PDA

View Full Version : 1st true mead

jallan6977
03-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Well the potential alcohol in my honey & raisin mead has dropped to 5.5 When should I bottle it?
I still don't unerstand the hydrometer to well. Somebody tell me, if the number is 5.5, what would be the % of alcohol?
I started brewing it on 3/10/06 with a reading of 11.5 potential alcohol.

kace069
03-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Well at first the hydrometer seems a little intimidating but it is very easy to use and a mead makers best friend right after bee's and yeast.
From your post I would imagine you are using a triple scale hydrometer.
It has Specific gravity, Potential alcohol by volume, and sugar oz/gallon right?
You want to use the scale that says specific gravity.

It sounds to me like you are using the scale that tells you the potential alcohol, and that scale only works once, when you make the inital must. Its just an approximation of how strong your mead might be.
So from your post i will make some guess of what your O.G. was and where it is at now.
I would say your original gravity was about 1.084 and by looking at my hydrometer I am guessing that your mead is now at about 1.040. So if my guess are right do not bottle yet, unless you want bottle bombs. Currently your mead should be about 5.75% alcohol.
Here is a link to some more info on using a hydrometer.
http://www.leebrewery.com/hydromet.htm

hope this helps you out

Sander
03-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Hmm, less than 6% ABV in three weeks. That's pretty slow.
I also use kefir grains to make mead. Usually I get around 14% in 7-8 days. The trick is to use as many grains as you can spare.