PDA

View Full Version : Five-gallon jug good for three-gallon batch?

Voss Bender
04-10-2006, 05:08 PM
This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm getting ready to make a three-gallon batch of mead and I only have a five-gallon jug to use as a secondary fermentor. There seems to be a lot of risk of oxidation when making mead and I want to make sure that I'm not going to ruin my three-gallon batch by leaving too much head room in the carboy. Is it safe to use a five-gallon carboy for a smaller batch or should I rack into three one-gallon jugs?

JamesP
04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
It will be OK in the 5 gal while fermenting (under an air-lock).

Once it stops bubbling, then rack to the smaller carboys.

Voss Bender
04-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Are you talking about racking after the primary fermentation or do you mean that I should rack to the smaller carboys for aging?

JamesP
04-11-2006, 01:23 AM
If its under air-lock, then you won't be getting air in it to oxidize things.

So it's up to you when you want to rack it off the lees. When you do that, then split it into smaller containers.

memento
04-11-2006, 07:16 AM
I think it's important to note that, with 3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy, it is best to leave it alone as much as possible. The more you open the airlock, then more chance of oxidation. But as long as it is still fermenting, it will develope a CO2 blanket.

CosmicCharlie
04-12-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't know if this is true, but it makes sense to me - so here's what I do if there's a lot of space in a carboy: I swirl it around just a little after racking to release some CO2, which I figure will settle on top and offer a layer of protection.