• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Kumquats

Barrel Char Wood Products

sickpuppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2006
Hi all,

New to forum but have been reading for awhile.

Got hooked on Mead at Bunratty Castle in Ireland and have found that it is hard to come by in this part of the US (South Louisiana). I stumbled across this site and have made one batch of “Ancient Orange” and it took me back to Ireland. My wife loved it and the first batch did not last very long. I am now a month into my 2nd batch and can hardly wait until it is ready.

Question: I have a Kumquat bush, and was wondering if instead of an orange could I use Kumquats. I have looked over the forum and have not found one reference to Kumquats.

I am waiting for an order of equipment and chemicals to arrive so I can try other recipes and to expand my little Meadery.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Welcome to the boards.

While you can change the ingredients in recipes, bottom line is that Joe's recipe was made to yield a nice drinkable mead using that EXACT recipe. If you change ingredients, all bets are off. Experimentation is risky, but one must take great risk to have great success.

Cheers,

Oskaar

sickpuppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2006
Oskaar,

Thanks for the reply. I think it would be risky to change a sure thing like Joe’s recipe. I was just wondering if Kumquat (the sweet variety) would be an option in a recipe and if anyone has tried it.

But the next recipe I want to try, after I get the additives I need, is CW Mead Experiment. The only problem I will have is the 68F fermentation temperature. Do you think an old refrigerator will work and maintain that high of a temperature?

Thanks again.

sickpuppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2006
Wrathwilde,

:D That is just the thing I need. That will turn a refrigerator into a wine cooler for a lot less money than a big wine cooler.

Thanks of the info.
Dan

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns