PDA

View Full Version : Ooof.... the holiday is over

Miriam
04-19-2006, 06:10 PM
A week of Passover cooking, eating, and cleaning up... Today's holiday, the last of Passover week, celebrated the parting of the Red Sea. Two toddling grandsons scattering matzah crumbs far and wide, under the indulgent eye of their Grandma; ladies in the kitchen chopping vegetables and laughing; men, as usual in the living room, solemnly resolving the state of the country and international politics. During morning prayers, the rememberance of family members no longer here brings a sudden sting to the eyes...

The entree to the festive meal was chicken pot-roasted in a mild curry with apricots and dried cherries that had soaked in red wine. The chicken was removed when done, and sliced potatoes simmered in the pot juices, which reduced to a gravy. I did wish I could have some AO with that, but none of my meads are kosher for Passover. We made do with a nicely chilled, oaky Chardonnay.

Now I'm free to think of other things besides cooking. Let's think about MEAD now. ;D In fact, I propose going on a diet to burn up some of those Passover calories - nothing but dry mead for a week. The rest of the folks can order out.

I hope, for my Christian friends, that Easter was enjoyable and meadfull, in the midst of family and friends. For Dr. Siggy, Verdelho, Doron and any other Jewish forum members - chometz tomorrow!

Miriam

Oskaar
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Easter was great, we had a small gathering of fifty or so at my parents' home and we did a lamb on a spit, sausages, chickens and some cute little bunny rabbits! I have leftovers out the wazoo and have not had to go to the grocery store since Easter Sunday. I doubt that I'll be going grocery shopping this week. LOL

Cheers and Happy Passover to you and yours.

Oskaar

Fwee
04-19-2006, 11:07 PM
We had a small get-together at my mother in-law's house. We had about 15 to 20 people in and out at different times of the day.

The menu for the day?

Lamb, ham and turkey with several different side dishes.

My mom in-law makes the absolute best leg of lamb that I've ever had in my life! Actually, it's the only leg of lamb that I've ever had in my life, but still...

:D

Oskaar
04-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Sounds like a great time Fwee!!

We do our lamb on a spit, and I humbly have to say . . . It rocks out loud!

See here (http://207.5.69.177/omsoftnet/janjetina.jpg) for a pic of our lamb on the spit!

cheers,

Oskaar

Brewbear
04-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Twice the Easter, twice the food ;D
I am in the situation where 1/2 of the family is Catholic and the other (myself included) is Orthodox!
Last week-end's Easter was great, with lamb and chicken and wine.... This comming week-end's Easter features lamb stuffed grape leaves, sweet breads (made by mom), beer and pyment and AO (made by yours truly) and a special toast to my long departed dad with some casaba, some pear and some apricot brandy!! I'm sure the menu also includes other dishes, I just mentioned the ones I LOVE!!!!

Cheers to all,
Brewbear

Fwee
04-20-2006, 01:03 AM
See here (http://207.5.69.177/omsoftnet/janjetina.jpg) for a pic of our lamb on the spit! What in the world is stuck in that lamb? You weren't throwing your homemade tin-foil ninja stars at the meat again, were you? ;D

Seriously though - what is stuck in there? Is it seasoning packets or something?

Oskaar
04-20-2006, 02:33 AM
That's just folded over foil.

It keeps the stainless steel wire we use from cutting through the meat as it cooks, and keeps it firmly secured to the spit.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Miriam
04-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Oskaar, 50 people is a small gathering? I consider 25 a big deal! You are fortunate in your family and friends.

Now tell us, please, what seasonings did you use with your roasted lamb? I insert slivers of garlic into the meat, marinate in red wine and rosemary and thyme and a little olive oil. Plenty of pepper, and some salt. What do you do?

Miriam