbidden zone in no time.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar
04-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Fwee,

It's kind of like that Christmas Vacation Movie where Randy Quaid says to Chevy Chase (when his Rotweiller starts humping Chevy's leg)

"You don't want him around if you're wearing short pants if you know what I mean. A word of warning though: If he does lay into you, it's best to just let him finish." ;D ;D :D ;)

Oskaar

Oskaar
04-22-2006, 05:03 AM
LOL

Watch the movie you'll get it!

Cheers,

Oskaar