PDA

View Full Version : Much Ado About Foaming.

Fwee
04-22-2006, 01:26 AM
:cheers:

Oskaar
04-22-2006, 04:53 AM
Bingo! LOL

Yup, a bucket is a good way to go when first starting out until you have a good idea what each yeast will do. Also in carboys just place a sanitized cloth over the top of the mouth.

With fruit melomels you'll need to press the fruit down about every couple of hours or so to keep the oxygen accessible to the yeasties, and to keep the CO2 from building up underneath it and forcing it out the mouth like a cannon. Also, you'll want to break that cap up and press it down because it can build significant heat and cause your yeasties to get stressed and produce off flavors.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Oskaar
04-22-2006, 06:00 AM
The cloth just allows the yeast access to the air, and keeps pressure from building too much to the point of a large blow-off.

You'll need to keep punching down the cap a few times a day for several days, and at least as long as the really active ferment is going. As long as you're punching the cap down you'll be fine. No worries about ruining your batch. If you let it sit untouched for a couple of days that would be a different story, but just keep on it a few times a day and you'll be fine. That's why I do most of my melomels in a food grade plastic bucket so I can get to some serious cap punching during the ferment and keep the yeasties happy, healthy and hungry.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar
04-22-2006, 07:22 AM
No worries dude! You should have seen me the first time I made my own batch of Zinfandel at my parents' home when I was a kid. I slept in the garage for a week. LOL

I got sent home from school because I smelled like wine! ;D Of course, all the kids in the neighborhood did! :D

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar
06-08-2006, 06:46 AM
Patience my ass, let's go drink something >:D >:D

Nice bottling Fwee, looks very cool! Congratulations!

Cheers,

Oskaar

ciderman
07-24-2006, 04:53 PM
fwee, sorry I'm late to the party. Nice pic.

I too had some trouble with my mel's building pressure and blowing airlocks out the 1 gallon carboys I was using. I had a cherry mel and a raspberry mel that both turned in gysers about a month after I had remodled the kithen. The wife was not impressed with the bits of fruit on the wall and ceiling.

Anyway, since then I am using a couple of 2 gallon buckets I got at the restaurant supply store. Bucket and lit was like $5 or $6 bucks. I drilled the appropriate size hole for a stopper and airlock. The lids aren't quite airtight, but if I am opening daily during primary fermentation to punch the cap, I don't see that airtight ingregrity is necessary. The 2 gallon size also allows me to used exactly 1 gallon of liquid plus the fruit without having to top up later.

Anyway, again.... sorry I'm late to the party. Just my $.02