PDA

View Full Version : The great Iodophor Taste Test

Oskaar
03-28-2006, 12:05 AM
Here's some good information on iodophor and any taste it may impart to your fermented beverages.

http://kotmf.com/articles/iodophor.php

Cheers,

Oskaar

Rezzin
08-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Great read Oskaar. Nice to know I no longer have the 'need' to drain my carboys for 20 minutes after sanitizing!

Oskaar
08-24-2006, 02:25 AM
Yeah, it's pretty wild to think that you really can't tell until the concentration is up very much higher than it would ever be for santizing purposes.

Whenever someone starts running their yap about how they can taste sanitizer, or taste if the mead has been fermented in plastic primaries, or taste sulfites or any of the other claims I've heard over the years I challenge them to a blind tasting to see just how well they really do. Never had a spot on winner thus far.

Blind tastings are great for killing off preconceived notions/biases/predjudices that people have about certain things ranging from types of wines to storage vessels, cooperage etc. It's also great for shutting up people who think they know what the hell they're talking about when they really don't! I personally love blind tastings because I get a chance to really dig down deep into what I think I know and see if it's real or not. Many times it is, and it seems like there are plenty of times when I have to re-asses what I think I know.

Cheers,

Oskaar