PDA

View Full Version : Ideas?????

Igor
03-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Hey. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions about recipes for the following honey which I have comming in the next several weeks. Buckwheat and Orange Blossom honey. I have currently brewing, joes ancient orange w/ medium french cubes, ginger cinnamon warm ups, a fall spice mead, which needs to sit and bulk age for the next 7 mnts, and a braggot. Since this is the first time I will have this kind of honey, what does it taste like and what flavors will it impart on the mead??? Further, what kinds of yeast should I use??? EC-1118 is what I have been using so far, althought the braggot I used D-47. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Oskaar
03-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Can you give us an idea of what you're hankerin' for end productwise. There are lots of cool things you can do with those honeys, but it really depends on what you like to drink.

Orange Blossom is a very popular honey that makes a really great traditional mead (dry, semi-sweet, or sweet). The Buckwheat really depends on what type of buckwheat you have, Eastern or Western Buckwheat.

So give us a target to shoot for and we'll try to come up with something for you.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Igor
03-18-2006, 12:59 PM
I am open to all ideas. So far I have mainly stuck with honeys available from my state of mn. Most of the meads I brew I carbonize, except for an experimental batch of tropical ambrosia, which was still. I understand that different yeasts will effect the dryness or sweetness, as it relates to how low the gravity will finallize at. I am open to anything new. As to the buckwheat honey I belive this is eastern??? I am ordering it from Wisconson, if that is a help. As a help on sunday I will try making a 5 gallon batch of fire orange ginger mead, which I will divide into 5 1 gallon batch and I will use the following yeast; lalvin 71b-1122,EC-1118, D-47, and red star Premier Cuvee, and Pasteur red. The honey I will use is a wildflower from the local area. ;D ;D