PDA

View Full Version : Cookbook

Dmntd
03-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Over the last ten years I've refined a couple hundered ideas into recipes.

Cakes, cookies, icing and frosting, fish, meat and poultry. non-bovine dairy alternatives for cheese cake, icecream, lasagna, manicotti, pizza and ravioli.
Sauces, dips, and drinks, and mead. Soup, stock, and so on.

I've started collecting the notebooks, scraps of paper and cards these have been writen on, as well as writing down those which are only in my head.

Any thoughts about how many recipes might be enough for a cookbook?

Once compiled and formatted how does one go about getting a book published?

With the volume of recipes I've created, might it be better to compile a 2 or 3 volume set of cookbooks or one very large book?

I also plan on writing chapters on methods of preparation, tools and equipment.

Anthony

WRATHWILDE
03-19-2006, 12:15 AM
Dmntd,

Hmm... could be published online here for no start up cost to speak of and you could split the take with Vicky to an arrangement agreeable to both, I'm quite sure you'd make more per download with Vicky than you would per book through a traditional publisher and You'd have 60,000 people a month who might stumble across your recipe book here and give it a try. I'd be willing to buy/review a copy for the site... I'm always looking for good recipes, and although I haven't tried anything you've posted yet... they have all looked delicious!

Wrathwilde

Dmntd
03-19-2006, 12:19 AM
I hadn't thought about an Ebook, that's a good idea.

Thank's,

Anthony

Oskaar
03-19-2006, 09:31 PM
I'd say run with it dude! Another cook book is always a good thing in any kitchen!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Greenblood
03-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Anthony,

Check out www.Lulu.com (http://www.Lulu.com)

It is a "print on demand" print house. It works in a similar way to cafe press. There are no upfront costs to you. If you realy want to take it to the next level, there is a one time fee that you can pay to put the book on Amazon.com

Best of luck!

John

Dmntd
03-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks John,

Great advice.

Anthony

webmaster
03-21-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm considering Lulu myself for the GM books I'm working on.....

Brewbear
03-23-2006, 01:42 AM
...And Anthony,
The mustard man, don't forget the mustard!!!!PLEASE!!!!
All my friends are sick and tired of me saying : you should try "this" with Anthony's mead mustard". They don't know what they're missing!
Do the e-book, it sounds cool.

Cheers,
Brewbear

Dmntd
03-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey Brewbear,

I'll be making mustard next week.

Lulu is a better way to go for publishing a book.

It's print on demand, meaning the book is not printed until it's paid for by the consumer (no out of pocket), it can be bought in digital format as well.

Global Distribution cost $159.00, this service covers;

ISBN, Bookland-EAN bar code, the book is entered into Ingram's database (largest US book wholesaler), putting the book in the same wholesale channels as major US publishers, allowing book retailers like Amazon, B&N, and Borders to sell the book. The title will also be made available in the UK through Bertrams and Gardners, who are wholesalers in the UK market. The title will be entered in Books In Print, Titles@Ingram, and Nielsen BookData (UK) bibliographic databases to facilitate the widest availability around the world.

This puts the book in searchable database's that librarians, booksellers, publishers, students, faculty, researchers, library patrons and bookstore customers around the world use to find the exact titles they need.

Anthony

Mynx
03-23-2006, 12:40 PM
I'd be SO into this!

I love cookbooks, and any recipe you've posted has made my mouth water!

Brewbear
03-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Mynx, at the risk of repeating myself, you should try the mustard he makes. Along with the croatian sausages (from Oskaar) and some mead....HEAVEN
Cheers,
Brewbear

Mynx
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
BB< hearing you rave about it certainly puts it at top of my list of things to make...esp since I get home made sausages from my parent's farm that are astounding :D

byathread
03-28-2006, 12:03 PM
:o YUM!

That is all.

Oskaar
03-28-2006, 12:09 PM
As Karl, the former manager of the the Riverside B3 store said, "He should just call that mustard DAMNED GOOD! It doesn't need any other explanation because when they taste it they'll understand."

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Cheers,

Oskaar