View Full Version : Had to try.

03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
I just had to try it. I have had great luck with two batches of AO and decided to experiment a little. I have substituted KUMQUATS for the orange in the AO recipe.
I know all guarantees are off but so far so good.

It is fermenting faster than the other AO batches. I had left about 5 or 6 inches of headroom and after a couple of days toped up to within 3 inches of top, as I had done with the AO. But after a day it was bubbling up into the airlock. I used my wine thief (meat baster) to add headroom. Of course, I could not just dump it. It had a great taste, still real sweet but with a great hint of kumquat. This was after a week, so if it continues on this path it should be real good. (fingers crossed)


03-28-2006, 01:36 AM
The joys of newbees.
I wish I had a wine thief when I first started making mead, or maybe not! I would have atleast emptied the carboy until the thief couldn't reach anymore. lol
I also wish I would have had a pc when I first started so I could have had gotmead.com!
Guarantees maybe off but if you like the fruit you added and practiced good sterlizatio everything should be a ok!

03-28-2006, 11:36 AM
What a cool idea! How many kumquats did you go with?


03-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Hand picked about 10 off of bush, washed real good (even though I do not use any pesticides or anything on the bush). Cut them in half and put them in as you would an orange. Kumquats are not as strong as an orange so I am hoping for less of a citrus taste with just a hint of the kumquat. The first batch of AO I did was straight by the recipe and came out real good but did have a stronger orange taste than I like.

It is percolating away and looking real good. Started it on March 20, so it has only been fermenting for a week.

Will post how it comes out.


04-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Fermentation slowed to nil, so I racked it off of the Kumquats and lees. Starting to clear and hope to bottle in about a week. So far to good.