PDA

View Full Version : Stirring the pot

Dmntd
03-27-2006, 01:38 PM
So... what do you think about a law that makes Illegally entering the US a Felony?

Makes sense to me.

Demented

Dan McFeeley
03-27-2006, 01:48 PM
So... what do you think about a law that makes Illegally entering the US a Felony?

Makes sense to me.

Demented

Give 'em a bottle of mead and send 'em back.

Makes sense to me. :D

WRATHWILDE
03-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I'll go along with that if I can get a retroactive bill attached that makes serving as a US president or Vice President a felony with a mandatory sentence of life in prison... to be served in the general population of the Los Angeles prison system.

Wrathwilde

Dmntd
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
There should be a two term limit for holding the office of President... 1 in office then 1 in prison.

Dmntd

Dan McFeeley
03-27-2006, 02:32 PM
I'll go along with that if I can get a retroactive bill attached that makes serving as a US president or Vice President a felony with a mandatory sentence of life in prison... to be served in the general population of the Los Angeles prison system.

L.A.? Nah -- send 'em to New York. Too much access to Pruno wine in California. ;D

memento
03-27-2006, 02:36 PM
But seriously, there are pros and cons. I think that we should enact that law right away, preventing further illegals, but grandfather the current established population with enough time to become legal. Give them like a year or 2. That seems fair to me.

Dan McFeeley
03-27-2006, 02:47 PM
But seriously, there are pros and cons. I think that we should enact that law right away, preventing further illegals, but grandfather the current established population with enough time to become legal. Give them like a year or 2. That seems fair to me.

It's definitely a tough issue, and one that won't be resolved in the near future.

Eventually, the USA will become a bi-lingual country. In Europe, this is the norm, at least. It's not unsual for Europeans, ect., to be familiar with one or more languages.

I think we're in a transition stage regarding our relations with hispanic cultures. Much more to be worked out!

kash
03-27-2006, 02:54 PM
No, we don't really need to incarcerate illegal immigrants. We currently incarcerate too many people, pay too much for the service and don't really get much benifit from extended prison stays.

Not that I'm against prison, I'm not. But it aught to be for those that need to be removed for the safety of society.

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-27-2006, 04:22 PM
The problem is that we continue to grant bulk amnesty to illegals every few years and so any sort of enforcement of the current laws has become a joke. Likewise, the ones we manage to catch and deport are back crossing the borders after a few days. I am sure that some have been picked up a dozen or more times until they finally learn enough about things to slip through. Not sure what the solution is but something has to be done.

My bigger worry is the slow degeneration of the country caused by the loss of having a common language and a common goal. Not that immigrants are at the root of these problems. We have a lot of natural born Americans that claim their Constitutional rights with one breath and condemn the US as being worse than any other country in the world. I laughed when the "America, love it or leave it" first came out. But as our society and economy become increasingly fragile, I can now relate to those in the late 60's that wanted to create a commune and live apart from all of the bullshit, right or left. If I had Bill Gate's money, I would be tempted to buy an entire island, move there with my friends and family, establish my own country, and tell the rest of the world to take a hike...

memento
03-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think we should grant amnesty to anyone. They need to follow the rules. Get a green card or whatever they need to be legal. I also don't want to uproot people who have developed a life here. Give them a chance to get legal. They get their warning and time, then they get the boot.

The border issue is different. How do you protect the borders without building a wall or hiring thousands of guards?

WRATHWILDE
03-27-2006, 05:29 PM
We have a lot of natural born Americans that claim their Constitutional rights with one breath and condemn the US as being worse than any other country in the world.

You mean those of us who can name more than one and are sick of watching the ignorant masses vote in people who decide that the best way to protect America is to strip us of our rights. I personally would rather have a President willing to sacrifice a 100 9/11's than one freedom guaranteed in the constitution... even if I, my family or friends made up a portion of the casualties. As it is this administration has done more to erode our rights than any other, and they've only just started. Unlike other administrations that have overstepped authority and been taken to task for it, they didn't actually conduct an assault on our freedoms with the intent of weakening or eliminating them. This Administration is different, it is very much their intent and they've created the perfect storm to advance their agenda. They have the Presidency, the House, the Senate and the Supreme Court stacked in their favor. I do not look forward to the erosion of our rights over the coming two decades. It's just going to get worse and worse, and when the people find that they are so oppressed that they must overthrow the government they will find that they are powerless to do so. All communications will be monitored, because they already are, more and more code words will be used to flag "suspicious" activities and these people will be detained as terrorists and enemy combatants without benefit of legal counsel, which this Administration has already done. The only freedom this administration hasn't done it's best to subvert is freedom of religion.

The report I offer up is just one facet of this administration, decide for yourself -

http://www.house.gov/judiciary_democrats/iraqrept122005/finalreport.pdf

Wrathwilde

Oskaar
03-27-2006, 07:10 PM
OK Folks,

Let's get back on topic.

Going forward if you want to go on a political rant (Pewter and Wrath) start a new subject in the Hive and preface it with "Political Rant" so those of us who want to avoid politics in our mead can do so without stumbling into a political discussion.

I spoke to Vicky and we'll probably end up making a forum called Political Pariahs or some such thing for those of you who just can't stay away from the subject. That way you can rant to your heart's content while the rest of us can read about mead without politics finding it's way into it.

Oskaar